Thread: Grumman J2F Duck

Default Grumman J2F Duck

One of the cable channels is running some episodes of "Black Sheep Squadron" and it spite of the corny story lines, I still enjoy watching it mainly for the planes, mostly Corsairs. This last week's episode featured a Grumman Duck.

Default Re: Grumman J2F Duck

Got'ta be ungodly high in drag, ehj?. (aerodynamic drag) Saw on with own eyeballs at Oshkosh once.

The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Used to be an outfit out of Miami, Chalks Air, that used those planes. I flew them many times, either to, or from, the Bahamas. The hull is cool; its a stepped hydroplane. And the noise and splash on takeoff is just awesome!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Used to be an outfit out of Miami, Chalks Air, that used those planes. I flew them many times, either to, or from, the Bahamas. The hull is cool; its a stepped hydroplane. And the noise and splash on takeoff is just awesome!

Kevin
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the Grumman Goose?

^ I remember them as saying we were flying a Grumman, " Mallard." I see now that that is different than a , "Duck," and different still from the, " Goose," you show.

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Turboprop, too, by the look of it.

[QUOTE=John of Phoenix;5493644]From the Way Back Machine- http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...Sheep-Squadron

/QUOTE]

It was nice of the Marines to paint an arrow on the wing so the pilot would know which direction to fly the airplane.
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

There are 4 sizes of Grumman amphibians of this same basic design. There is the Widgeon, Mallard, Goose and Albatross which is the largest one in the photo. I have only flown in a Widgeon and an Albatross in SE Florida and the Bahamas.

Chartered a Widgeon out of West Palm Beach in 1955 and the pilot forgot to lower landing gear on Grand Bahama and put a nice groove in the runway and ground off about 1/4" off the keel. Still seaworthy though and we continued flying that same day. These planes are so useful that they continue flying today although engine changes and upgrades are added such as the turboprops on the Albatross in the photo.

Edited: If you wish to see a Grumman Duck as the one of the main characters in a movie, look up Murphy's war with Peter O'toole, from 1971. He battles a WW2 German submarine in the Amazon River.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 03-01-2018 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Adding movie of Duck
    Tom L