Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melania, you're going to lose your protected status

Default Melania, you're going to lose your protected status

I have defended Melania Trump here in this forum several times, arguing that she has done nothing to engender criticism or damnation, per se.... and that as long as she remains 'above the fray', people ought to be kind and charitable to her.... Lord knows what burdens she already has to bear, in her private life.

However, this latest thing might just change my mind.

Melania Trump, whose husband is known for the barbs he hurls on Twitter, said that adults should be “encouraging positive habits on social media” as an example for children, The Hill reports.
    Melania Trump, whose husband is known for the barbs he hurls on Twitter, says adults should be “encouraging positive habits on social media” as an example for children.“As I have said before, it is important that as adults we take the lead and responsibility in helping our children manage the many issues they're facing today,” the first lady said Monday, according to a press pool report, in remarks at the White House at a luncheon for spouses of the country's governors, who were meeting with President Trump.

“This means encouraging positive habits on social media and technology,” Melania Trump said. “Even limiting time online and understanding the content they are exposed to on a daily basis.”

“I am asking you all to join me today and commit to promoting values such as encouragement, kindness, compassion and respect in our children,” the mother of 11-year-old Barron Trump added.

“With those values as a solid foundation, our kids will be better equipped to deal with many of the evils in our world today, such as drug abuse and addiction and negative social media interactions.”
    I have no doubt that she is sincere... but considering her husband is the poster boy for the abuse of social media, she ought to be saying NOTHING about the topic.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Melania, you're going to lose your protected status

Actually, she could be seen as rebuking her husband. She never says, "You should be more like Donald..."

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Actually, she could be seen as rebuking her husband. She never says, "You should be more like Donald..."
    She also never says she will be addressing the problem she has with this in her own home. Sorry, she doesn't get a pass.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    She also never says she will be addressing the problem she has with this in her own home. Sorry, she doesn't get a pass.
    Well, you tell me how she does that. Do you really think she has any control of him? Don't knock her for what she cannot do. Support her for what she tries to do.

No doubt The Donald will call it "fake news"
    In my work with the defendants (at the Nuremberg Trails 1945-1949)
    I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the
    defendants, a genuine incapacity to feel with their fellow men.

Evil, I think, is the absence of empathy.”

Captain G. M. Gilbert, Army psychologist

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    There is a theory on some media sites that she has been trolling her husband for some time the only way she knows how.
    Probably the only way she can. I bet when he blows his top with her, it's not at all pretty.
    I was searching for the nature of evil and I now think I have come close to defining it. A lack of empathy. It’s the one characteristic that connects all the

I don't agree with the OP and consider this to be in bad taste, right up there with typical partisan bs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gray View Post
    I don't agree with the OP and consider this to be in bad taste, right up there with typical partisan bs.
    You're certainly entitled to disagree with my OP... but it contained NOTHING that was partisan.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Are you really expecting integrity from a nude model, illegal immigrant who had an affair with a married man.

^ well there is that!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

It can't be easy being his wife, or his child, in this situation.

I'm a bit more concerned with the fact we never did see the promised documents that would prove she is here legally.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Well, you tell me how she does that. Do you really think she has any control of him? Don't knock her for what she cannot do. Support her for what she tries to do.
    When your husband is perhaps the worst example of that behavior in the world it is more than just disingenuous to have that as your platform.

Would hillary get a pass if she had marital fidelity as her platform during the monica scandal? I don't think so.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

I'm a bit more concerned with the fact we never did see the promised documents that would prove she is here legally.
    Being married to him is completely optional.
    Tom

She was talking about our children, not hers.

I don't much like anything Trump, but to indicate that the wife is responsible for the husband's actions is an interesting exercise in logic.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    She was talking about our children, not hers.
    I'm glad you used the plural. I recognize that you may want to view Donald as a child. Unfortunately he is only childlike in his intelligence and social skills. He is adult in his malevolence

Being married to him is completely optional.
    Not if she knows that divorce means she and her parents are forced from the U.S. - and she loses her son. 45 does not play nice, put me in the "she's doing what she can" camp.

Meanwhile, a Rep/'bagger Congress supported by (for various, often contradictory reasons) easily half the country is our real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    Not if she knows that divorce means she and her parents are forced from the U.S. - and she loses her son. 45 does not play nice, put me in the "she's doing what she can" camp.

Meanwhile, a Rep/'bagger Congress supported by (for various, often contradictory reasons) easily half the country is our real problem.
    I don't believe that is the case.
    https://www.pcblawfirm.com/how-does-...s-part-2-of-3/

Granted I did a very quick search regarding that issue but it looks like she would likely be able to stay. Her decisions have consequences. Sorry but I just have a very hard time feeling bad for someone that dated a married millionaire and ended up in an unhappy marriage with him. She will walk away with millions regardless, she is his kids mother.
    Last edited by Tom Wilkinson; 02-27-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    Tom

Melania is not going anywhere and neither is Trump.

The lady does something positive, and it’s used against her.

Just do whatever you’ve been wanting to do Norman, and don’t make lame excuses. Because honestly, nobody cares about her “Norman’s protected status.” Geez, get over yourself.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

He's been biting at the bit since election day, let him be the person he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    The lady does something positive, and it’s used against her.
    On several occasions, I have defended Melania Trump here in this forum.

My criticism isn't unreasonable; she cannot publicly decry incivility in social media, when considering the incivility of her husband. If she disagrees with his behavior, that is between her and him... but to publicly argue for a higher standard of civility, while her husband trashes the internet in the way that he does, strikes me as hypocritical. Public figures are obligated to defend their comments, statements, and actions. While she wasn't saying anything, she deserved complete privacy... but if she makes a public statement, then we have the right to contest her words.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Just do whatever you’ve been wanting to do Norman, and don’t make lame excuses. Because honestly, nobody cares about her “Norman’s protected status.” Geez, get over yourself.
    Well, YOU seem to be interested enough in the topic, to comment on it. I obviously hit a nerve.... so, apparently, when you say 'nobody cares', it's pretty clear that YOU do!

I do not understand Melania. To me she seems to be a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

You could explore this topic more deeply by watching ....

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    Well, YOU seem to be interested enough in the topic, to comment on it. I obviously hit a nerve.... so, apparently, when you say 'nobody cares', it's pretty clear that YOU do!
    There you go being logical again.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post

They're probably filed in the same drawer as Donalds tax returns.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    When your husband is perhaps the worst example of that behavior in the world it is more than just disingenuous to have that as your platform.
    trumps are trumps, liars and hypocrites everyone of them.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    There is nothing libs will not use to get at trump.

One might ponder if theres so much trump does wrong why go after the wife.

Pathetic, he lnows its a thread he can jig up hate then sit back and say, i didn do nutin.
    Well, at least we leave all his other (past) wives alone.

Are there any future wives we should be aware of so none of them are maligned?
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post
    Well, at least we leave all his other (past) wives alone.

Are there any future wives we should be aware of so none of them are maligned?
    i caught Marla Maples when she stared in the Rodgers Follies on Broadway. She was beautiful. If I was near her, it would be me who was bothered.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I give her a pass on this one, and see it as a criticism of Donald's behaviour. She seems to do a decent job of keeping Baron (what a name to be saddled with) out of the limelight and being treated as an American Prince by the media. But then I don't see any of the trash magazines that would do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    I might have cared a little bit.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    There is nothing libs will not use to get at trump.

One might ponder if theres so much trump does wrong why go after the wife.

Pathetic, he lnows its a thread he can jig up hate then sit back and say, i didn do nutin.
    You mean like how the conservatives did not go after Michele to get at Obama? Or how they spent the past 30 years attacking Hillary? Tell me Bobbys, how does it feel to be a hypocrite?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    You mean like how the conservatives did not go after Michele to get at Obama? Or how they spent the past 30 years attacking Hillary? Tell me Bobbys, how does it feel to be a hypocrite?
    That black woman and Michele were both fair game. Speaking of that black woman, of course I mean the wife of our first black president would be drawn and quartered by the #metoo victims if they hadn't been raped a generation before now.

Personally, I don't care at all what Melania says or does. As she has no power to make policy, she's irrelevant. Oh sure, first wives can be advocates for good causes and can help to raise awareness of issues among the public, but it's really petty and pointless to spend any time parsing and arguing over their tweets, how they dress, and what they say. I say ignore them unless they do or say something extraordinarily profound or extraordinarily stupid.
    Voting is like driving a car: Choose "R" to move backwards. Choose "D" to move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post

I recall that Nancy Reagan was the butt of jokes, but only because she used an astrologist to help with White House affairs.
    Of course she didn't have a billion morons on the internet as fans.