Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Dubai

Default Ugly Dubai

Dubai is an ugly hell for many. Gross and unforgiving. Really put me in a bad mood. With flight changes it took me 30 hours to get home yesterday. I may have to go back for the story which reaches all the way to the White House. One day over a beer a tell you what happened, just like a international spy novel.
    King Moonraiser:
    A toy is never truly happy until it is loved by a child.

Default Re: Ugly Dubai

Sounds like a story worth waiting for.

There were a few moments I was actually concerned about my security. I had two guy follow me. My phone, ipad and computer were hacked.
    King Moonraiser:

Wow Ted that's crazy, I would have guessed it to be a very law and order place.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Wow Ted that's crazy, I would have guessed it to be a very law and order place.
    It is a law and order place designed to keep people in check. Nobody steps out of line there. When you step into immigration at the airport they scan your passport and do a facial scan. There are cameras everywhere - like every 50 to 100 feet. They know where you are at all times. Every communication message, online web tracking of any device is filtered through their servers. They are big brother.

It may be why UAE knows can run and control folks like Jared Kushner who spent many visits here looking for money over the last few years. It begins with Emirate Airlines who offers you wifi when you board their planes. The servers begin to scan your devices immediately. Most investment companies like Goldman Sachs, Baine capital and others issue throw away phones and secured laptops which are wiped or donated away to prevent intrusions into their businesses when venturing over there.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-03-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

Once was enough for me. Mind you I was just a pilot on a 3-day layover.

At least you weren't there in July.

And then there are those that feed their ego and boast about working there...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    It is a law and order place designed to keep people in check. Nobody steps out of line there. When you step into immigration at the airport they scan your passport and do a facial scan. There are cameras everywhere - like every 50 to 100 feet. They know where you are at all times. Every communication message, online web tracking of any device is filtered through their servers. They are big brother.

It may be why UAE knows can run and control folks like Jared Kushner who spent many visits here looking for money over the last few years. It begins with Emirate Airlines who offers you wifi when you board their planes. The servers begin to scan your devices immediately. Most investment companies like Goldman Sachs, Baine capital and others issue throw away phones and secured laptops which are wiped or donated away to prevent intrusions into their businesses when venturing over there.
    I missed what was going on Ted I thought you the victim of standard every day criminals, not government sponsored criminals.

My elder brother was a consultant on the Burge Tower, when things went a bit south. He was very happy when he no longer needed to go there. One of the lauded hŰtels, where he stayed, he described as a bit roadside.

Wow! Emirates scanning phones? Major companies using throw away phones?

I know they controlled the internet, and that you don't want to get in trouble there, but wasn't aware of the hacking. Fortunately I think I've flown through Dubai for the last time, last month.

I've described it to others a 'tacky like Vegas, without the fun.' I didn't hook my phone up to Emirates wifi, because IIRC, it wasn't free. I simply watched the 'ICE' inflight entertainment for the 15hrs.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

And then there's the guest workers who build the place, live in miserable slum conditions and get paid peanuts. The whole place disgusts me beyond words.

..... snip.....

And that's just the departure airport in the US, eh?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

A part of the world I’ll never see. And I’m good with that.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    A part of the world Iíll never see. And Iím good with that.
    One has limited time and choices need to be made, whether this or that.

Personally, the Arab Emirates do not afford many attractions, besides their sumptous high-rise buildings, gawdiness and new-rich extravaganza, coupled with greedy and uncaring service providers.

Not unlike some parts of Las Vegas, Silicon Valley (as of late) etc.

But there is Iran, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Myanmar (formerly Burma), Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam etc....my daughter and her husband have visited more countries in that part of the world than myself !

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    And then there are those that feed their ego and boast about working there...
    Wow. Some folks have got it bad.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

There were a few moments I was actually concerned about my security. I had two guy follow me. My phone, ipad and computer were hacked.
    Ted, when you say "hacked", what do you mean?

I'd tend to think that if any country was "hacking" your electronic devices, you wouldn't be aware of it. Actually, instead of "any country", I should say "if all the countries hacking your electronic devices....."

I had the laptop I'm typing this on "hacked" when I was in Dubai - but not by a Dubai-based individual. It was a clumsy ransom attempt.

I was, as I am now, running a VPN and when the computer locked and the ransom demand appeared, I simply re-booted and continued on... but not through that site. What I was doing at the time was attempting to find a site to live-stream a F1 GP. Guys doing that sort of hacking don't base themselves in strong law and order countries.

As for facial recognition - get used to it. FB just today sent me five notifications where my face appeared in posts by other people. I had the option to take action if the images were inappropriate (like I've seen when someone in Asia tried to scam a friend). I had some involvement with the company behind it being introduced here for border control. When I fly into Australia, I scan my passport and walk through - no need to line up and front a customs officer. I'll take it any day over the old 40 minute queues.

There's another tech that's starting to make it's presence felt. Walk through a mall and you'll start finding messages offering special deals at, for example, the store you are just about to walk past. I'm no fan of it.... but hey, Google and FB have to make a buck, eh?

That mall ad tech was featured in that Tom Cruise movie about pre-crime, I forget the name. Also in The Fifth Element too, IIRC.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    When I fly into Australia, I scan my passport and walk through - no need to line up and front a customs officer. I'll take it any day over the old 40 minute queues.
    The US has a similar program called Global Entry. I had a SmartGate pass which got me through passport control pretty quick in Dubai. Because it was only with Emirates, it didn't work for me in Terminal 2, which is the regional terminal, and an incredible melting pot of the region. It probably doesn't work in Terminal 1 because while international, it's for airlines like Delta, United, etc... not Emirates.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Ted, when you say "hacked", what do you mean?

I'd tend to think that if any country was "hacking" your electronic devices, you wouldn't be aware of it. Actually, instead of "any country", I should say "if all the countries hacking your electronic devices....."

I had the laptop I'm typing this on "hacked" when I was in Dubai - but not by a Dubai-based individual. It was a clumsy ransom attempt.

I was, as I am now, running a VPN and when the computer locked and the ransom demand appeared, I simply re-booted and continued on... but not through that site. What I was doing at the time was attempting to find a site to live-stream a F1 GP. Guys doing that sort of hacking don't base themselves in strong law and order countries.

As for facial recognition - get used to it. FB just today sent me five notifications where my face appeared in posts by other people. I had the option to take action if the images were inappropriate (like I've seen when someone in Asia tried to scam a friend). I had some involvement with the company behind it being introduced here for border control. When I fly into Australia, I scan my passport and walk through - no need to line up and front a customs officer. I'll take it any day over the old 40 minute queues.

There's another tech that's starting to make it's presence felt. Walk through a mall and you'll start finding messages offering special deals at, for example, the store you are just about to walk past. I'm no fan of it.... but hey, Google and FB have to make a buck, eh?
    Sorry I talk about my assignment or why some unsavory powerful people wanted to monitor me and stop us over the web. I know you are quite aware of how things are there. When we cross paths again I will tell you all about it.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-04-2018 at 02:56 AM.
    King Moonraiser:

Walk through a mall
    You're kidding, right?

Ted, if something bothers you so, are you sure you want to mention the whole topic here at all?

My company has hired quite a few former Emerites pilots. I’ve flown with two of them. Both said the same of their experiences living in Dubai. Fun for a while when you are young and single. You are NEVER going to be accepted into local society. There is a true caste system consisting of the native Emerites, the white collar foreigners (such as pilots) and finally the laborers. One cannot move between these divisions.
    They both also said there is a definite undercurrent of dislike of Americans and Europeans and that they would NEVER even consider marrying and raising a family there. That’s part of the reason they left. The other being that Emerites Air is a very draconian company to work for.
    Also flew with a former Qatar pilot. His experiences were much worse.
    All 3 were very happy to be here and back in the states.

Of course there will ve those that challenge these observations based on thier work experiences in the UAE, but these come firsthand from people that actually lived there for several years while under the employment of a UAE based company. That’s enough for me to know I’m never going to spend a minute or a dime there.

I've heard the same from a number of pilots.

If you didn't need the money you'd never go near the place.

I'm glad I had the 3-day layover there, to see what it was like and get a hint of a feel of the place. To be honest, the ruling family there, in Dubai, have done an amazing thing considering they have no oil. They have risked-all in creating a crossroads, a hub and a meeting-place, to siphon off money from the other nearby states. It was a gamble, and it has paid off.

At least you don't see this...

Quote Originally Posted by Henning 4148 View Post
    Ted, if something bothers you so, are you sure you want to mention the whole topic here at all?
    I was deeply bothered. waited till i left the country to publish even this. I have signed a non disclosure agreement. It can not be released until the producer moves and publishes it. I did see dubai society and how they treat people. Import labor. The double standards of piety of Islam and whoredom.

Did I mention there was no bacon?
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 03-04-2018 at 02:09 PM.
    King Moonraiser:

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    My company has hired quite a few former Emerites pilots. I’ve flown with two of them. Both said the same of their experiences living in Dubai. Fun for a while when you are young and single. You are NEVER going to be accepted into local society. There is a true caste system consisting of the native Emerites, the white collar foreigners (such as pilots) and finally the laborers. One cannot move between these divisions.
    They both also said there is a definite undercurrent of dislike of Americans and Europeans and that they would NEVER even consider marrying and raising a family there. That’s part of the reason they left. The other being that Emerites Air is a very draconian company to work for.
    Also flew with a former Qatar pilot. His experiences were much worse.
    All 3 were very happy to be here and back in the states.

Of course there will ve those that challenge these observations based on thier work experiences in the UAE, but these come firsthand from people that actually lived there for several years while under the employment of a UAE based company. That’s enough for me to know I’m never going to spend a minute or a dime there.
    A friend of mine is a boatbuilder, spent several stints in Dubai supervising superyacht interior rebuilds. He lived in the compound set aside for outsiders, very rarely went out of that other than to work, says, "DONT GO THERE".
    The pay was great, but its a seriously nasty place for anyone other than the well connected Arabs.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Separate compounds for workers sounds a lot like Saudi, not Dubai. In Dubai I’ve seen Christmas decorations on private residences. Also Christmas trees in the airport.

I was deeply bothered. waited till i left the country to publish even this. I have signed a non disclosure agreement. It can not be released until the producer moves and publishes it. I did see dubai society and how they treat people. Import labor. The double standards of piety of Islam and whoredom.

Did I mention there was no bacon?
    I can guarantee you that there is readily available bacon

It's funny, talking about different standards. My son.... and all other passengers were offloaded from a plane today - Canada to USA - a United 737-800. They'd stuffed the door hinge... couldn't close the door. The replacement plane was delayed.... they had to replace the oxygen bottles, because they'd used them on the previous flight. He isn't impressed with flight standards in the US, nor the high cost of flights.

But back to Dubai. I disagree with the issue of acceptance by Emiratis. I found them to be very accepting and welcoming and many remain long distance friends of mine, a couple of years on from my stint there. They are certainly very cool towards those they perceive as judgmental of them. I've heard them be scathing of some aloof Brits, for example. Treat them as equals and you will be treated well.

I don't see their society as being double standards. I see it as tolerance. An example - I worked with some gays who had high level jobs. Under sharia law, one might not expect that to be treated too well. Whilst I doubt something like Sydney's Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras would have been accepted... there was certainly acceptance of people living in gay relationships.

Re imported labour. Sure. But look at the other side of it. Those labourers are housed and fed and send a lot of cash (in relative terms) back to otherwise impoverished families in the hill tribes of Pakistan, or to Sri Lanka, or..... The guy who pressed my shirts (hey, I washed and dried them...) was a Chemistry student from Pakistan. Not much different from how I put myself through uni in Oz (I had part time jobs - picking up rubbish in the uni quadrangle, stacking books in the library, working weekends in an equipment hire business) - what's the difference?

It's funny, talking about different standards. My son.... and all other passengers were offloaded from a plane today - Canada to USA - a United 737-800. They'd stuffed the door hinge... couldn't close the door. The replacement plane was delayed.... they had to replace the oxygen bottles, because they'd used them on the previous flight. He isn't impressed with flight standards in the US, nor the high cost of flights.

But back to Dubai. I disagree with the issue of acceptance by Emiratis. I found them to be very accepting and welcoming and many remain long distance friends of mine, a couple of years on from my stint there. They are certainly very cool towards those they perceive as judgmental of them. I've heard them be scathing of some aloof Brits, for example. Treat them as equals and you will be treated well.

I don't see their society as being double standards. I see it as tolerance. An example - I worked with some gays who had high level jobs. Under sharia law, one might not expect that to be treated too well. Whilst I doubt something like Sydney's Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras would have been accepted... there was certainly acceptance of people living in gay relationships.

Re imported labour. Sure. But look at the other side of it. Those labourers are housed and fed and send a lot of cash (in relative terms) back to otherwise impoverished families in the hill tribes of Pakistan, or to Sri Lanka, or..... The guy who pressed my shirts (hey, I washed and dried them...) was a Chemistry student from Pakistan. Not much different from how I put myself through uni in Oz (I had part time jobs - picking up rubbish in the uni quadrangle, stacking books in the library, working weekends in an equipment hire business) - what's the difference?
    I can tell you right now that at least at the major airlines in North America the “flight standards” you speak of are higher here than anyplace else on the planet.
    Im not talking about luxury appointments on the Jets, but rather the training of the emplyoyees, especially the crews and maintnence workers, and the rules and culture we work under.
    And the flight you mentioned above? It was delayed BECAUSE the aircrew and maintenance did thier jobs and followed the rules to-the-letter. A couple times every month I have to make the sometimes unpopular decision to delay a flight. People miss connections, and I might get home late as well. But I’ll do it every time instead of cutting a corner. My company supports me fully. That’s the true meaning of “flight standards”.

I know people that live and work in Dubai. They live, of course, on the "right side of the tracks". Security is very tight, and should be. Dubai represents everything that the radical Islamists hate, and would like to reduce to a smoking pile of rubble.

There are a lot of low level guest workers there, and they work for a pittance. They are not worth much more than a pittance. Now we can get into a heated argument about the worth of a human being.

From what has been told to me many of these guest workers come from a poverty environment, and it seems that some haven't even seen a garden rake before, much less a house hold dishwasher. What is their economic value?

It seems odd to me as well that you are saying flight standards are not good when they are delaying a flight for a maintenance problem. Things break. Should they overlook that and go anyway??

Here's and article about our maintenance cancellation rate and it's pretty incredible how few cancellations we take for maintenance and we are working very hard at reducing the number of delays over three hours (it's likely the lowest in the industry already but that's not enough). We can't keep such a low cancellation rate without maintaining a very high standard of maintenance.
    https://news.delta.com/canceling-can...set-new-record
    Tom

We've been enjoying a long period of low flight accidents here in the US. I'd say that is a result of the high quality flight standards and maintenance that has been implemented over the past years based on real-world experience with the equipment and personnel. As a customer, I'd rather the airline erred on the side of caution, even if I wind up being delayed. It beats the alternatives, hands-down.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

A good friend of mine has lived and worked in Qatar for about fifteen years now. She has raised two sons there, and spends family time exploring the desert and seashore on their 4-wheelers. She loves it there.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

The way I read his messages yesterday, that door hinge wasn't just a breakage. Operator error goes to flight standards in my book. Either way, let's call it the flying experience. It doesn't rate highly in the experience of pretty much everyone I know when they compare the US to civilised countries.

I've had similar experiences to Ted's 30 hour trip. Once with Singapore Airlines and once with Air New Zealand. They happen.

My ex isn't a fan of United, having experienced their delightful bumping regime.