Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone camping?

Default Re: How is everyone camping?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    a parasol? please tell me that is some rower's or kayaker's down wind sail. . .
    Ummmm...

IMG_0063.jpg

The green umbrella is vented– looks like a good 'un. Instant shelter. It actually makes sense in places with heavy rain, to keep you from getting soaked at a lunch stop or brew-up.

Another use for an umbrella is for desert trekking, where the direct heat from the sun is a killer. One mate, a former British marine, very seasoned in the outdoors, rigged an umbrella to the frame of his pack, and credited it with preventing heatstroke.

Various sort of umbrellas and biminis are also common on really hot desert rivers, such as the Colorado in the Grand Canyon.

More in the usual realm of P-Less, they are also used by golfers.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    yes, i have one in my golf bag, it matches my shoes and glove
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Nice touch on the wedge for that Chip shot...

There are some truly luxurious set ups in this thread! Some of em look more comfortable than my apartment. It's like having a portable cabin.

I don't get anywhere near that fancy. If i can't carry it on my back, it's too much. Even canoe camping, I'm there to enjoy myself, not play pack mule on portages, so the cast iron is strictly car camping materiel.

You'll normally find me in one of these. Or maybe wrapped in a tarp, or dug into a snow bank.

I'll just take my chances with those salt water joys.

AR

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post

A Moka Pot! Nice. I like your style.

Weve been using an AeroPress but is just something so cool about a Moka Pot.

The green umbrella is vented– looks like a good 'un. Instant shelter. It actually makes sense in places with heavy rain, to keep you from getting soaked at a lunch stop or brew-up.

Another use for an umbrella is for desert trekking, where the direct heat from the sun is a killer. One mate, a former British marine, very seasoned in the outdoors, rigged an umbrella to the frame of his pack, and credited it with preventing heatstroke.

Various sort of umbrellas and biminis are also common on really hot desert rivers, such as the Colorado in the Grand Canyon.

that’s roughing it

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Looking at these photos reminds me why we build houses . It all just looks like misery to me.
    Somebody please explain to me the difference between camping and being homeless ? Because in all these photos look like the Santa Ana homeless camp.
    Oh, come on. You know you had some great times camping on Tidbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Intrepid View Post
    There are some truly luxurious set ups in this thread! Some of em look more comfortable than my apartment. It's like having a portable cabin.

I don't get anywhere near that fancy. If i can't carry it on my back, it's too much. Even canoe camping, I'm there to enjoy myself, not play pack mule on portages, so the cast iron is strictly car camping materiel.

You'll normally find me in one of these. Or maybe wrapped in a tarp, or dug into a snow bank.

what model/brand is that?

I used to do a lot of this. that little Eureka! is a terrible tent, no way to get out without water getting inside the tent when it rains.

Then I got one of these. Spoiled for life.

Or this when the ocean calls.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Looking at these photos reminds me why we build houses . It all just looks like misery to me.
    City slicker.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    what model/brand is that?
    Looks like a Hennessy Hammock. Got one and like it a lot. It made at least one appearance at Margo's EBS at Chez Noyes.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by ejds View Post
    Oh! I like that — is that a Bluejacket?

We don't really consider it "camping" -- but this is our little home on the road. This was us a couple days ago, set up at my brothers place in Florida.

We tried out the Grumman Sportboat on the gulf the other day, and it ran fine, kicked along by an old Evinrude 7.5. We hope to have it on some west Texas rivers in a few days, and then on Lake Powell in a couple of weeks.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    We don't really consider it "camping" -- but this is our little home on the road. This was us a couple days ago, set up at my brothers place in Florida.

We tried out the Grumman Sportboat on the gulf the other day, and it ran fine, kicked along by an old Evinrude 7.5. We hope to have it on some west Texas rivers in a few days, and then on Lake Powell in a couple of weeks.

Tom
    Avion, nice! You see lots of Airstreams, not too many of those though. That was the family vacation home when I grew up.
    Nosce te ipsum

I camp more than 50 nights a year.

Here's my old Cabela's truck tent (no longer made) on an island on Loon Lake, above Lake Tahoe -

Mostly in my new Napier truck tent passable for a cot, table and chairs. Here near Bonney Lake, WA -

Some camping in an old ACW canvas tent that also fits my cot and a small table and chair. Here way down in the high desert near Anza -

And here on Tomales Bay -

And some camping in my bigger authenti-tent, a 12x16' Panther marquee with a painter's tarp fly. Here it is at the Vallejo Pirate Festival where we play the bad guys, aka Royal Navy artillery.
    Last edited by Thorne; 02-25-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Oh! I like that — is that a Bluejacket?
    Thanks, it is a Bluejacket 255.

Egbert

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    I am now convinced that two burros are the way to go. Clementine and Gladys. Maybe a third burro named Ardyce or Scout, just to carry the folding chairs and table.
    All Jennies? I might suggest putting a bell on 'Clementine'.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    yes, i have one in my golf bag, it matches my shoes and glove
    Pretty in Pink.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

The difference between camping and being homeless is obvious. Joe's just being ornery.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

pink plaid knickers would be cool
    but usually i wear khaki pants or shorts

Pretty in Pink.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 02-26-2018 at 06:28 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    The difference between camping and being homeless is obvious. Joe's just being ornery.
    to an adult, sure. I had a co-worker who described his family's long summers camping on Crown Land when he was a kid, and his bewilderment at the time about why they never went back to their "home" apartment when September came around, but to a new one. The family was poor, and Terry said that he was nearly 20 before he realized that those summers they weren't "camping," they were homeless.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

One of our last camps from last summer. It had started to rain, which was wonderful after weeks and weeks of heavy smoke from forest fires.

P9080801.jpg

We are so looking forward to camping this year on our favourite trout fishing lake, in a big tent with camp cots and our plywood outboard skiff.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    One of our last camps from last summer. It had started to rain, which was wonderful after weeks and weeks of heavy smoke from forest fires.

P9080801.jpg

JP, where is that?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Not just the poor who are homeless. I stayed at a wonderful campground in Bay City, WA and the couple who were hosting there lived in a nice camp trailer. Their home was rented out at a good summer rental rate. They were voluntarily homeless to make the summer rental money off their home.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    JP, where is that?
    Could be the Salmon?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    JP, where is that?
    Main Salmon river in Idaho. Nice big beach camp(s) for such a small group as ours (two boats, four people).

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Scout might be a gelding. What is the purpose of the bell?
    So she won't be "... lost and gone forever, oh my darling, Clementine". Damn song's been stuck in my head since I read your post yesterday.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

My wife is one of the hostesses for the tents our community organization "Ome" rents out on AirBnB.

Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Must be nice to live in a place without mosquitoes.

And other things, too.

Those are awesome, Steve.

Emily, you are correct; Newfoundland has no mosquitoes - it is a camping Eden. Ooops! 'Scuse me, I have to leave the computer - my nose just grew too long, is touching the monitor, and I can't reach the keyboard ...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

Emily, you are correct; Newfoundland has no mosquitoes - it is a camping Eden. Ooops! 'Scuse me, I have to leave the computer - my nose just grew too long, is touching the monitor, and I can't reach the keyboard ...
    ha ha. I didn't realize that was Newfie. It looked like western WA or BC.

While those are awesome, as you say, Mike, platforms don't keep the bugs out and in places with black flies and mosquitoes one doesn't leave the screens unzipped for a moment longer than necessary.

And other things, too.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post

You have two choices camping in Newfoundland as I figure it: Stay in the open, near the shore like our tents are, and put up with the almost constant wind. Alternatively, you can go in the woods and be eaten alive by the nippers. I've only made the mistake of going into the woods on a hot summer day once. I've come to really appreciate the wind.

I actually found the bugs to be a lot less of an issue here than they were in Nova Scotia.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

twodot, you were probably early - blackflies come out before mosquitoes. And yes, they'll drive just about any warm-blooded creature insane. That is why moose keep getting hit on the Trans-Canada Highway in Newfoundland - the durned critters come out and stand on the highway at night to try to find a breeze to blow the little flying bastids away for a few minutes.

Emily, the only stupid Newfoundlanders are the ones in jokes. There are ways of building raised deck tent platforms to eliminate biting bugs from getting through, and blackflies and mosquitoes don't go into cool, dark places when there is warmer places and prey about. Nothing wrong with that tent setup at all, at all.

Been there for a spring yet, Steve?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.