Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SO Pahi

Default Re: SO Pahi

Getting my hand in on the keyboard, I see that the correct pic from files has shown and to make sure that I am fully back in swing will follow up with another to help fill out the picture..... this is a pic taken from inside the cabin, showing the companionway and sliding fisherman type hatch overhead.SO Pahi ama companionway.jpg
    Last edited by Lugalong; 08-14-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Using this message to fill in the above picture, at the same time as getting my hand in at pic attachment ( the last attempt seems to have failed)...although, there must have merely been a delay in the posting process, which. has caused a duplication of the companionway pic.
    I must persevere and get it right first time every time.
    To explain more about this pic - the companionway has an area with overhead clearance enough to stand up, with a dodger covering and keeping the weather out when the sliding hatch is open.
    When the hatch is closed, there is sitting headroom at the galley (situated to the lefthand just out of the picture).
    On the right side the pic is the double berth space.
    Attachment 21073
    Last edited by Lugalong; 08-12-2018 at 05:12 PM.

This attached sketch is my own effort ( done to avoid copyright infringement) in order to show what Capt Samuel Wallis saw and drew in the Tuamotu archipelago, when sailing the South Pacific.

His original drawing is the only evidence we have of SO Pahi sailing, and clearly shows that the craft had a rig best described as a schooner in configuration.
    Besides the original drawing (kept in the Australian National Museum), Wallis seized a small canoe to be kept for posterity; in the British museum. ( see - Tuamotus canoe in/on the museum web page)
    Also kept in the British museum is a sail( see British museum web page), that probably came back to Britain with Wallis at the same time as the little canoe.

Other than Wallis, there is no other person claiming to have seen Pahi sailing, and this includes Admiral Paris (who did do a scale drawing of a large Pahi).
    Paris also made a Pahi model (based on his drawing, that is kept in a French museum)) and although the model clearly has two masts, there is only one sail and a puzzling explanation for this strange configuration.

Sorting out of this confusing info has become part of my research and deliberation leading to the design of Pahi Iti.
    More of my findings can be included in this thread, if there are any others who care about these strange craft.Pahi sailing seen by Wallis.jpg
    Last edited by Lugalong; 08-14-2018 at 08:19 AM.

A bit of art going on there on the windscreen/ hatch, very nice.
    Pahi iti, Little Pahi eh, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    A bit of art going on there on the windscreen/ hatch, very nice.
    Pahi iti, Little Pahi eh, nice.
    Ay John, the build as a whole could be called art rather than pure boatbuilding.
    What you describe as a 'windscreen' is the lower portion of a dodger and making it this way I figure a Lexan 'window' is going to be an improvement on a soft clear plastic light sewn into the fabric dodger.
    'little Pahi' is right......good to hear a word of approval on that.
    By the way, I kicked myself in the butt and got around to seeing the name Mary Harrigan on the transom of the lovely schooner. on the Cruising club pontoon dock.
    cheers

I love the creativity in your build. Seems a sort of freedom of ideas and concepts. Refreshing to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I love the creativity in your build. Seems a sort of freedom of ideas and concepts. Refreshing to look at.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

There is a down side to working this way, though, because it takes so long.
    Still, it does mean that usable space is tailored to suit, without waste or excess.
    This sort of design is prolly up your street Small boats, in the way that beam-wise asymmetry makes provision for imaginative use of space.
    Even though Pahi Iti is not as small as this type of double canoe could be and still have habitable space, at least I am learning how to get down to micro proportions
    Last edited by Lugalong; 08-14-2018 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugalong View Post
    Ay John, the build as a whole could be called art rather than pure boatbuilding.
    What you describe as a 'windscreen' is the lower portion of a dodger and making it this way I figure a Lexan 'window' is going to be an improvement on a soft clear plastic light sewn into the fabric dodger.
    'little Pahi' is right......good to hear a word of approval on that.
    By the way, I kicked myself in the butt and got around to seeing the name Mary Harrigan on the transom of the lovely schooner. on the Cruising club pontoon dock.
    cheers
    I don't know how much you need but Bunnings have short rolls of 1 metre wide 1mm lexan/ polycarbonate . I bought a 5 metre roll for $80, but I think they had shorter. I made side windows for my dodger out of it. With big panels its a bit noisy but smaller and bent like you're doing it'll do that job well.

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    I don't know how much you need but Bunnings have short rolls of 1 metre wide 1mm lexan/ polycarbonate . I bought a 5 metre roll for $80, but I think they had shorter. I made side windows for my dodger out of it. With big panels its a bit noisy but smaller and bent like you're doing it'll do that job well.
    Thanks for that....Bunnings here I come. Since painting is not far off, it will be good to have the window ready

With time being filled by the effort to make progress on the build. So, drawings that I had planned to publish here, have had to be put on hold.
    A pic of the lee hull's extended end piece is attached ( hopefully) to show how the characteristic Pahi head rails are being included in my own take on the design.Pahi ITI head piece.jpg