X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willin woodworks
    • Jan 2011

Bandsaw Bite

File this one under dumbass...

Working in the shop Saturday using a shopmade jig for cutting dovetails in the tops of table legs; I need to make six legs, twelve cuts total. The jig and the leg require a reasonable amount of pressure on the rip fence and the table to keep everything aligned.
    Mid cut on the second or third piece I felt the table tilt just the tinest bit. Stopped the cut and reached under the table to tighten the handwheel that secures the table....without shutting off the saw......
    Chewed a pretty good trough in the tip of my second finger, nice clean V groove in the end of the nail. Lots blood and cursing. Probably should have gotten a couple of stitches but opted for the traditional paper towel and black electrical tape.
    Healing pretty nicely so far if not a little tender.
    Lesson learned....maybe even qualifies as "Double Dumbass".
  • Garret
    Hills of Vermont
    • Apr 2005

Re: Bandsaw Bite

Ouch! Good to know others use the paper towel & electrical tape bandage.

Cuts into a nail do take time to heal & don't heal right unless kept really clean (if even then). I'm sure you know that, but thought I should say it...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Dusty Yevsky
      • Jun 2007

The one and only good thing about a minor mishap is that you'll be very safety conscious for the next thousand hours in the shop.

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
        • Dec 1999

You were out at least on the 2 sigma part of the curve of workshop dumbness. Been out there a few times myself.
        Tom L

Comment

• navydog
          • Sep 2007

Well at least you didn't reach under there just to see if something would hurt you (seen that one before).

Comment

• willin woodworks
            • Jan 2011

Whats really scary is how quickly I reached under the table without even a second thought.

Comment

• Tom Lathrop
              • Dec 1999

One important question is: Were you multitasking in any form? Listening to headphones, thinking about something else, etc.
              Tom L

Comment

• willin woodworks
                • Jan 2011

Nope. I was concentrating on keeping the jig flat on the table and tight to the fence.

Comment

• Ron Williamson
                  Rocketman
                  • Apr 2000

There is definitely a danger gap under both of my bandsaws where the table tilts down and blade is exposed,right near the tilt handles.
                  I don't use them enough to be casual about reaching without looking.
                  R
                  Sleep with one eye open.

Comment

• jpatrick
                    Measures twice/Cuts twice
                    • Jun 2010

I'm very happy that you're not badly hurt. Sounds like the nick will heal OK. But I'm going to go out on a limb here: I bet something about this jig setup isn't right. And you knew/know it. A proper jig for a power tool shouldn't require such concentrated attention. Nor should it require such pressure to cause the table to tilt. I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, willin. Nor am I trying to criticize. Goodness knows I've done some stupid things myself. But discussion of a machine mishaps need to be complete, I think.

When you felt the table tilt just a bit, why didn't you shut it down to re-set? It would seem that the accuracy afforded by any jig went away with that tilt.

Jeff

Comment

• DeniseO30
                      Thinks too much..
                      • Jan 2009

Glad it was not worse!... it's messy cleaning sawdust off of fingers and hands that fall on the floor....
                      Denise, Bristol PA, retired from HVAC business, & boat restoration and building

Comment

• Jay Greer
                        • Nov 2004

I got bit once too and so can sympathise with you. Saw was off but blade was coasting a bit and it bit! Not on the table but in the gap between the wheels that was covered with thin tape for a dust collection set up. Now I have a piece of door skin under the tape!

Wishing you a fast down wind tack on the healing!
                        Jay
                        Last edited by Jay Greer; 02-26-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• pvg
                          • Jun 2014

Of course we all know not to make adjustments etc while the machine is running ��
                          A shop teacher in high school (60+ years ago) told us "the blade isn't stopped until you can count the teeth."
                          pvg

Comment

• Canoeyawl
                            • Jun 2003

Reminds me of the time I reached in to adjust the timing right through the fan blades on a running John Deere.
                            ( The blades are invisible when running...)
                            Ouch

Comment

• willin woodworks
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jpatrick
                              I'm very happy that you're not badly hurt. Sounds like the nick will heal OK. But I'm going to go out on a limb here: I bet something about this jig setup isn't right. And you knew/know it. A proper jig for a power tool shouldn't require such concentrated attention. Nor should it require such pressure to cause the table to tilt. I'm not trying to ruffle your feathers, willin. Nor am I trying to criticize. Goodness knows I've done some stupid things myself. But discussion of a machine mishaps need to be complete, I think.

When you felt the table tilt just a bit, why didn't you shut it down to re-set? It would seem that the accuracy afforded by any jig went away with that tilt.

Jeff
                              No criticism taken and you make a fair point. There is more table leg off the saw table than on so it does require a certain amount of pressure at the business end to keep it all flat on the saw table. Using a support on the infeed end would mitigate the pressure needed. Note to self....

Never been hurt on a bandsaw before other than whacking my head on the underside of the table when standing up once...I do make adjustments with the saw running; height of the guide blocks to suit the thickness of the stock, adjusting the thrust bearings, moving the fence to predetermined settings. I would never tilt the table with the saw running.

Comment

Working...