Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Dynamic Force Engine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    90,629

    Default Dynamic Force Engine

    Toyota has created the world's most thermally efficient production petrol engine. It converts forty percent of the energy in its fuel into mechanical energy. The rest is lost to heat and noise.

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Wales
    Posts
    19,919

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Tell us more about the heat and noise.
    Creationists aren't mad - they're possessed of demons.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    47,605

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,592

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Capturing and utilizing the heat produced to generate electricity to charge the batteries in the hybrids would be my next step, if I were that clever.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    9,428

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Hopefully the CVT mentioned in the article is better than the ones I’ve driven. They are horrible. Feels like there’s a rubber band between the flywheel and the diff, and they are dangerously sluggish off the line.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    90,629

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    Capturing and utilizing the heat produced to generate electricity to charge the batteries in the hybrids would be my next step, if I were that clever.
    That's how Mercedes attains a 50% thermal efficiency in their F1 engine, through the use of a turbocharger that spins not only a compressor but also a generator. The Mercedes F1 engine might even be rightly called a turbo compounding engine, rather than simply a turbo charged engine.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 03-03-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Rio de Janeiro, BRAZIL
    Posts
    4,410

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    That's how Mercedes attains a 50% thermal efficiency in their F1 engine, through the use of a turbocharger that spins not only a compressor but also a generator. The Mercedes F1 engine might even be rightly called a turbo compounding engine, rather than simply a turbo charged engine.
    Some gearbox to drive the generator, in view of the RPM of the turbocharger and massive heat in the vicinity.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    90,629

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    Some gearbox to drive the generator, in view of the RPM of the turbocharger and massive heat in the vicinity.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,592

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    That's how Mercedes attains a 50% thermal efficiency in their F1 engine, through the use of a turbocharger that spins not only a compressor but also a generator. The Mercedes F1 engine might even be rightly called a turbo compounding engine, rather than simply a turbo charged engine.
    But that requires additional energy, while using the wasted heat would not.

    Now how to use the wasted noise.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Bradford, VT
    Posts
    6,484

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    60% of the energy goes to heat and noise, it'll be right at home here

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,897

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Anything with a cam chain gets my vote.

    The very idea of using a wearout-able drive belt on something so essential as cam/piston timing strikes me as insane.

    ...Types Andy, whose Peugeot 405 engine ground (and I use the word exactly) to a halt when its drive belt snapped one Summer morning after a mere 180000 miles. The worst thing was, two miles earlier, I'd wondered whether I should get this third drive belt replaced as soon as.
    "We were schooner-rigged and rakish, with a long and lissome hull ..."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,886

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    60% of the energy goes to heat and noise, it'll be right at home here
    You talking about marriage?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    new zealand
    Posts
    3,342

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    Anything with a cam chain gets my vote.

    The very idea of using a wearout-able drive belt on something so essential as cam/piston timing strikes me as insane.

    ...Types Andy, whose Peugeot 405 engine ground (and I use the word exactly) to a halt when its drive belt snapped one Summer morning after a mere 180000 miles. The worst thing was, two miles earlier, I'd wondered whether I should get this third drive belt replaced as soon as.
    Camchains aren't a guarantee of trouble free motoring
    Just ask some of those Audi V8 owners about their cam chain experience. When it all goes horribly wrong, it isn't pretty!

    Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    New Zealand's Far North
    Posts
    8,134

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    Camchains aren't a guarantee of trouble free motoring
    Just ask some of those Audi V8 owners about their cam chain experience. When it all goes horribly wrong, it isn't pretty!

    Pete
    BMWs too! Camchains do seem to last a lot longer than belts. Usually it is the guides that go first.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Baltimore Maryland
    Posts
    11,406

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Hopefully the CVT mentioned in the article is better than the ones I’ve driven. They are horrible. Feels like there’s a rubber band between the flywheel and the diff, and they are dangerously sluggish off the line.
    Man do you have that right.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

    You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    10,725

    Default Re: Dynamic Force Engine

    Timing chains are great ... but only as strong as the weakest part of the design ... which is often times plastic tensioners and/or guides ...

    But absolutely, I prefer them over a belt.

    BTW- that engine a nice step forward.
    Nothing else matters but how I raise my children ... and their opinion of me, as a father.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •