Thread: 70 Cargo containers in the ocean off of NC

Default 70 Cargo containers in the ocean off of NC

If you are around Oregon Inlet, be careful out there!

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1df7483
    "'Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."

C.S. Lewis

Default Re: 70 Cargo containers in the ocean off of NC

Does anyone know what cleanup efforts are required?

I know many of these containers float with the top roughly even with or just below the surface - so they are an incredible hazard to navigation.

The idea of running into solid steel at 7 knots in the middle of the night scares the willies out of me.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I thought there was a move to have a degradable plug that wood let them sink after a bit. But my relatively new container doesn't have anything like that. The little pressie equalization holes are in the upper corners and don't seem like they would be enough and they may not even be submerged.

I came down off a wave to land atop an awash container some years back. We thought we were going to sink as the planking seams were all started and we were leaking dangerously. In the forepeak, where you could see the hull from the inside, we had very beautiful and frightening parabolic arcs of water meeting each other along the center line. How we kept afloat is a tale for another time.

In the moment we had no idea what we'd hit. The boat's owner thought a rock but we were in deep water. Once back to the Cape we got her hauled and found the slight flattening of the keel bottom and a smudge of metal that really showed what we'd hit. We also learned that a barge had lost a few dozen containers about four days earlier.

These things are incredibly hazardous. They should be built with multiple freeing ports in reverse - bottom swings in and top swings out, to cause rapid sinking. And there should be heavy penalties beyond any loss of cargo for arriving in port with fewer containers than one set out with.

pretty good information from Yachting World.

Ian, if the container floods quickly, is that enough? What about the cargo inside? Suppose it is consumer electrons with foam packing around it and then wrapped in plastic or bagged? The cargo will float the container.

Quote Originally Posted by ahp View Post
    Ian, if the container floods quickly, is that enough? What about the cargo inside? Suppose it is consumer electrons with foam packing around it and then wrapped in plastic or bagged? The cargo will float the container.
    It'd raise costs, but insist that there be enough weight in the container to make it sink.

The FO of my boat ran into a bag full of diesel fuel. It seems that during times of low tanker availability, they put bags in containers, fill 'em up with whatever liquid & ship 'em. Any way, the slap of running into the bag popped off a seacock hose & no one had it together enough to find it (it was in a hanging locker). If the bag had been in a container, I'm sure she would've sunk.

I can't believe the shipping companies have no liability.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

here is a sobering thought on those containers.. tons of HCL is missing in a couple of those containers.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/a...dea25a0f0.html
    "'Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."

C.S. Lewis

Would make for good targets for gunnery practice, or for an A-10. It is amazing that the shipping companies have no liability in this.
    The shop was flagged in Liberia. Operated by Liberian standards?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It shouldn't mater where it is flagged if it enters US waters it should be bonded somehow.

At least one container has a cargo of sulfuric acid. This is a by product of the huge PCS phosphate mine about 40 miles away from me alongside the Pamlico River. Probably shipped out of Wilmington or Norfolk.

I doubt that foam packing would prevent the vast majority of containers from sinking if they had a significantly large safety port.
    Tom L

I wonder if it would be worthwhile for a salvage company will send a tug out to try and find the containers, get a line through one of their eyes, and tow them into harbor. (Would have to be Wilmington or Hampton Roads - they would never make it thought any of the Outer Banks inlets.) Much of the cargo could be waterproof, and the containers themselves can't be cheap.
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)