Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Republican 'Stockholm Syndrome'

Default Republican 'Stockholm Syndrome'

Republican policy analyst wonders what it'll take for Republicans to take back control of their party --

http://www.pennlive.com/opinion/2018...d_republi.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Republican 'Stockholm Syndrome'

Well the point was made about Trump's hostile take over of the Republican party at the convention stage, it was and is valid and Donald is unlikely to give up his family control of the Government and his deliberate fraying of the institutions of state so as to keep actual power in his own hands.

Whatever the Republican party is or isn't and we're certainly not going to get any insight here as to what it is, kicked the Democrat party to the curb last election with the most deplorable person to ever reach the office of Presidency.

Liberals are amazing, you got your a$$ kicked and rather then regroup and respond with anything that might be an improvement you fall back on discussing the problems the Republicans have.

Liberals love to lose, you're like the battered wife that fell down the stairs. One excuse after another.

From the op link:

The Republican Party, the party of classic, conservative principles, is going to outlast Trump. We need to remember that.

We've all been so wrong about Trump for so long that we might think there is something new under the sun. There isn't. Trump is a phenomenon. But there is no "Trump" approach to politics or governing. Republicans need to call it the way we see it.
    This so-called conservative writes for The Washington Post and is obviously a RINO.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    Whatever the Republican party is or isn't and we're certainly not going to get any insight here as to what it is, kicked the Democrat party to the curb last election with the most deplorable person to ever reach the office of Presidency.

Liberals are amazing, you got your a$$ kicked and rather then regroup and respond with anything that might be an improvement you fall back on discussing the problems the Republicans have.

Liberals love to lose, you're like the battered wife that fell down the stairs. One excuse after another.
    Winning by 20K or so votes in the right places is "got your a$$ kicked"? Losing the popular vote is winning?

Enjoy your whacko in the WH.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

When all the information that enters your head is from whackos like Rush Limburger and Fox News, its easy to see how delecta forms his opinions. Also easy to see why he misses ever coming in contact with the other side of any political situation.
    Tom L

This is the problem that liberals have, you're so out of touch with reality that you don't realize it. One thinks that loosing by a few votes is still winning and the other thinks my out look on life is based on some talking head.

You keep thinking that right voting people are being misdirected and you can guaranty another term.

We don't like you, don't like you're aggressive attitude, don't like being talked down too, don't like being told how and what to think, we basically don't like you and even though we might agree with you on some if not many issues.

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

Think of the right like the hot girl in the bar, your pick up line sucks and as usual, you will go home and masturbate.

But you guys loves Putin, remarkable.

Some people seem not to understand the difference between an election and a football game. They blindly root for their team and degrade the other team when it loses. I have never understood that. It's suppose to be about issues. When did politics develop cheerleaders?

This is the problem that liberals have, you're so out of touch with reality that you don't realize it. One thinks that loosing by a few votes is still winning and the other thinks my out look on life is based on some talking head.

You keep thinking that right voting people are being misdirected and you can guaranty another term.

We don't like you, don't like you're aggressive attitude, don't like being talked down too, don't like being told how and what to think, we basically don't like you and even though we might agree with you on some if not many issues.

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

Think of the right like the hot girl in the bar, your pick up line sucks and as usual, you will go home and masturbate.
    That you don't like me even though you have no idea of my real opinions or thoughts lets me know that I'm on the right track. The most aggressive political faction of the last decade has been the tea party and its hatch-ling Trump, so you might expect some backlash.
    Tom L

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

This is a very convincing post. I am going to rethink my position on the issues based on the quality of this information.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

#6: I see by copying Delecta earlier that as usual he is fractally wrong. He conveniently ignores that our current president handily lost the popular vote, and that Democrats have been flipping local and state seats from Republicans like crazy. See my signature.
    Gerard>
    ​Freeland, WA

Resistance is NOT futile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    This is a very convincing post. I am going to rethink my position on the issues based on the quality of this information.
    There are those that can sell and those that can't. Liberals need a training session. Morons can't sell a Patek to a Rolex buyer.

There are those that can sell and those that can't. Liberals need a training session. Morons can't sell a Patek to a Rolex buyer.
    Delicate U your going to make a killing, you using Trump's model?

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

And therein lies the problem with US politics. I could give a flip (please translate that) whether or not you like me. In fact, I'm totally OK with you not liking me - thought you're missing out on a chance to know an amazing person (insert vomit icon here).

What matters is that we share a country & like it or not, we have to figure out a way to work together to make the country work. There was a time - oh pre-Reagan I guess - when people understood that we have to talk things out & compromise. [compromise means neither side gets everything they want, btw] The right nowadays - let by the aptly named TP - has decided that it's their way or the highway. Guess what - that attitude can hit the highway to Somalia right now as far as I'm concerned.

I have a lot of friends who are way, way to the right of me. We can agree to disagree on some things & agree on others. That's what reasonable people do. Aggressive is what the far right is - not the left.

Finally, if Ann Coulter is your idea of the hot girl at the bar, I'd far rather have a date with Rosie.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Kicking and screaming into the 18th Century.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Huh?

Do you mean 'think of the right as the guy who tries to pick up the hot chick.....?
    That is possibly the most forced analogy I have ever read.

Delecta, the soul of wit is brevity.
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

The Bilge once again provides a valuable service. A window revealing the incidence rate within the general population of personality traits which usually aren't displayed in public.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Yes, delecta's usual false front cast aside for all to see the reality.

Your problem is with the sales pitch and not the product? I personally prefer progressive truth to reactionary lies every time even if they are delivered with a cold shower. Facts don't work on the dyed in the wool regressives that are the foundation of the Republican Party today. So what do you suggest? Social Teas?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Hey Delecta, ever consider that we're freaking out because we see the current administration as flushing our country down the toilet?

Some of us love our country, and are seriously dismayed by what has been happening lately.

Here is hoping you get over your hatred of the other side and do what is right for your country.

Ralphie

"Think of the right like the hot girl in the bar, your pick up line sucks and as usual, you will go home and masturbate. " - delecta

I prefer to think of the far right (for that is where you are, delecta; the moderate right would never be so rude) more like the transvestite (that is a person dressed up to look like something he isn't, delecta) in the bar whom I would not be interested in at all sexually, and as usual, I would merely go to another bar to find someone more... hetero... to chat up.

The part about masturbation - is that personal projection? It is telling that you reduce social interaction to base autoeroticism. Maybe you should see a therapist about your personality defects.

(Edit to fix a grammar error - mmd)
    Last edited by mmd; 03-02-2018 at 10:46 AM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Your problem is with the sales pitch and not the product?
    The purpose of our republic is to protect the freedom of conscience. The point of freedom of conscience is the ability to to reject the sales pitch because it impairs the duty to decide things on principle. The proposition that things ought to be decided on the basis of the best sales pitch is a negation of it all.

America is an Enlightenment nation. Reds are not Americans.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

Ya, the hot girl at the bar...but your an arrogant a-hole and stupid. Looks like the not so beautiful smart one is the ticket.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by Osborne Russell View Post

Oh, but they are. American is as American does.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

The purpose of our republic is to protect the freedom of conscience. The point of freedom of conscience is the ability to to reject the sales pitch because it impairs the duty to decide things on principle. The proposition that things ought to be decided on the basis of the best sales pitch is a negation of it all.

Exactly so. It seems they are the folks who Marshall McLuhan had in mind when he made his observation that: "It's the media, not the message." They have become suckers for showboating and mindless, fact free droning.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post

By design, America is a set of principles, in perpetual conflict with things as they are. America as it may be is only part of the story.

There's a subtle philosophical question embedded there.

Is a person, or a nation of persons, defined by their worst behavior? Their best? Their ideals? Their failures? Some amalgam of all? How does intent fit in? How bad does behavior have to be... and how often... before we can fairly say that they are no longer what they profess to be?

For me... as a baseline... the U.S. is what they are designed to be. If you wanted to put it into business terms: their by-laws and missions statement. That's the starting place. "A Republic, if you can keep it". As outlined by our founding fathers.

But then... moving forward... 'who' we are is affected by how well we cleave to, and improve upon, those founding principles. 'Who' we are can be enhanced by our loyalty to those high ideals. Or it can be degraded by our failing to do so? The 'melting pot'. Japanese interment camps. The 'Marshall Plan'. The slaughter of Native Americans. Universal suffrage. Voter suppression. The Civil Rights movement. The 'Southern Strategy'.

It's all part of who the U.S. is. (not 'America', btw, which is the term encompassing South America, Central America, and North America... and a large boatload of nations therein).

So I have to take issue with your characterization. There is no IS to be had. It would have to be 'is presently', at the very least. It's more like a performance review than a fixed label, eh? And right now, our performance is not good. One of the worst times in our nation's history. We've allowed the monied interests too much latitude, and they've deliberately gathered unto themselves too much control. And they are using it (as is their perpetual single-minded want) with no concern for our nation, good governance, adherence to our ideals, etc. Only in pursuit of 'more' for themselves. I think we'd agree that our 'is presently' is rather dismal. But we've been here before (1890's, 1920's, etc.), managed to rein in the greedheads, and recovered to again progress and prosper. I'm hoping and intending that we do so again.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

So I have to take issue with your characterization. There is no IS to be had.
    On the contrary. There is, indeed, no IS. We are what we do - good, bad, indifferent.....I take issue (very strongly) with the idea that we, or anyone else, can "identify" in any other way. If I'm generally truthful, but, one day, I tell a whopper, I can't then say - well that wasn't me (whether or not our ideal selves are truthful) Reminds me a bit of the stock argument of some Christians when people identifying as Christian do "bad" things. "Oh, but they are not real Christians".

We may hold ideals and try to live up to them, but there is no definitive answer to the question "which are the correct ideals?" Self reflection is good; trying to live up to ideals is (sometimes) good - depending on the ideals - but we are what we do and there's no future in rejecting some of what we do as "not me". ("The Devil made me do it!" just isn't good enough)

On the contrary. There is, indeed, no IS. We are what we do - good, bad, indifferent.....I take issue (very strongly) with the idea that we, or anyone else, can "identify" in any other way. If I'm generally truthful, but, one day, I tell a whopper, I can't then say - well that wasn't me (whether or not our ideal selves are truthful) Reminds me a bit of the stock argument of some Christians when people identifying as Christian do "bad" things. "Oh, but they are not real Christians".

We may hold ideals and try to live up to them, but there is no definitive answer to the question "which are the correct ideals?" Self reflection is good; trying to live up to ideals is (sometimes) good - depending on the ideals - but we are what we do and there's no future in rejecting some of what we do as "not me". ("The Devil made me do it!" just isn't good enough)
    Yes but the one whopper dosen't make you a sociopathic liar just a good story teller!...see below:

Sociopathic Liars

Sociopaths are defined as someone who lies continuously in an attempt to get their own way, without showing care or concern for others. These individuals are goal-oriented.
    Even though it might seem hard to believe, lying is focused – they are focused on getting their own way. Sociopaths don’t have a lot of respect or regard for the feelings and rights of others. They tend to be charismatic and charming, but they will use their exceptional social skills in a self-centered and manipulative manner.
    Compulsive Liars
    Compulsive liars are defined as someone who continually lies from sheer habit. Lying tends to be their normal manner of responding to any questions from others.
    These individuals will always bend the truth, regardless of how small or large the question is. For these individuals, telling the truth doesn’t feel right. They are uncomfortable whenever they tell the truth, while lying makes them feel right.
    Compulsive lying is often thought to manifest during childhood, due to being put into situations and environments where lying became a necessity. Most of the time, compulsive liars aren’t cunning or manipulative, rather they only lie because it has become such a habit for them.
    This automatic response is more difficult to break. It can end up taking its toll on being able to maintain a relationship. Many people also call these individuals pathological liars or habitual liars, but they all mean the same thing.
    Occasional Liars
    Occasional liars are those who seldom tell a lie. When they do, they are so blown away by what they said that their guilt overcomes them. These individuals are quick to ask for forgiveness from the individual that they lied to.
    Occasional liars might not be perfect, but they are often respected for their attempts at being truthful and humble enough to admit when they are wrong.
    Careless Liars
    Careless liars will go about their normal lives and lie every way they can. This individual isn’t concerned about trying to hide their lies or making sure they make sense. Everyone knows that the person isn’t being honest because they tend to be sloppy with their lies. They don’t have a lot of friends because most people get tired of hearing their twisted stories.
    White Liars
    People who tell white lies don’t usually think of themselves as true “liars”. They justify their white lies as harmless, or even beneficial, in the long term. They will sometimes tell only part of the truth, and not be suspected of lying at all. White liars may use their lies to to shield someone from what they believe is a hurtful or damaging truth.
    Sadly, lying is a common denominator in many of our lives and recognizing some of the different types might just help us in dealing with the liar in our lives.
    PaulF

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    Yes but the one whopper dosen't make you a sociopathic liar just a good story teller!...see below:
    Of course not. But that's not the point.

On the contrary. There is, indeed, no IS. We are what we do - good, bad, indifferent.....I take issue (very strongly) with the idea that we, or anyone else, can "identify" in any other way.
    True. That's why self-identity as an American doesn't mean much.

If I'm generally truthful, but, one day, I tell a whopper, I can't then say - well that wasn't me (whether or not our ideal selves are truthful) Reminds me a bit of the stock argument of some Christians when people identifying as Christian do "bad" things. "Oh, but they are not real Christians".
    With this vital difference: if my countrymen do things in my name, I can't avoid responsibility.

We may hold ideals and try to live up to them, but there is no definitive answer to the question "which are the correct ideals?"
    But there is an answer to the question "Which ideals are you pursuing?" even if someone else has to answer it for you.

Of course not. But that's not the point.
    Yes, I get your point, just a bit of teasing.

Overall, Americans are like just about everyone else, some good, some bad some indifferent.
    PaulF

True. That's why self-identity as an American doesn't mean much.
    But if you decide some who hold American nationality are not Americans you must imply that it means something.

With this vital difference: if my countrymen do things in my name, I can't avoid responsibility.
    In your name? I certainly don't consider that anything done by anyone who shares my nationality is doing it "in my name". I can't disown what is in my control, but......

But there is an answer to the question "Which ideals are you pursuing?" even if someone else has to answer it for you.
    There is a question, certainly. But I certainly wouldn't own any definition somebody made for me. They may guess and the guess will reflect their own ideas, beliefs, emotions etc. Doesn't mean it has "objective" any validity. Most if what we attribute to others reflects more on us than on those others.

Like it or not, Donald Trump is no less "American" than Osborne Russell. And Nigel Farage is no less "British" than I am (repugnant though that thought might be to me) He surely doesn't speak or act in my name though. Heaven forfend!
    Last edited by downthecreek; 03-02-2018 at 03:19 PM.

WE DON'T LIKE YOU.

If Republicans are like the hot girl at the bar, then she is a Psycho-B___, who would probably give you an STD. Much safer to go home alone.

Ralphie