Thread: Snarleyow model

Default Snarleyow model

posting these by request. ........

Default Re: Snarleyow model

Bob: She was intended to be a pond yacht, and she sits nicely on her lines with bare poles, however fully rigged she has a real list. I wasn't able to get her internal ballast quite low enough.

The old pond yachts frequently had a lead shoe keel tacked on to deal with this issue. When you are in a museum collection and see rigged models with sails, pretty much every time I've tapped on the keels, there is a lead strip on it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like you can get to the internal ballast. If you could, some could be swapped for a shoe keel.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yep,.... I pretty much closed the door on that option when I glued the deck down.

..... I had a PM request, and some conversation for this.

For those here,.... Snarleyow is a little cat-cutter in the collection of Mystic Seaport. They do not have her rig, just the hull. I wanted the model as a typical late 19th century plank on edge cutter, so I scandalized the rig off Fox, another little cutter in the Seaport collection.

very cool, looks like fun.

I built a cutter pond yacht 20+- years ago, here's her hull today, 18" lod. and about 3' long counting the reefing bow sprit and boom sails wonderfully in 5-8 mph of wind.

Last edited by Daniel Noyes; 03-04-2018 at 08:13 PM.

Ahh,... Very nice!

Does Snarleyow float on her lines now?... if so you could likely add a significant amount of lead outside and she would still float plenty high to sail as a Pond Yacht... just not on her painted waterline.

Yes, I think that would be a workable solution. I might try it sometime. It would be fun to actually see her on the water.

This is a very timely thread.I have recently tracked down a copy of the book of the letters between W.P. Stephens and N.G. Herreshoff and the boat gets several mentions.I do remember John Gardner writing a little about it too.So its nice to see the boat in 3 dimensions.

If anyone is interested....

Quote Originally Posted by nedL View Post
    Yes, I think that would be a workable solution. I might try it sometime. It would be fun to actually see her on the water.
    Any direct scaled down copy of an existing boat will lose stability, stability scales as the cube of the scale, and wind on the sails scales as the square. So your only solution will be to do as Daniel says and add lead to the bottom of the keel or to the bottom of a removable fin to pull the VcG wayy down. By using a removable fin you will not destroy her looks as a display piece whilst moving the CoG even further down.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

also you might look to the weight o her rig. The mast and top mast look way over built for what she needs sailing... though the roughest treatment a Pond Yacht rig sees is typically coming in and out of the car rather than on the water.

Low hanging fruit to reduce weight would be to swap out the cloth sails for a thin plastic... i have found the "linnen" white plastic table cloths are cheap very light and have the look of cloth... also they shed water so do not gain weight in a knock down.

I was wondering if it was a sailing model with that sparse deck. I was minded of these…

https://anmm.blog/2009/10/30/two-footer-recollections/

Thank you, all good advice. Someday I may get back to it. ....... Quite honestly the model was something I did in 2-3 weeks time as more of a quick display model for a short period of time, that I had also intended to be a pond model for afterwards. I obviously didn't give much thought to that aspect of things. Since about a week after finishing it has pretty much sat in the basement. That was about 15 years ago....

Thank you, all good advice. Someday I may get back to it. ....... Quite honestly the model was something I did in 2-3 weeks time as more of a quick display model for a short period of time, that I had also intended to be a pond model for afterwards. I obviously didn't give much thought to that aspect of things. Since about a week after finishing it has pretty much sat in the basement. That was about 15 years ago....
    So I guess you liked spending time in the basement so you could visit the model?
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

There have been at least two true size builds of "snarleyow" buil, one in U.K. and featured in classic boat magazine and another, albeit a little longer and with inboard power in the U.S. I have it all on record if anyone is interested. They both sail and look very nice in the water too. I also have complete building plans for the Sydney skiffs, they range in size from 6 inches to 36 inches.

And this is "Twinkle" built by Jeff Stobbe in Californiatwinkle-5 B.jpgjeff-stobbe-dodge-2.jpg She was stretched to 18ft and is sailed on San Francisco Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    So I guess you liked spending time in the basement so you could visit the model?

LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post

WOW!!! As pretty out on the water as I always imagined!!

The bloke in the cockpit really gives a sense of scale.

And here is "Snarleyow's" interior showing her light seam batten constructionsnarleyow interior.jpg It also shows blocking for chainplates and a part of a mast step further back where she had a cutter rig at some time. The new build "Molly" was sailed across the English channel to Brest boat show the year she was launched.

Yep, just what I remember her inside looking like. She is sort of a sailing while standing up boat, but ohhh so pretty.

According to an article I have, by Wm. Garden there were a couple of these boats built, a "one ton" dinghy, one ton of ballast was all inboard, sewn into canvas bags that were loaded-unloaded when launched or retrieved. Snarleyow was originaly named "Dodge"

I took these last weekend,

Thanks nedl, wonderful clear pics. is she as light as it seems? it really is small dinghy construction.I have come close to building a 2" : 1ft model but other things have got in the way.