Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Propane stove rust

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Propane stove rust

    I have a four burner propane stove/oven that is is efficient but quickly becoming an eyesore as the stainless sheeting rusts. Iíve tried standard cleaning products, baking soda, backing soda and lemon juice and even blue steel. The unit is 38 years old and the boat lives on salt water so maybe itís run its course. Any suggestions?
    thanks,
    paul

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,345

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    When I was looking at stainless wood stoves, someone mentioned that the high heat cooks out the parts of the alloy that make it rust resistant. If that is the case, maybe clean it up and hit it with high temp bbq paint.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    thanks Tom,

    I'll give it a shot.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Metal polish of the sort sold in automotive shops is good (it is mildly abrasive and looks like gritty tooth paste). A buffing wheel on a bench grinder would work wonders. Probably can't get into your stove with a bench grinder, but look for an attachment for an angle grinder or even a drill which can carry some polishing compound (find polishing compound in the hardware store where they have buffing wheels for bench grinders). Even deep rust can be removed from stainless, which leaves a pitted, but shiny surface. Don't give up on your attempts, if something doesn't work it probably just needs more grunt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Thanks SB Rocks,
    There’s been no shortage of elbow grease. Each year, i’ve disassembled everything disassembleable ( is that a word), taken the pieces home and scoured and polished till me fingers ached. However, your idea of power assisted cleaning has given me pause. I’ll give it a whirl

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    6,336

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    You might need to pickle it with acid to burn out the remnants of iron/steel that's making it rust.
    Don't use anything on it that has been used on,or contains regular steel.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    First a stainless wire wheel followed by a buffing wheel with polishing compound. For hard to reach places like corners and small pieces a dremel tool is king. There are wire brushes and felt wheels in many sizes for any imaginable rotary tool.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    You might need to pickle it with acid to burn out the remnants of iron/steel that's making it rust.
    Don't use anything on it that has been used on,or contains regular steel.
    R
    thanks Ron, if I can’t buff it out i’ll give the acid a whirl.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    First a stainless wire wheel followed by a buffing wheel with polishing compound. For hard to reach places like corners and small pieces a dremel tool is king. There are wire brushes and felt wheels in many sizes for any imaginable rotary tool.
    Thanks, Rumars. There are many hidden corners on this thing which is stuffed into a very small galley, so not only will a dremel tool be king, but probably my new, best friend. Hope I can convince the Easter bunny to leave one in our carrot patch.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    3,100

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Toss it... time for another stove... or boat!
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    386

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Bribe the Easter bunny into the flex shaft attachement for the dremel, you don't want to curse at your new best friend. A telescopic mirror with a LED might shine some light at your new relationship.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Searsport, Maine
    Posts
    198

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    This is probably way further than you want to go, but good thoughts on where your rusting could be coming from:

    https://www.cartech.com/en/alloy-tec...ss-steel-parts

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    se pa (Bristol PA)
    Posts
    3,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    thanks Ron, if I can’t buff it out i’ll give the acid a whirl.
    Line the bottom with this and go sailing!

    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Thanks Marujo.
    Certainly food for thought. I think I’ll remove whatever pieces of stainless I can get to, and then try buffing them with compound. If that doesn’t work I’ll consider pickling as you and Ron have suggested. And if that doesn’t work I may get pickled myself.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    This is the best sugg3stion of all Denise. Unfortunately, with my mild case of OCD, every time I go below and see the damn thing my form-versus-function reality gauge goes “kerblooey”.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    I have seen descriptions of rust being dealt with electrolytically (I.e. Dunk it in a bucket of electrolyte and wire the stove as an anode, hmmm or was it cathode... Can't recall... Anyway include power source in the circuit to keep it pumping), but I would think some kind of buffing with a machine would be enough. I've removed some pretty deep rust with success with the bench grinder and buffing wheel.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I have seen descriptions of rust being dealt with electrolytically (I.e. Dunk it in a bucket of electrolyte and wire the stove as an anode, hmmm or was it cathode... Can't recall... Anyway include power source in the circuit to keep it pumping), but I would think some kind of buffing with a machine would be enough. I've removed some pretty deep rust with success with the bench grinder and buffing wheel.
    I think you’re right SB Rock, I have a vision of dumping it in an electrolyte bath, accidentally reversing the polarity and being lit up like Christopher Lloyd in Back to the Future.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    I really would like to see your efforts succeed because fixing stuff is a much better idea than throwing things away. Better for the planet, and your 38 year old gear is no doubt much better quality than what might be available new. Would love to see your before and after pics when it is done.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    16,957

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    I was hoping for a before photo, too. Just to see what we are up against. A photo of the boat under way might be helpful, as well.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I really would like to see your efforts succeed because fixing stuff is a much better idea than throwing things away. Better for the planet, and your 38 year old gear is no doubt much better quality than what might be available new. Would love to see your before and after pics when it is done.
    Not to worry, SB. I teach environmental responsibility at our local power Squadron and helped form the green committee at our rowing club. I’d be hoisted up the mast by my gronicles if I tossed the stove.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I was hoping for a before photo, too. Just to see what we are up against. A photo of the boat under way might be helpful, as well.
    i’ll see what I can do Steven. The snow has almost melted so I’ll head to the boat in the next few days. I’ve got the technological savvy of an aardvark so it might take awhile to figure out how to post pics.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Toodyay, Western Australia
    Posts
    703

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    Not to worry, SB. I teach environmental responsibility at our local power Squadron and helped form the green committee at our rowing club. I’d be hoisted up the mast by my gronicles if I tossed the stove.
    Struth! That would make your eyes water. No option the, looks like the stove will have to be tizzied up again one way or another.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,345

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Small boats rock View Post
    I have seen descriptions of rust being dealt with electrolytically (I.e. Dunk it in a bucket of electrolyte and wire the stove as an anode, hmmm or was it cathode... Can't recall... Anyway include power source in the circuit to keep it pumping), but I would think some kind of buffing with a machine would be enough. I've removed some pretty deep rust with success with the bench grinder and buffing wheel.
    Please no.

    Stainless electrolysis is a bad idea.

    See e.g.

    http://antique-engines.com/stainless...electrodes.htm

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    15,985

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    It's clearly been a long winter. Polish the bits you can see and reach easily. Go sailing.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    295

    Default Re: Propane stove rust

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    It's clearly been a long winter. Polish the bits you can see and reach easily. Go sailing.
    Aye, Aye Sir! Supposed reached plus 10 by the weekend.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •