Thread: DIY or patterns challenge for Concordia yawl Charlie Noble (stove smoke head)

Default DIY or patterns challenge for Concordia yawl Charlie Noble (stove smoke head)

WB has had requests come in for information about how to pattern and fabricate these specific smoke heads. Anyone up to to attempting it and posting patterns, materials and methods?? Concordia sells them but they are $$, no longer selling for the 1938 price of $5.50!

concordia_smokehead_mb_april1938-p124.jpg
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Default Re: DIY or patterns challenge for Concordia yawl Charlie Noble (stove smoke head)

Not really much to go on. You'd need a more detailed rendering of the part's construction. The picture looks like the head is fabbed from rolled sheet and mounted on a conventional deck iron. Is the head itself actually a casting?
    Chuck Hancock

Default Re: DIY or patterns challenge for Concordia yawl Charlie Noble (stove smoke head)

Not a casting, from what I remember of them, but very nice sheet metal work. Maybe even spun bronze sheet.

My Google-fu is failing me; I can't come up with a better photo.

Alex

A tinsmith could make one in 10 minutes.

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Would be interesting to know the internal shapes of the one Peter posted. That particular one looks like spun metal for the cones, unless there are joins on the other side of the picture. Certainly a swage machine for the falnges and beads in the side. All this could be made by hand and soft or silver soldered together, thin copper or silicon bronze sheet would be good. Brass would be a bit painful. A collar could be beated out of heavier stuff or cast. Interesting project!
    the invisible man........

the smoke hood peter posted is available new in the US from navigator stove works in copper or stainless for around $200..
    it's all rivetted and swaged sheet.. nothing spun or cast.
    here's a photo from someone else's thread:

when navigator was out of stock for some time, i looked into sheet metal shops locally and had quite a difficult time finding anyone that would make one at all or close to the same price. thought about doing it myself too but do not have access to a bead roller.. so navigator's deal seems pretty good

how much does concordia ask for their model ? how does it work ?
    i cannot remember seeing this type in the flesh, but have caught glimpses in photos online.. looks like there are outlets athwartships maybe connected by a perforated tube passing through the center of the hood ??? or does the vertical stack just terminate under the hat somewhere and the shape of the hood's bottom directs rainwater towards some drain holes or something ??

That style of smoke head is all just copper sheet, cut, rolled and crimped. The internal structure resembles an H style smoke head in air flow with the cones made to try and avoid catching lines. I'd think it would be an easy job for someone with the pattern and experience working with copper sheet.

Does that style of charlie noble prevent down drafts better than others? I have what amounts to a cap spaced up over the pipe to block rain, but I have trouble with down drafts when its windy.

Thanks Coelcanth for the pictures. This wouldn't be hard to make, grooves routed in mdf and a tool/wheel for the beads, some wide U shaped rods attached to base to prevent sheets catching. The cone placement must help with back draughts as well as other things. I take a Charlie Noble to be shaped like a capital H
    the invisible man........

The query I got had this to say about the genesis of the Concordia type of smoke head:

Waldo Howland said, "Our Concordia smoke head was just a refinement of the old 'Escape' smoke head."

“In 1932, Llewellyn Howland owned an 1890 Norwegian pilot Colin Archer designed cutter, Escape. It was destroyed in the 1938 hurricane and Llewellyn hired Concordia Company to design and build a boat to replace this loss,” explained present Concordia Company owner Brodie MacGregor."

The second Escape was the progenitor of the Concordia yawls. It begs the question, can we look to Norway for more of the type upon which the smokehead was based and refined?
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Here's some pics of a 2" smoke head of the design: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DMJZ26wZ2BCw1z9I2

If you can see inside the smoke has to rise up into the top third of the head and then come down past two rain flaps to leave out the sides. Mimi Rose has this smoke head on her old Taylor's kero heater and we've used it during a decent variety of weather, including one northeaster that blew through after Sandy and lasted 3 days. Never had much trouble with back draughts, but I do think they happened a small number of times in conditions that would've challenged any smoke head. Not sure if a larger diameter one would have more issues.

I have the original smoke head from #5, the 1950 Concordia, first to be A&R built I believe is is bronze .I will photograph and measure it and post what I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Shields View Post
    I have the original smoke head from #5, the 1950 Concordia, first to be A&R built I believe is is bronze .I will photograph and measure it and post what I can.
    Paul,

If you can forward what you are able to get to pat.lown@woodenboat.com, she is the one who has been seeking the info.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Paul,

If you can forward what you are able to get to pat.lown@woodenboat.com, she is the one who has been seeking the info.

Thanks
    Will do!

It wouldn't be so lovely when it's all covered with soot.

The el-cheapo solution is a simple 90 degree elbow. Turn it the direction you want.

The smoke travels up the hood around the cutout to the peak where it is then forced down the center of the hood and out the vents on either side. Or something like that! I hope this helps.

Charlie_Noble.jpg

From the dimensions given by Paul this is what I came up with. My only question would be what the hole in the top of the Upper Cylinder looks like? Is it round or square? I included a 2.75" hole to stay away from the tangent points but this can easily be modified. Any feedback and I will take this out to the shop and see what I can come up with.

_Rideswell_

Charlie_Noble_NO-TOP.jpg

I removed the top for clarity.

_Rideswell_

Very interesting! Thx.

The only difference I can see is that in mine the "wings" were simply partially cut from the top cone and bent down. This was of crimped copper construction, though, and I've seen some that looked welded which may have been different. If you were going the crimped route, you'd need extra material on most of the joining edges to crimp over.