Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: brothm edict #1

Default Re: brothm edict #1

Small boats - preferably small boats made from wood. If I can throw them over my shoulder, that's even better. Until two years ago, I'd never really been a sailor, but I took a class up at WoodenBoat and have been dying to work up a small, car-toppable day sailor for the local lakes and ponds, but have been too busy to build and too busy to think about sailing it, sadly. I get to paddle once in a while, but not as much as I'd like.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I like how the parts come together and the sound on the water.

I understand the love of wooden vessels, but I fear I'm in the minority in that I prefer wooden Cape Island "stink boats". My last was a 38' Northumberland c/w 230 cid Chevy six, 4, maybe 5 knots tooling about the harbour on .75 gal/hr. 1100 rpm, and let those "speed demons" rush past while my guests enjoyed a sedate day on the water. I would have to say that a wooden boat will communicate her likes and dislikes better than other mediums, and this would be the main draw for me. Having sailed as a second engineer for a couple of years I don't feel comfortable relying on a breeze for propulsion, must have that thumper in the basement.

There is a beauty all of their own for the earlier versions of these (primarily) inshore fishing vessels, their seaworthiness and adaptability to various purposes is unmatched. Hence I will continue to find the "boat of MY dreams".

Dumah
    Duct tape can't fix stupid but it will muffle the sound

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    I don't know if people that have only boated on fiberglass boats know the different feel in a good way when boating on a wooden boat. So as the old say goes, you don't know what you don't know. Or is it Do you know what you don't know. Personally walking into a wooden shed is a natural high too.
    I've had friends out who have always sailed on 'glass boats. They have several reactions: The boat is so stable! The sound is completely different - quieter too. The boat feels more at one with the water than my boat. Then there's the warmth of a 70+ YO interior that just can't be replicated on a new boat.

Some of these are obviously design differences - but everyone who has been out on her has always said "We hope we can go sailing again soon!". Michele's cooking doesn't hurt that feeling...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I love building. I only have time and attention span for small projects— kayaks, sailing dinghys. 9 so far.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    My interest comes from originally being a plastic boat sailor, then seeing a couple paddling a beautiful stripper canoe on Loch Ness. I had a long chat with them and admired their boat, then I just had to build one. That, and a general interest in wood working, turning etc. got me started.
    What is this? An anecdote about Loch Ness with no mention of you-know-what? E.g. “as we talked I heard a sluicing of water behind me, and when I turned...”. Etc.

And then the murders began.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Ours takes us places, thousands and thousands of miles locally, and some off to far shores.

FB_IMG_1508362636976.jpg
    Last edited by John B; 03-05-2018 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Thanks, Peter. In fact, photos are pretty low on my priority list at the moment. But I may get round to something like that eventually.

I do have a mobile phone, but I'm not a smartphone fan. Very intrusive things. I dread the moment the phone appears in the middle of a conversation and I am compelled to view 20 photos of a baby that looks exactly like every other baby, or a video of something I could perfectly well envisage from a single sentence, or a selfie of a mug I've seen a thousand times before but with a slightly different background........

I joyfully embrace dinosaurhood!
    I have to have a smart phone for work, but I also haul it out to show people pictures of my boat.

My interest in sailing started when I was four, and my father took me sailing on land (beaches of Normandy.) My interest in wooden boats started when we moved to Maine, and my father bought a Merry Mac, then later a Barnegat 20.

I became fascinated with boats, their history and design as well as sailing them. As a teenager, I discovered Chapelle's books, and got heavily into the history of design.

I'm mostly a small boat guy, and mostly a sailor, rather than a woodworker, but I have designed and built a couple of small boats.

This is Black Swan, a sharpie with a Snipe rig:

And this is Meerkat, a very small catboat:

I appreciate wooden stink boats too.
    Particularly the aft cabin huon pine gardner powered cray boats with a wet well.
    I used to watch them going out , and coming back in all weathers , sitting low in the water , as solid and steady as you like.
    They often had paravane stabilizers , or a bit of sail to stabilize the boat a bit in heavy seas.
    One boat , probably the best , was set up to sail efficiently , in the right conditions.
    She could do 8 knots under power , or sail.
    But I always envied those men who went out every day , on their wooden cray boats that they have owned for many years , to catch a few crays.
    And I envied them too for their boats , the way they sit so low , and take whatever nature can throw at them.
    And yes , listening to those Gardners would be soothing too.
    Rob J.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dumah View Post
    I understand the love of wooden vessels, but I fear I'm in the minority in that I prefer wooden Cape Island "stink boats". My last was a 38' Northumberland c/w 230 cid Chevy six, 4, maybe 5 knots tooling about the harbour on .75 gal/hr. 1100 rpm, and let those "speed demons" rush past while my guests enjoyed a sedate day on the water. I would have to say that a wooden boat will communicate her likes and dislikes better than other mediums, and this would be the main draw for me. Having sailed as a second engineer for a couple of years I don't feel comfortable relying on a breeze for propulsion, must have that thumper in the basement.

There is a beauty all of their own for the earlier versions of these (primarily) inshore fishing vessels, their seaworthiness and adaptability to various purposes is unmatched. Hence I will continue to find the "boat of MY dreams".

Dumah