Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 56

Thread: How is everyone camping?

Default Re: How is everyone camping?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    By numbers?
    I was unaware that you had Military Service Nick?

Had you just gone in then or are you just coming out?

I've been spending a lot of time in my Wilderness Tent from https://www.walltentshop.com/

https://www.walltentshop.com/collections/canvas-tents

The kids are gearing up for a trip to Yellowstone in 3+ weeks. Latest addition is a soft cargo carrier for the roof of their Subaru --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    The kids are gearing up for a trip to Yellowstone in 3+ weeks. Latest addition is a soft cargo carrier for the roof of their Subaru.
    Wow! A lunchbag for griz bears.

Hope they keep their food in the trunk.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Lots, lately. So much so, it's time to re-treat the Big Agnes tent to help keep the water repellent coating in good shape.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Wow! A lunchbag for griz bears.

Hope they keep their food in the trunk.
    I hope so too. They've been there several times now, so I suspect they know. I think the hunchback is to make room for the food, and the sleeping, inside the Subaru Forester...

ETA - besides, if bears show up, can you just bump 'em with a bicycle to run 'em off??? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    Welllllll, once upon a time and not too long ago, there used not to be folks residing in the marshlands and swamps, building completely enclosed homes along the rivers and streams in the coastal regions of the country. Many of the older homes along the water had no under pending either. This allowed water to flow and go. So sea level rise and resulting damage caused by flooding waters was not an issue or folks would not look to something else to blame for their over development of the wetlands.

This crap now blocks water that in the past have flooded the land in all types of weather systems like hurricanes and northeasters along the Neuse River in particular and destroying the homes of all those folks and their dreams of being next to the water and have the docks and boats at arms reach. This has taken place the entire length of the east coast. And people wonder why all those hurricane damage assessments are so high by comparison.
    I have no doubt that what you say is true but if it is an attempt to say that the sea level is not rising with flood plain regulations not going higher, then I say that the facts are all aligned in the other direction. Certainly dumb come here's like me did build on property that is too low but we have had three 100 year floods in 30 years, which is a little beyond mathematical norms. Much of the house raising is taking place well away from the water as well. Fortunately, i did build the first floor about 15.5 feet above sea level and not subject to wave action so don't expect any problem there. My shop is a different matter and I wish I had been given better advice 30 years ago when the locals told me that there would be no problem based on their long time experience.

Of course the old real estate broker's belief that is where there is water, it is deep enough for your boat and if there is land it is high enough to not be a problem.
    Last edited by Tom Lathrop; 05-22-2018 at 05:54 PM.
    Tom L

We use this

_DSC1217.jpg

That looks like this when it is pitched

_DSC1143.jpg

I don't normally tow with that car, because this is what happens I had an accident with my 4-wheel drive and we had to use my wife's car.

_DSC1223.jpg

Our trailer has always been intended to be a “cabin on wheels.” I’m layed out on the couch as I type this, frig full of food and beer. I’ll be making up my bed in a moment and asleep in 45 minutes.

I like it.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Mostly of time,we rest outside with our beds:
    But if possible, we take this bed for camping!

Last edited by Johnywallter; 06-06-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Here's one of mine... just emergency gear

That was a remote area ride in Cambodia. At that stage I was carrying a thin groundsheet... the olive one and a bivvy bag (lime green). The bivvy bag was horrible... it didn't breath at all, it was like sleeping in a rubber bag in a sauna. I gave it away at the end of the trip. I had to leave the groundsheet behind somewhere too when I couldn't fit it in. I've replaced the bivvy bag with a good one, that my son used on a bike trip through 18 countries from England to Mongolia.

My bag and clothes made the pillow. No other gear carried. Out of water (and quite dehydrated). I'd crashed a couple of times too, one at speed two days earlier, and once that day.... so, had some aches. No food, but one of the other guys shared a tin of tuna. There was a creek and I was carrying a filtration pump and UV purification gear, but we'd passed a very dodgy active gold mine about 10 km upstream. No way in the world were we drinking from that creek.

Of course, we made "camp" in the dark... an unplanned stop - and in tiger territory, which makes one very aware of every noise in the jungle at night. One of the guys is a diabetic with bad eyesight... and we had to lead him around by the arm at night, he's so damn blind. We would have preferred to get to a village.

This is the diabetic guy. Much better bivvy bag

The guy carrying the tin of tuna was much better prepared. A groundsheet over some bamboo attached to his bike.

As a matter of interest... that guy has a teak plantation. He's holding my bike in the next pic, having picked it, and me, up. I carry camera and computer gear in the tank bag. The saddlebags have clothes, tools, spares and oil to last for a month. Total weight about 20kg.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem