Thread: New Whisstock design. Sapphire 26

Default New Whisstock design. Sapphire 26

This is probably getting on in size for a home build CNC kit, but its not a massive displacement, and road going beam. I like it!

http://www.whisstock.com/page_02.php....31&design=171

The fin keel draft is too extreme for me. A modern Black Soo?

Default Re: New Whisstock design. Sapphire 26

I like this design. I don’t see many clinker options in this size of boat. CNC cut planks and frames, that will save a lot of time. I also like the cabin plan, it is big little cruiser.
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

It's not too dissimilar in dimensions to my 28'er; the extra LOA and beam in my boat is in overhangs and flare. Given experience with my boat and with four of the "maxi" trailable yachts we had down here which are also of roughly similar dimensions, it's perhaps surprising to see a rather old-fashioned rig on the Whisstock. The fore and aft lowers and masthead rig make it hard to easily adjust heeling moment, which seems to be important in this sort of boat which tends to be rather low on righting moment due to the narrow beam. My 28'er was designed for a very similar rig (in 1968) and it has nothing like the wind range of a modern rig, which means that these light and slender boats tend to be often overpowered or underpowered. Putting a fractional rig on my boat transformed it in speed and in ease of handling.
    Last edited by Chris249; 02-27-2018 at 07:08 PM.

[QUOTE=Chris249;5492104] The fore and aft lowers and masthead rig make it hard to easily adjust heeling moment, which seems to be important in this sort of boat which tends to be rather low on righting moment due to the narrow beam.[QUOTE]

Can you expand on that Chris? It sounds like you are saying that the lowers prevent the use of a lot of back stay adjustment to bend the mast to de-power the main. It has more beam than a folkboat, slightly less in the way of ballast ratio, but carries the ballast lower. I would imagine that it would sail much like a Folkboat, heeling down to a certain point before the ballast takes effect. Folkboat, is fractional,as you prefer, maybe for the reason you stated?