Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever hinged their mast?

Default Re: Anyone ever hinged their mast?

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    Is there an upper limit (size of boat, weight of mast, etc.) to installing a tabernacle? I was just grumbling recently about the expense of launching/hauling, and a good chunk of the cost involves the crane, labor, etc. for stepping and unstepping the mast. This is an interesting idea. My boat is 24 LOD, 11 beam, about a 25 foot (solid, heavy) mast ...
    Sixty footers do it in Perth, Western Australia, every time they go out to ocean race. They have to do it, to get under a string of low bridges between the main sailing area further up the river, and the ocean. Here's a video from on board a 60 footer which, if I recall correctly, uses an old mast off a 12 Metre.

Thames Barges and/or Norfolk Wherries did it, too, as do lots of trailerable yachts and river cruisers on the Norfolk Broads in England. Look here and you'll see boats bigger than yours that can go from full sail, to dropping the mast and passing through the bridge, all within 90 seconds. The biggest of them (below) has a 75 ft mast.

35raisenabeat (1).jpg

The guys from the Broads or Perth must surely be the experts in all this - surely no other places have so many large boats that drop their rigs so often. Contacting riggers from there would surely be your best bet.
    Last edited by Chris249; 10-31-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark View Post
    Is there an upper limit (size of boat, weight of mast, etc.) to installing a tabernacle? I was just grumbling recently about the expense of launching/hauling, and a good chunk of the cost involves the crane, labor, etc. for stepping and unstepping the mast. This is an interesting idea. My boat is 24 LOD, 11 beam, about a 25 foot (solid, heavy) mast ...
    How big do you want?

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Yeah, I originally thought tabernacles were only realistic on smaller boats, but I was clearly wrong!