Thread: Plantation teak

Default Plantation teak

I happen to have access to a substantial amount of 10 year old logs of plantation teak. Any suggestion what I could build with it? Preferably a small work boat type.
    www.sv14.org
    S\V14 Empowering Adaptive Sailing

Default Re: Plantation teak

Sorry. Not suitable for boats (joke). Pack it all in a shipping container and send to me. I'll use it to keep the shop warm (also joke).

Welcome to the forum! (a little late) Hope you stick around.

Most of us cannot imagine having such a supply of teak. Others will be around with lots of suggestions.

PS-I want to visit Thailand. What month would you recommend as far as weather? Trying to escape the Texas heat.
    Last edited by bluedog225; 02-27-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Have you got access to good fastenings? Many a teak boat built in Far east ruined by cheap fixings. What about saw process, are you ripping it down to planks or veneers? How do you want to build?

What are your carpentry skills like? How are going to use the boat and what kind of waters will it be on?

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia View Post
    I happen to have access to a substantial amount of 10 year old logs of plantation teak. Any suggestion what I could build with it? Preferably a small work boat type.
    10 years old teak won't have much diameter to it, will it? What diameter are the logs?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"