Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone camping?

Default Re: How is everyone camping?

wish I had a pic of my Isuzu Trooper at Burning Man in 1998.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    My own bed in my house. I like to sleep.

Jeff C
    Actually, I slept really well, hiking, biking, and canoeing for miles everyday made good nights for sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Actually, I slept really well, hiking, biking, and canoeing for miles everyday made good nights for sleeping.
    Try doing it for a couple of weeks starting tomorrow, and give us a report on how it goes.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    wish I had a pic of my Isuzu Trooper at Burning Man in 1998.
    #Me too. ��

Wonder where Fitz is wandering these days. I want another look at that giant griddle hanging off a tripod.

For overall ease and comfort, I love our cabin on wheels

However, it really only sleeps two comfortably, so when the kids come with us, they get set up in this

And tucked away, we've still got this...

I don't know why I continue to hang onto it. At 140 lbs, even split between two bags (70 lbs of steel and 70 lbs of canvas) it's a bear to haul around. But I still daydream of getting a stove pipe panel installed, flexing a few battens over the crossbars to support an additional rain tarp and spending a couple of weeks somewhere that won't accomodate my Airstream, but will accomodate my fly-fishing addiction.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    http://www.deluxewalltents.com/?gcli...SAAEgILyvD_BwE

Photo from their website.

These are expensive, but they're the best.

I lived in the 8x10 model for the summer and it was more than adequate.

You can get a porch for it but I just got the heavy duty tarp cover that was long enough to provide a roof extending several feet out from the door. That was nice to have for covered storage for firewood and what have you. I used a rope strung tightly (trucker's hitch) between 2 trees as a ridge for the tarp, and the price was well worth it for the tubing frame, which is the most durable I've ever seen.

I had the ground cloth too, necessary in a wet environment.

Perry will sew up your tent to your own custom specs, meaning doors, windows, stove pipe flange. I would ask him to shorten the canvas sides about 8" and add 8" to the plastic skirt. Where the canvas touches the wet ground all of the way around it is prone to rot after a while. An option would be to make some wood blocks to put the posts on to bring the canvas up a bit.

Attachment 11727Attachment 11728

I never left my boots or coat out under the porch though, the wolves are like overgrown puppies and would have taken them away and chewed them to bits.

Attachment 11729Attachment 11730

That was in a relatively rainy environment so I got the stove they sell, which is a very good quality stove. It certainly is heavy though at 54 pounds, and bulky. If I were to purchase another I would get the shorter model just for the weight savings. The company that manufactures the stoves is down in the states, Idaho perhaps. The tent manufacturer (Perry) only sells the 28" model, but I think there's a 16" model available from them. I'm sure Perry would be glad to give you their address etc. I'd get it for you but it's behind a bunch of big heavy stuff right now.

A nice thing about the 28" model that I have though is that you can pile a whole lot of rocks on the top. That helps a lot with heat modulation. Without the rocks it would get up to about 130 or 140 degrees pretty quickly, and things would cool too quickly when it went out.

Elf is dead on about having a chair. When it rains hard for 3 days it's worth having something you can lay back in and read a book or 2. I had one of these.

A folding cot and an inflatable mattress made for true comfort when the nights were cold and wet and the wind and wolves were howling.

I like to have a kitchen tent as well, a bit removed from the sleeping tent. Here's a photo of one from 2016 when family and friends were there. The shelves and counters are from driftwood.

Attachment 11731

Y'all like to trail a pile o' **** with you.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Y'know, 50 years of sleeping in a 2-person backpacking tent for a week or two in New Hampshire, Thermarest pad under down comforter, and at age 75 I'm ready to be able to stand up fully inside the tent and pull on my undies, thank you. Crawling out of all that nice warmth to squat and pee lost its charm a few years ago, thanks.

One hot meal a day is all I need, the rest is bread, cheese, a bag of lettuce and water or OJ. Free to hunt photos and a relatively comfortable place to sleep without paying a motel or b&b.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    Y'all like to trail a pile o' **** with you.
    R
    Not always. I've lived for months at a time out of my backpack. This was easy though, I got there by boat, and for 3 months it was worth it.

Lived in a canvas wall tent for quite awhile (3 months at one stretch) when I was campjacking and wrangling, and again when I was guiding pack trips and hunts. This sort of rig, with a steel box stove. Slept on the ground. I'm too tall for cots.

Then I worked for an outfitter who had Triple A Springbar canvas tents for the dudes that were made of high-thread-count canvas, easy to set up, more stable in wind, with bug netting and front awnings:

The end bars on the roof are tensioned steel, which keep the canvas taut and flex in gusts (rather than acting like a spinnaker and pulling stakes). Very good tents in high wind. Als good in snow: they don't bag and droop.

Here's the awning with netting—

This one's pitched a bit crook, since the awning should slope down away from the tent, to shed water and melting snow. I had a net door and window, but none on the awning. They sewed a stove panel in the roof opposite the door and I used a US Army Yukon stove in cold weather. Lived in that for 4-5 years, from May-October. Even had a folding wood rocking chair, like this one—

We were camped in mountaineering tents up high for much of my work time, so the canvas tent was luxurious: I'm 6'4"/193 cm and I can stand up in it. The AAA company makes both a range of Springbar tents and custom wall tents: superb craftsmanship and lots of experience.

https://www.springbar.com/springbarreg-tents.html
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Lived in a canvas wall tent for quite awhile (3 months at one stretch) when I was campjacking and wrangling, and again when I was guiding pack trips and hunts. This sort of rig, with a steel box stove. Slept on the ground. I'm too tall for cots.

... snip.....

We were camped in mountaineering tents up high for much of my work time, so the canvas tent was luxurious: I'm 6'4"/193 cm and I can stand up in it. ... snip....
    I use a Hellinox cot - mine's 7 years old now and they've made some refinements and have various options, including a larger one that's 210 cm long and handles 145 kg. Mine's about 190 cm IIRC, and I'm 198 cm - but it doesn't worry me when my feet hang over the end of a bed.

Damn things have got expensive in recent years, but they are good.

https://www.helinox.com.au/camp-stretchers/cot-one

What I carry depends on where I am, which bike I'm on, etc.

Here's the luxurious tent

I also have a bivvy bag, which is only around the 1 kg mark... seen here being used by my son in Mongolia... the orange bag on the left.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I spent 6 months sleeping in a tent when I was homeless back in 2010.
    I will never go camping for fun again.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Calling Gib Etheridge and Dave Hadfield.

A month eh? How will you keep the beer cold? Hell, how will you pack in the beer? On your motorbike?
    Stay long enough and you can brew some.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I think we're talking this millennium. Who uses paper maps nowadays?
    https://burntpointlodge.com/products/silk-maps These guys will print a map (from Google Maps) on silk for you, so it is washable, even wearable as a bandanna etc. If ever I get it together and buy the piece of property I want, I'll print a set of topographic maps like these and hand them out to the as yet unborn grandchildren when they come to play.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I am just about to place an order for an "SUV tent" that can clip onto the back of land rover. I will sleep in the back of the rover, but the tent gives me sitting and standing room
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Are you thinking of motorcycle camping, Lee? We’ve done a few mc camping rallies. A couple up the coast and one over in Vermont. It got so much easier to pack when I put the sidecar on the BMW. I even brought a sleeping bag for Trevor. Much to my surprise he got right in and stayed in it until morning. I thought he’d just sleep on top of it. He was very nervous about the tent. He just kept running away back to the campfire. Once I coaxed him in though he loved it.

The most important thing is sleeping comfortably. The best camping gear we’ve bought is the L.L.Bean Camp Futon. It’s like a Thermarest on steroids. Self inflating but thicker, wider and longer than a thermarest.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/7459...ductId=1243478

And I see Thermarest has a deluxe version now for about twice the price:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/1170...ductId=1618287

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Are you thinking of motorcycle camping, Lee?
    Sure, though the extended hunting camp I mention would be out of the truck. The bike would go along for scouting and such.

I was dreaming of bike camping this summer but it looks like I am going to be slammed 60 hours a week putting together a 4-story "ski lodge" style residence on Mt. Hood. I might take a nice sabbatical after (I keep saying that), with all the camping my little heart desires.

a thermarest dreamtime atop a helinox cot would be the bomb

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I like that plan of working really hard for a while then taking some time off for yourself. It’s when the grueling work has no end in sight that can get you down.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    I like that plan of working really hard for a while then taking some time off for yourself. It’s when the grueling work has no end in sight that can get you down.
    tell me about it

tell me about it
    Fart.

What's with all the straw? Looks like a fire hazard.

There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Put down by previous site occupant for mud suppression, actually. This was late September, after the first snow and melt cycle.

if you mixed that straw with some mud you could make adobe. Then you wouldn't need a tent.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

Shouldn't this thread be titled glamping and not camping?

Quote Originally Posted by JimD View Post
    if you mixed that straw with some mud you could make adobe. Then you wouldn't need a tent.
    You know if lw made adobe bricks like the aussies do. . .

Sunday Camping

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

You know if lw made adobe bricks like the aussies do. . .
    There would only be, like, a teaspoon full of mud left over.

My brother built a three bedroom adobe house, each brick hand made by he and his wife. They lived in a tent for a year or so until they got the garage built, then lived in the garage while they built the house. In Australia.

I usually sleep on the boat, but here's a great spot where I set up a tent in Barkley Sound, BC.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Looking at these photos reminds me why we build houses . It all just looks like misery to me.

a parasol? please tell me that is some rower's or kayaker's down wind sail. . .

Somebody please explain to me the difference between camping and being homeless ? Because in all these photos look like the Santa Ana homeless camp.

a parasol? please tell me that is some rower's or kayaker's down wind sail. . .
    It can be hard to get dry once you're soaked thru, staying dry is worth the effort. My wood stove was great for that, I had wet feet a lot.