Thread: How much gap can be filled with epoxy?

Default How much gap can be filled with epoxy?

So as you can see, Murphy snuck in during my panel alignment and I have a 1/16" gap at the butt block which equals 5/16 at the end of the panel. Of course I didn't see it until after the butt block was epoxied in place. This is the top panel of three and the gap at the bow between panels two and three. Should I cut the butt and try again or will it fill? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: How much gap can be filled with epoxy?

I can’t really see what’s doin there in your pics.
    But it seems you have a large butt block , if so , the gap can be anything pretty much, short of making a hard spot if you bend it .
    Is that Luan ply ?

In the third pic I have the two panels on top of one another to show the difference in alignment. It's marine ply. Big ugly butt block but no hard spot when flexed. The ruler is showing the size of the gap.

So... whatcha buidin?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

The allowable gap depends on how badly you don't want to or cannot make another piece.
    That is assuming you are using powders to thicken the epoxy.

How much gap can be filled with poxy? All of it, if you can get the poxy in there effectively.

Well...um... unless you used a blusher in a high-blush environ and can't get in there to remove the blush. Never been there but in that case I would think about routing the gap back to raw wood, wet the gap with neat poxy then blade in some poxy thickened with silica, wood flour and glass fibers.

Since I have no blush, or if you do not have a blushing environ, I would simply wet the gap with neat poxy then blade in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    Is that Luan ply ?
    Looks like meranti...which may be the same as luan..I wouldn't know.

I'm building the 13' Petrel catboat. I don't have anymore ply easily available to remake the panel. It is probably feasible to fill the gap but that's a lot of epoxy and $. I think I will just cut the butt block on the seam and do a better job of making sure the pieces stay aligned. Live and learn. Thanks all.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ah, I see now. I think re alignment is best, not so much for the gap or cost to fill it , but maybe to keep the whole boat straight at this early stage ?
    luan is a very cheap “mahogany” one would see in doorskins , meranti is a better flavor of wood in general, though heavy.

^ What Bruce said. Cut off the but block. You can rive it off down to the skin veneer, and then remove that by warming the joint with a heat gun and scraping or prying with a putty knife.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Spent a lot of time here chasing the wrong problem as the gap is not a problem. Agree with removing the butt block and realigning the panels before regluing the joint. Alignment of long pieces is the first order of business in hull planking. Small gaps are a non issue most of the time.
    Tom L

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lathrop View Post
    Spent a lot of time here chasing the wrong problem as the gap is not a problem. Agree with removing the butt block and realigning the panels before regluing the joint. Alignment of long pieces is the first order of business in hull planking. Small gaps are a non issue most of the time.
    My only question is why are you not using scarf joints?

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

"Fugen unter einem Zoll, mach ich mit Epoxy voll." A crib from my German Boatbuilder friends.

That aside, I agree with the panel: the butt blocks are confusing. That's far from best practice glued construction, so the answer to the question - anything below one inch - is kind of irrelevant. Why are you not scarphing? Also: How are you dealing with the longitudinal seams?

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseO30 View Post
    My only question is why are you not using scarf joints?
    The term "butt-head" originates from the ancient traditional wooden shipwright trade. It was used to describe those who employed butt-blocks in lieu of respectable joinery.
    Last edited by Mo 'Poxy; 03-07-2018 at 12:10 AM.

I'd take it apart too, just so the boat goes together symmetrically. Coarse sandpaper -- 36 or 40 grit -- on a belt sander will go through that ply in no time.
    -Dave