Thread: 40ft carvel planked trawler of wild jack wood in Asia

Default 40ft carvel planked trawler of wild jack wood in Asia

I work/live in Asia and have received a proposal from an established shipyard in India to construct a 40ft trawler. Here is a summary of the specs:

• Constructed of wild jack wood (Artocarpus hirsuta), a tropical hardwood similar to teak
    • It will be carvel planked, 1-3/8" planks, on 3"x3" sawn frames, 12" on center
    • Fasteners will be copper nails with roves, stainless bolts for deck beams and above waterline
    • Deck planking of 1-1/2" teak, caulked
    • Deckhouse of fiberglass over marine plywood, with framing
    • I was planning on passing on the proposal to sheathe below the waterline with fiberglass
    • The whole structure (hull, deck, house, bulkheads, engine beds, cabin sole) was quoted at $105,000 US

The balance of works (engine, tanks, carpentry, glazing, etc.) is priced separately per requirements.

I would appreciate any suggestions for things I should inquire about or specifically request, when I followup with them, inspect their yard, etc.

Default Re: 40ft carvel planked trawler of wild jack wood in Asia

Seems like you don't get much but any empty shell in this quote. They've only told you the cost of the easy part. There is a lot more needed before you have a functional boat. I would ask them to quote for all the rest as well. Will there be an electrical system? What sort of fish holds will you need? Refrigeration? What other equipment will be needed and what is the cost?

Sounds like half of the cost of a finished boat. Add the engine, steering, electronics, pumps, rigging, tanks, deck hardware, etc. Your a long way from the final cost. Get 2 more quotes from different builders.

If a 40' hull and deck is availible in the US for roughly half that cost I think there is a problem, even if the US build is glass. http://www.youngbrothersboats.com/pricing40.html
    Last edited by navydog; 02-28-2018 at 06:36 AM.

That appears far too expensive for a timber boat build in India. If you want a boat built overseas I’d suggest compare pricing elsewhere, for example Vietnam.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Of course the offer is overpriced. It's standard practice after all. The customer has Doha, Qatar as location and is percieved as having money and likley to haggle. The yard is experienced and has by now calculations for the average quantity of tea and food and employee time consumed during negotiations.

Aini wood (wild jack is the tree) is good boatbuilding wood, and is indeed used in exchange for teak. It does not hold fasteners very well, that's why they use copper rivets and machine bolts instead of wood screws. It's a traditional boatbuilding wood for sewn boats.
    Partially sheating a carvel planked boat is a bad ideea. Just keep the antifouling fresh (every year) and the worms will stay away. If you want a sheated boat ask for another construction tehnique, or go directly to another material.

I am used to dealing with builder's specs that run ten or fifteen pages (minimum) for a 40-ft trawler, so I don't know where to begin to comment on a spec that is boiled down to seven phrases. I don't mean to be so anal-retentive, but what about the paint spec? Surface finish (fairing, etc.)? Limber holes? Windows and doors? Engine beds? Shaft installation? Systems installation? Fuel tanks? Electrical systems & wiring?

With all due respect to both you and the builder, the builder's spec is the document that describes to the builder what you want done and, to some degree, how you want it done; and when things go bad, is the document that backs up your claims of what was agreed to if you have to go to court. The more detailed, the more likely you will get what you want, done the way you want. If not exhaustive, you are at the mercy of the builder, who will (rightfully) do the minimum that he has to with the least expensive materials and supplies so he can maximize his profits. Builder's specs are not adversarial, but clarifying. Be specific about everything, it will make everybody's job easier (except the spec writer's).
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

mmd they are not that far yet. He got quoted a standard bare hull design of a traditional type. That means that everybody knows what the boat will look like and the only variables are the wood species and fastener material. The scantlings are window dressing, they only change if the wood species changes. Depending on workforce size and experience the yard can bang out a caulked hull this size constructed to "standard practice" in a week or two. Everything after the caulking is up to the customers wishes and priced separatly. It's like buying a car, you get a base model for a price plus a lot of options. In this case the base model is a caulked hull and deck with a ply deckhouse. A good yard may include red lead in the bilge, but that's about it. Everything else is optional and will result at the end in a long builders specs, but that is still to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    Of course the offer is overpriced. It's standard practice after all. The customer has Doha, Qatar as location and is percieved as having money and likley to haggle. The yard is experienced and has by now calculations for the average quantity of tea and food and employee time consumed during negotiations.

Aini wood (wild jack is the tree) is good boatbuilding wood, and is indeed used in exchange for teak. It does not hold fasteners very well, that's why they use copper rivets and machine bolts instead of wood screws. It's a traditional boatbuilding wood for sewn boats.
    Partially sheating a carvel planked boat is a bad ideea. Just keep the antifouling fresh (every year) and the worms will stay away. If you want a sheated boat ask for another construction tehnique, or go directly to another material.
    Aini wood (wild jack is the tree) is good boatbuilding wood, and is indeed used in exchange for teak. It does not hold fasteners very well, that's why they use copper rivets and machine bolts instead of wood screws, can anyone expand on this please, what happens to the wood when a screw or nail is put in it, thank you
    Boat Designer. Boatbuilder

As far as i know, and I know little since this is not a common wood outside India (wich is a major wood importer) this wood is the traditional wood for sewn boats. It is reported that nails and screws can pull out under load, I am not sure how and why. But rivets and machine bolts seem to hold fine, exactly like the sewing of the planks did, so I suppose the holes are not the problem. Maybe the screws threads cut the fibers and work loose? And the nails crush them? Really can not say. But it's durable timber and the price (indian home market) is good.

The price is good? By what standards?

Quote Originally Posted by navydog View Post
    The price is good? By what standards?
    By western standards of course. Aini sells for about 500 rupees/cu.ft. Average income is 5000-7000 rupees. Or in dollars, 7.5usd/cu.ft. income 76-110USD. So it's not cheap, except compared to the teak it can replace.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    As far as i know, and I know little since this is not a common wood outside India (wich is a major wood importer) this wood is the traditional wood for sewn boats. It is reported that nails and screws can pull out under load, I am not sure how and why. But rivets and machine bolts seem to hold fine, exactly like the sewing of the planks did, so I suppose the holes are not the problem. Maybe the screws threads cut the fibers and work loose? And the nails crush them? Really can not say. But it's durable timber and the price (indian home market) is good.
    In 2004, there was a WBF thread on woodenboat building in India :

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...lding-in-India

Jackfruit was introduced to the America´s from Asia by Portuguese explorers in the 16 th century; seemingly, the State of Bahia in Brazil, the hub of Portuguese colonial power for some 250 years, and more importantly the boatbuilding community in the 'Bay of Camamu', Bahia is the only location in the America´s where it´s use for boatbuilding has withstood the test of time.

I learnt the other day that in Itajaí, a woodenboat/plasticboat building town on the coast of Santa Catarina State, Southern Brazil, jackfruit wood is becoming fashionable as woodenboat planking material.

The jackfruit tree is plentiful here, and I dare to say, their number may grossly outnumber the same species in India, but the use of jackfruit wood is not common place here.

Beypore is a coastal shipbuilding town on India´s western seaboard in the State of Kerala, from where the 'URU' used to be built and exported to Mesapotamia around 500 A.D.; there are current orders for URUs to cater to the wealthy class of the Arabian Emirates (Doha, Catar, Dubai etc):

http://travelcartindia.com/2015/12/3...-from-beypore/