Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20" band saw

Default 20" band saw

Hey, does anybody know this kind of bandsaw? It's a Rockwell/Delta.

I have a classic Rockwell 14" bandsaw with 12 " height extension, but I am thinking of upgrading to something like this to allow me better resaw capacity.

What do you think? Seller is asking $1050 on Craig's List...

20" bandsaw. Wood cutting. Very stable. Low vibration. Good for resawing. New bonded rubber tires.

Second owner. Never used in a commercial shop. Lightly used for hobby work. Mostly for resawing guitar wood.

Single phase 1 hp motor wired for 220v. Can be wire for 110v.

2 extra blades.

Not variable speed, but has 2 pulley positions for different blade speeds.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Default Re: 20" band saw

I don't own one, but have used one quite a bit (boatyard woodshop). I liked it, never had any problems that I know of, and it was quite heavily used. But it is a seriously heavy bit of kit.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Well built Band saw. Just worked on one at a Vo-tech school. Original type tires have a guide groove on wheels.. I priced them out at $175 each. Replacement tires can be bought for less but it is recommended that they be Glued/epoxied to wheel and crowned. Several You Tube videos on the replacement. Multi speed.

1HP is not a lot of oomph for a saw this size.
    Steve Martinsen

I have that exact same bandsaw made by Delta, Rockwell, Crescent. It's a fantastic saw and with a 1 inch blade the difference between the 14 delta is night and day. I paid a thousand for mine.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by k4lmy View Post
    Well built Band saw. Just worked on one at a Vo-tech school. Original type tires have a guide groove on wheels.. I priced them out at $175 each. Replacement tires can be bought for less but it is recommended that they be Glued/epoxied to wheel and crowned. Several You Tube videos on the replacement. Multi speed.
    Note that the epoxies that we boatbuilders use is not suited to putting tyres on bandsaw wheels, I use a two stage bonding agent made by CRC industries, sold under the ADOS brand. Never had one come loose, even on 4ft wheels with 15 hp driving them.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

I have this same saw. I paid $600 for mine in the early 90's. It was well used then and needed a bit of tuneup which I could do myself. These bandsaws are actually simple mechanisms so as long as a casting isn't cracked or otherwise broken, they are easily put to use. Bearings are rather simple to replace. I put a set of Carter ball bearing guides on mine shortly after I got it although the stock guides work ok. I don't know what the horsepower rating is for my motor. If you really want me to, I'll take a look. It'll be a dusty trip.

The price being asked seems quite reasonable to me.

I use my saw a lot. It's got plenty of power as far as I'm concerned. I use 1/2" blades (the wood slicer from Highland Hardware) for everything. Those blades will resaw to the maximum 13" capacity.

Jeff

Decent enough saw. Plenty stout. Looks to have been cared for, lightly used, or both.

The price is fine, assuming there aren't any hidden flaws. Since it was apparently not set up by pros, you'll want to count on a full fettling.

My only concern is the motor at 1 hp. It maybe worked ok for cutting spruce, cedar, and other softer luthier's species. How many horse is your existing saw? What are you used to working with? My expectation would be that you'll probably want to bump that up 2-3 hp. If not immediately, then eventually.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have a 20" Powermatic, 3hp and sometimes that is working pretty hard, I wish it were 5hp... 1hp would be out of the question for resawing.

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    1HP is not a lot of oomph for a saw this size.
    +1 on above. Fortunately replacing the motor is easy.

I checked my old 20". It has a 2 hp motor. It's never lacked for power as far as I'm concerned. But more is usually better.

I'm wondering if the OP's potential saw really has a 1hp motor. That is pretty small from the factory.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    I checked my old 20". It has a 2 hp motor. It's never lacked for power as far as I'm concerned. But more is usually better.

I'm wondering if the OP's potential saw really has a 1hp motor. That is pretty small from the factory.

Jeff
    mine has a two horse motor, the manual that i have for mine does not mention a one horse motor, it says the available are 1.5 horse, 2 horse, and 3 horse. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Here is another one just south of you in Oregon for another $200.
    I'd say $1050 is reasonable.
    https://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/d/...493748815.html
    basil

There are several big motors on Seattle CL even now as we speak.
    (Do you have 3phase?)
    basil

No, all I have is 220v single phase.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Depending on your inclination to rehab old bandsaws, you should be able to get a bigger bandsaw (30-36") with a 3 HP for less money. Bigger is usually better if you have the ceiling height to accommodate them. Look for Fay and Egan, Crescent, American. This is a 1900 30" Clement (progenitor of American) that I found in a barn for $400. You often have to make wheel covers yourself-a simple and cheap job with a MIG welder.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/392828...posted-public/

Bruce Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Brown View Post
    Depending on your inclination to rehab old bandsaws, you should be able to get a bigger bandsaw (30-36") with a 3 HP for less money. Bigger is usually better if you have the ceiling height to accommodate them. Look for Fay and Egan, Crescent, American. This is a 1900 30" Clement (progenitor of American) that I found in a barn for $400. You often have to make wheel covers yourself-a simple and cheap job with a MIG welder.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/392828...posted-public/

Bruce Brown
    Not just ceiling height... but floor space, ability to transport, and a lack of concern for modern features.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I have postponed a buying decision and have ordered a carbide tipped resaw blade for my 14" saw. Give it a try, then pull the trigger on a larger saw if I have to. That said, the Grizzly tent sale in Bellingham is coming up in June, there are always great deals. I got my 5 HP table saw with inset router table for 30% off at their sale a couple of years ago. .
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 03-16-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typo
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I have postponed a buying decision and have ordered a carbide tipped resaw blasť for my 14" saw. Give it a try, then pull the trigger on a larger saw if I have to. That said, the Grizzly tent sale in Bellingham is coming up in June, there are always great deals. I got my 5 HP table saw with inset router table for 30% off at their sale a couple of years ago. .
    Grizzly gets better all the time... but they're not yet known for the excellence of their bandsaws.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"I have postponed a buying decision and have ordered a carbide tipped resaw blasť for my 14" saw."

Let us know how the resaw blade works out. I'd like to improve my delta 14's resawing ability.

There was a review of carbide bandsaw blades (quite ) a while ago in WB magazine, the upshot as I recall, they are well worth additional expense if value a very smooth cut and/or you are doing a lot of resawing.
    Steve Martinsen

wooden boatbuilding applications seldom require superfine finish of carbide blades. I suggest you check out "bladerunner" blades available from Iturra Designs, whose catalogue is the new bandsaw bible.

Highland Woodworking has great bandsaw blades, nice finish on the cut. Perfect for ripping open the tip of your finger and grooving your nail....
    They are my go to blades

So I bought a 3/4" Laguna Resaw King carbide-tipped resaw blade from Rockler for my old 14" Rockwell 28-200 and tried resawing a 3 foot long length of VG Doug Fir, taking off a 1/4" slice.

Verdict: The cut is wonderfully smooth, my word. The downside: it took almost 4 minutes at a very slow feed rate to do it.

Why? Because I find that my bandsaw has just a 1/2 HP motor, and it just doesn't have the cojones for resaw work. It really is unacceptable. Now I either have to figure out if I can stuff a more powerful motor in it, or sell the thing and try to get a larger one.

What I think is that I don't need a huge throat or resaw capacity. I am doing small scale stuff like boxes now and I doubt I'd be resawing anything approaching 12" in width. So all I am really concerned about is HP. I would suppose a 15" bandsaw with 1.5 or 2 HP would be fine.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

What's your budget? $1k?

I'm thinking that carbide blade takes more power than a non-carbide blade like the Woodslicer from Highland Woodworking. Nevertheless, since you now have it, a larger motor seems like the thing to do.

Jeff

I don't have any idea on how to source a more powerful motor that would fit. I know nothing about motors. If I could do that I suppose I would do that rather than buying a larger saw.

Yes Tim, my budget is roughly $1,000 for a 20" with more oomph.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

The frames for motors are standadized. Yours is a ubiquitous Delta 28-xxx, it should be plug and play. You are just outside a large metro area, finding an electric motor supplier should be easy. Grizzly.com is one online source.
    Steve Martinsen

Google electric motor repair. I bet there are a couple of places nearby that will take your old one in trade for a rebuild plus a couple bucks. Ive had real good luck with rewound and rebrushed motors for a third the cost of new.

I bought a 17" Grizzly a few years ago. It's been a good addition to my shop. Plenty of resaw capability, at least for what we do. If you're down in Seattle anytime soon you're welcome to stop by and try her out.

Another possibility: You could gear down your bandsaw to gain more oomph. This has the undesirable side affect of decreasing blade speed, but you will be able to push harder. The blade won't slow so readily under load. Simple to swap out either pulley wheel, or both to gain the desired affect. And not too costly either.

I accomplished this in a somewhat extreme manner years ago with a Delta 14". I added two jack shafts along with pulleys to slow the saw enough to cut steel. It's been a permanent revision.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    So I bought a 3/4" Laguna Resaw King carbide-tipped resaw blade from Rockler for my old 14" Rockwell 28-200 and tried resawing a 3 foot long length of VG Doug Fir, taking off a 1/4" slice.

Verdict: The cut is wonderfully smooth, my word. The downside: it took almost 4 minutes at a very slow feed rate to do it.

Why? Because I find that my bandsaw has just a 1/2 HP motor, and it just doesn't have the cojones for resaw work. It really is unacceptable. Now I either have to figure out if I can stuff a more powerful motor in it, or sell the thing and try to get a larger one.

What I think is that I don't need a huge throat or resaw capacity. I am doing small scale stuff like boxes now and I doubt I'd be resawing anything approaching 12" in width. So all I am really concerned about is HP. I would suppose a 15" bandsaw with 1.5 or 2 HP would be fine.
    What sort of blade was it?Something no finer that 4tpi would be my choice for that type of work.

3 tpi, deep gullets.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

I have an older Grizzly 15" bandsaw. I used it for just common utility cutting thinking it probably wasn't much good for resawing as I never had much luck when I tried it. Then I saw a YouTube video about setting up a bandsaw, and what a difference! This thing now resaws 8" material perfectly straight and like it's going thru butter. I put new ball bearing guides on it and learned how to set them up, and a new blade, as others have mentioned, "The Woodslicer" from Highland Woodworking, $30, no need for carbide. I also took off the factory fence and rails and just clamp my own on, works MUCH better.

This is the video with Alex Snodgrass
    https://youtu.be/bxVyKsbuwZQ

The blade drift myth:
    Snodgrass claims that bandsaw blade drift is a myth if the saw is set up properly. I now agree with him. I set my fence EXACTLY parallel to the blade (and the table slot) and it cuts perfectly straight. Blade tension is important for this and turns out to be much tighter than I used to be comfortable with.

resaw.jpg