Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A ? re: armed teachers: Which weapon?

Default A ? re: armed teachers: Which weapon?

I was wondering about this -

If teachers are going to be armed, what weapon will they be armed with? I assumed it would be some sort of handgun, but then I remembered the arguments that police forces have made in support of their use of assault weapons - they need the same firepower as the crooks they're dealing with. Well, if that argument is valid, shouldn't teachers be armed with assault rifles instead of handguns? After all, given the history of school shootings, they're likely to face bad guys armed with them.
    I rather be American than a Republican.

Default Re: A ? re: armed teachers: Which weapon?

Back in the day, the nuns could bean you with a chalkboard eraser from 75 feet. Damn, it hurt, too.

Note: no shootings at Catholic schools.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Kindergarten teachers will get these.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianY View Post
    I was wondering about this -

If teachers are going to be armed
    Snowballs, that's what we need. Pack all the snowflakes into something useful, the ammo depot is in Minnesota and hell.

Ninja stars.

There's precedent: teachers have been handing out gold stars since time immemorial.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Why don’t we just hold classes inside these?

0753EB28-9443-4C4E-AB5F-E0952E10CFE2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Back in the day, the nuns could bean you with a chalkboard eraser from 75 feet. Damn, it hurt, too.

Note: no shootings at Catholic schools.
    The ones that taught me used the chalk not the eraser.

A 12" ruler used to work well.
    Tom L

The teacher on the news Sunday was carrying a glock in his boot.

It's not as funny as the other answers. In fact, I thought it disturbing.

In order escalation, a stick of chalk, the board eraser and heavy sarcasm were once sufficient...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

image.jpg

May as well go back to the source. Awesome box mag will save time while spraying and praying.
    "Whatever happens, we have got the Maxim Gun, and they have not." -H Belloc
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Posted in another thread yesterday:

Oy. Where do I start.

I'm considered "pro-gun" and even I know that arming teachers is not the solution.

First, the guns could not be in a secure locker and be accessed quickly enough, they would have to be carried, and that means handguns. 10 feet is a long shot with a handgun, especially under pressure, unless you are very experienced. The new holographic optic sights help a great deal but add a lot of bulk to the carry package. If the aggressor is carrying a rifle and shoots well, usually a pistol against a rifle is suicide, unless the pistoleer is quite skilled or the distance is quite close ("Close Quarters Battle"). The school police officer in this case should have had those skills, using corners as shielding and bracing to improve accuracy with his pistol, trained on how to close distances, plus nearly all departments wear ballistic vests these days. Arming teachers with rifles is problematic. For one thing they would need to put them down in the bathroom and such. Rear-guard personnel, like in the walled camps in Afghanistan and Iraq carried shorty M4s (short barrel and telescoping stock) which were almost as light as a pistol, but still pretty bulky for a teacher to carry. My suggestion would be pistols with detachable shoulder stocks (aka Short Barrel Rifle, SBR), much more accurate that a freeheld pistol but are banned under the same law as full-auto firearms and shotguns and rifles under 18" barrels, so require as Class III license.

What might help and be cheap these days is improved situational awareness; A screen in each classroom showing hallway views, also transmitted to teacher phones. That, and maybe, MAYBE a few very well trained teachers as defense operators MIGHT help, but it's still not addressing the problem root cause. Solutions will address the root cause and have layers of overlapping protection. Arming teachers that are not inclined or very well trained to use them just offers a weapon supply to someone that takes it from them.

EDIT: Equally important is defense, i.e., armor. I've thought about this a lot in the past. Improvising can be tough with limited materials. No thick phone books laying around any more! A big stack of cafeteria tray might be enough to guard the torso. But I would prefabricate a composite ballistic shield with arm straps on the back and keep it under my desk, and/or also fabricate a small table where the top would double as armor. Armoring against pistol rounds and 5.56mm ammo from an AR is not too difficult, but .30 caliber or anything above 6.5mm is a lot tougher, and even the new 5.56 military ammo has a hard core in order to eliminate lead and better penetrate armor.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

A Glock 19 loaded with frangible bullets would be enough. We're talking about defending in close quarters. With multiple teachers armed, there is hope that someone would hit the shooter.

The whole idea is flawed though. Too many opportunities for accidents.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    In order escalation, a stick of chalk, the board eraser and heavy sarcasm were once sufficient...
    ouch, cutting sarcasm

"Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

^I apologize profusely in advance, but I can't help laughing at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    ^I apologize profusely in advance, but I can't help laughing at that.
    Why apologise? It's funny.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

How about harpoons?

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

A twelve gauge shotgun, loaded with either buck or bird shot depending on the circumstance, has merit.

Quote Originally Posted by ishmael View Post
    A twelve gauge shotgun, loaded with either buck or bird shot depending on the circumstance, has merit.
    A little hard to carry around for a teacher. Keep in mind, if they leave it standing in the corner, that can defeat some of the intent as then a student can grab it.

Sure enough, a 12 ga. with 00 buck could probably take out 8-10 students at one shot.
    "Oh! Wait just a second there, let me change this over to birdshot".

WTF? You guys are crazy to consider arming teachers with anything other than information.

I have very mixed feelings about arming teachers. I'm deeply saddened that the cultural revolutions, fostered by the left over the last half century, have us even talking about it.

And a by the by. A twelve gauge is not really a "scatter gun". Have you ever shot one? It goes where you point it. At the distances common in a classroom, perhaps a twelve inch pattern. Again, it makes me sick to even contemplate the need.
    Last edited by ishmael; 03-16-2018 at 06:39 AM.

"First one's double-ought, the second one's buck. The third one's a slug, just for luck".
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I have very mixed feelings about arming teachers. I'm deeply saddened that the cultural revolutions, fostered by the left over the last half century, have us even talking about it.

And a by the by. A twelve gauge is not really a "scatter gun". Have you ever shot one? It goes where you point it. At the distances common in a classroom, perhaps a twelve inch pattern. Again, it makes me sick to even contemplate the need.
    Huh? It's the left that wants to arm teachers? It's the left that has caused school shootings? You have me completely befuzzled with this statement. Could you explain?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Ish, I seem to recall that a couple of years ago, in another of the endless gun debates, you told us a story of a dear teacher of yours (in Philadelphia, IIRC) who carried a handgun to school every day to ward off the bad guys populating the nasty neighbourhood he had to walk through every day. You seemed pretty supportive of that teacher being armed, but now you're not sure it is a good thing?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Huh? It's the left that wants to arm teachers? It's the left that has caused school shootings? Could you explain?
    LOL,
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Garret,

An old friend of mine, Jeff Mitchell, who I lost contact with over the years, was fond of saying that much of human behavior was like a computer: garbage in, garbage out.

It's, perhaps, unfair to blame the left exclusively for the media culture of today, of hyper-sex and wanton violence. Greed and money are also huge factors. But I think calls for the reasonable censorship of image have probably been mostly on the right, not the left.

A complex topic.

mmd, I've never been to Philly(maybe passed through on a train once), and am quite sure it must have been another WBF bumpkin who told that story.

OK - I'm still confused Jack. I agree with GIGO (I write software ) - but I don't understand the connection to arming teachers. There's no doubt that a whole lot of decency has disappeared in an avalanche of social change, but I'd put a lot of it on the lack of integrity on display in DC these days - the glaring examples being on the right. Going back a bit, I still can't get over NBC being fined for an accidental showing of a woman's breast (Janet Jackson in the Super Bowl) while Arnold the Terminator was on another network blasting people to shreds with automatic weapons. But - I don't see that as being the left's fault - I see it as a failing of the US puritanical heritage + gun fetishism.

Nevertheless - what does all this have to do with arming teachers?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I may be wrong about the city, Ish, but not the story nor the attribution.

Can't have a student able to get to the gun before the teacher can, and handguns aren't too useful beyond close range. It's clear that the only acceptable solution is a suicide bomb vest. Of course, you'll lose the teacher, and the rest of the class, but you'll get the shooter, too, as long as they're in range.

I'm sure the NRA and its supporters will see the wisdom of this. It's just the cost of freedom, after all. "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of price..."

What are you doing about it?

It's, perhaps, unfair to blame the left exclusively for the media culture of today, of hyper-sex and wanton violence.
    Well, if you are going to blame "the left", you're probably obliged to credit "the left" for the concurrent drop in crime. Somehow, though, I don't see you doing that.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Hand grenades. Easily carried, easy to deploy. Sure, there will be some collateral damage, but no worse than the collateral damage from guns. The phys-ed teachers could organize practice sessions for the teachers to improve their throwing skills.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Hand grenades. Easily carried, easy to deploy. Sure, there will be some collateral damage, but no worse than the collateral damage from guns. The phys-ed teachers could organize practice sessions for the teachers to improve their throwing skills.
    Yes, that's another excellent option. I like where you're going with this!

(Of course, to be really sure of getting the shooter, you could have a tactical nuke at the centre of the school, with a button for every teacher. That's a lot of freedom, right there. Sure, it would be expensive, but nothing is too good for the children of America.)

Maybe there is a lot to be said for home schooling...

...except for the guns kept at home.