Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spira boat design help

Default Re: Spira boat design help

I found this pic of the Spira Hatteras on the web. Looks pretty roomy.

And another one:

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I am just starting to build a stretched Hatteras. After contacting Mr. Spira about my plan he stated in his message that the Hatteras could be lengthened up to 10% with the bottom width, beam and all other measurements left the same. I am going to add approx. 1.5 inches or 38mm between each frame for a total length of 20' 4.5" not quite the 10% but close enough and this gets me over 20' which is what I was after. I am at the point of setting up my work area and will be building the strongback and lofting board this weekend if nothing prevents me from doing so.

Please post plenty of build pics. I'd be happy to have a stretched Hatteras myself. Although for aesthetic purposes I'd probably lower the shear at the transom a couple inches.
    Last edited by JimD; 03-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Thats pretty cool.
    I have not started mine yet.
    I will need to get the plans for the boat. Still not sure if the Hatteras or the Quintana.
    Picture would be great to see when you are building it.

mike88, have you made a decision yet? For your usage I think that the 21' Tiburon Panga with a 75hp would be the best pick of the Spira boats. I know it exceeds your length limit and 50hp goals. Build substantial side decks and it should get the job done.

You should mock-up the soles and some of the topsides of the boats you are considering to check the acceptability of the layouts. Scale the dimensions off of the computer screen. I am not a fan of the highly raked topsides. I like to be able to have my toes of one foot against the hull topsides, and my leg against the coaming directly above my toes or further inboard.

Im pretty sure its gonna be the Hatteras or the Quintana. I leaning more towards building the 19' Quintana wide Panga.
    The 21' Tiburon Panga wont fit in my garage.
    The 19'er is already a stretch but I think I can make it work.
    I really like the wide shape of the Quintana which will give me a ton or room.
    Got some other projects around the house I need to finish up first but Im planing to start the build around August/September so I can get it done for 2019 Spring.
    Its quite some time until then, but that just means I can do more research and learn more about boat building.

Quote Originally Posted by Skiff Man View Post
    mike88, have you made a decision yet? For your usage I think that the 21' Tiburon Panga with a 75hp would be the best pick of the Spira boats. I know it exceeds your length limit and 50hp goals. Build substantial side decks and it should get the job done.

You should mock-up the soles and some of the topsides of the boats you are considering to check the acceptability of the layouts. Scale the dimensions off of the computer screen. I am not a fan of the highly raked topsides. I like to be able to have my toes of one foot against the hull topsides, and my leg against the coaming directly above my toes or further inboard.

Can you explain that sentence a little bit better? I dont really understand what you mean.
    You should mock-up the soles and some of the topsides of the boats you are considering to check the acceptability of the layouts. Scale the dimensions off of the computer screen. I am not a fan of the highly raked topsides. I like to be able to have my toes of one foot against the hull topsides, and my leg against the coaming directly above my toes or further inboard.[/QUOTE]

Sorry that response was clear as mud. As suggested in an earlier post, you can scale the dimensions of these boats right off of the computer screen using the study plans and a ruler. You can then layout the boat's bottom plan on your garage floor using rope or pieces of wood. This will give you a good idea of how much room you will have in the boat. You can place or mock-up crew, coolers, center console, bait well, etc into the layout. The boat's sole will actually be a little wider than the boat's bottom plan.

I feel it is also important to mock-up the hull topsides as well, especially aft, to see if the hull topside rake (or flare) is acceptable for fishing or working over the sides. If the topsides rake is too great, the boat's beam will not be good indication of useful room in the boat, and inhibit you from leaning over the sides. I like 6 to 12 degrees topsides rake aft in a fishing boat, and a substantial side deck. The Quintana has about 20 degrees topside rake, and the Hatteras has a lot more than that (scaling off of the computer screen).

Also, the Quintana has very high freeboard for your purposes. The freeboard at the bow for the Quintana is about 1/5th of the boat length. You shouldn't need more than about 1/6th of the boat length in freeboard at the bow for your stated purposes, and about 5/8th of that at the transom (unless you just want more freeboard for other reasons). This is one of the reasons I recommended the Tiburon. The other reasons are related to your probable max weight (about 2500 Lbs?) and the low power.

Thanks, this is some very helpful information.
    I actually like the high freeboard. We are planing on taking little kids on the boat with us, so a higher freeboard is prefered. The boat will be mostly used as a family boat. That why the space is so important to me.
    I will try to measure from the study plans and lay everything out on the garage floor.

Little kids are not little for very long in my experience and will probably be wearing a good personal flotation device. High sided boats can be a pain to fish out of. Personal opinion of course.

Understand what you are saying RonP.
    Im not a big fishermen either. Going to fish once in a while but I think nothing I couldnt do from any boat.

Cool Mike, sounds like you know what your looking for. Deciding how to get it is the hard part. Have fun choosing.

Its so difficult to pick a boat, I am going over and over plans from spira, bateau, etc...

Have you seen this? I really like it, its a bit more expensive build than Spira's. But such a nice boat.

https://bateau.com/studyplans/OB19_study.php?prod=OB19

If you are going with family I'll put some place to sit in the bow and stern. I also like the high freeboard, makes me feel safer.

Sea fox CC 206 has a nice layuot for family and fishing. Theres a youtube video on florida sportsmen and in the manufacturers website.

Enviado desde mi VIVO XL mediante Tapatalk