Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 345 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone camping?

Default Re: How is everyone camping?

Surely Newfie has no-see-'ems, too.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Been there for a spring yet, Steve?
    Yup, 3 years of coming with the camper in early May, and this will be our second spring living here full time.
    In the Camper in early May we did have some evenings at campgrounds inland that were reminiscent of being at the cottage in Nova Scotia growing up with regards to black flies and nippers. Where we now live there is seldom a time when we have any bugs at all, unless you decide to go in the woods.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

I didn't realize that you were that well seasoned to the gentle caress of The Rock already, Steve. You are damned near a Bayman! I found a few places where the spring blackflies didn't bother me, but they were usually elevated and breezy. But, I seem to be more of a favourite for the little beasties than most. Must be my sweet disposition.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

If I'm camping with more than just myself, I have a nice REI 4-man tent that has held up beautifully for 30+ years. Foam pad in the summer. Thermarest self-inflating mattress in cooler weather.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I'm not opposed to bringing more stuff when car camping (cast iron, bigger tent, better food, etc.), but typically I use this small Eureka Solitaire backpacking tent for all four seasons.

-Trevor

Lightweight ski touring gear, if you can'y carry it you can't have it.
    A little more when canoe touring.
    I use a Macpac Olympus snow tent without the inner in summer.

If Emily looks in here again, and for any other Mainlander with an interest in Newfoundland, DO NOT call them (or refer to them) as "Newfies", nor call their home "Newfie". Because of the legacy of generations of "Newfie jokes", the term is highly offensive. Sort of like calling a black person the "n-word". After living there for several years, my local friends allowed me to use their term - "Newf" - for themselves, but I would never refer to a someone from Newfoundland whom I didn't know as a Newf.

And for those of you who didn't watch the recent Anthony Bourdain's "Parts Unknown" episode where some locals attempt to teach him how to pronounce the name of the place, it is 'new-FUN-land' not 'new-FOUND-land'. And it is said FAST, too.

(Edit to correct a spelling error - mmd)
    Last edited by mmd; 05-16-2018 at 06:33 AM.

If it weren't for backpacking , I wouldn't bother

Nothing too challenging here. Apart from boating, my last two camping trips have been in a campervan around Tasmania looking for out of the way spots near the beach where you can have your own campfire.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Ordered a Whelen lean-to from Beckel Canvas a few months ago. Forgot all about it. Showed up in the mail yesterday, kind of like buying myself a surprise justbecause present.

Ripstop nylon, reasonable set up time. Not mass produced, so cost as much as a typical full tent ($150). The hipster way of going basic.

The poles are not part of it, when packing light you use found branches, natch.

Attachment 16053

Attachment 16054
    Sparks would make a mess of that.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    A little more when canoe touring.
    beer
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Single Malt, and sometimes even a red or 3.
    The Mac is far more stable sailing with a modicum of ballast.

730E8895-EE71-44A2-9A05-7BBA8BD7469E.jpg

Not mine but pretty cool, I think. Leaves the trailer hitch free for towing the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    730E8895-EE71-44A2-9A05-7BBA8BD7469E.jpg

Not mine but pretty cool, I think. Leaves the trailer hitch free for towing the boat.
    I always wonder about those. Most rack manufacturers and vehicle manufacturers have weight limits for the roof. Putting the tent and a person up there would be more than my roof is supposed to support.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I don't have one, but I think that these are pretty cool (leaves the hitch free for the boat trailer, as Steven has pointed out):

When camping in Australia isn’t there always a danger from crocs, dingos and wallabies?

Haven't set up a tent since the kids moved on. now just push a few buttons and grab a beer out of the fridge...

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    When camping in Australia isn’t there always a danger from crocs, dingos and wallabies?
    Not to mention snakes, spiders and drop bears.

We have a nice little 70s pop top camper trailer.
    image.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil Y; 05-17-2018 at 03:23 AM.

Wallabies present no danger unless they are of the rugby playing species. Dingos, .....there was a great country rock band that a few of my friends played in it they where a mild mannered lot. Those of the howling. Aridity send a chilling cry out on those still desert nights and are not considered dangerous...... some would say don’t leave your baby alone in a tent if they are in the vacinity. Don’t tread on a snake although they are rarely stupid enough to come into contact with those heavy fotted smelly noisy humans! Mostly it’s a very safe place ....... I’ve never been concerned for my safety when csmping

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Bogans!

In one secluded camp site, very bush, i watched tiny marsupial mice under my head torch right up close.
    They were like really miniature kangaroo/mice, absolutely the cutest things i have ever seen, would easily have sat in a tea spoon. Possibly young or female Kultarrs. They would run/hop up the blade of a Lomandra stalk (hardy grass like plant) and didn't even bend the blade they were so small and light.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Bogan:

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    ... the wilderness is still just outside the window.
    Precisely where it belongs!

Ah bogans....Yes, when first encountering a bogan in the bush one can feel somewhat apprehensive, even threatened. But mostly if they are given the respect they deserve......... usually just enough not to get a punch in the face, they are reletively harmless. Any testy situation can normally be quickly resolved with the offering of a can of beer, best not thrown but passed in a casual offhand manner. If aggression is evident and quietly escalating throw the bloody can and piss off quick! Avoid boutique beers as these can quickly escalate tensions.

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hallam View Post
    Avoid boutique beers as these can quickly escalate tensions.

And whatever you do, don't stare at the mullet.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

For more insights into the bogan:

https://www.facebook.com/vbmulletsmate/
    Last edited by Hallam; 05-18-2018 at 04:59 AM.

The Wyoming variant of the bogan is a guy who tries to dress like a cowboy, uses flavoured snuff, has obnoxious stickers on his oversize pickup (with a snarling heeler in the bed), but works in a sheet-metal shop.

Since I was a really, truly cowboy, I can usually start telling stories about horses and cows to entertain them, while (of course) buying the beer.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

If you can't carry it or at least, can't put it in a bicycle, it isn't camping. Granted, I had a horse trekking through Alberta but, it was a three month trip.

Back on the topic, I got interested in the rocket stoves that are built and sold in third-world countries where families cook indoors on open fires, which causes more deaths worldwide than AIDS. There's a firm—EnviroFit— based in Fort Collins, CO, that started selling rocket stoves in the US, so I got one. (I used to test and review stoves for outdoor mags and have quite a collection, from benzene scorchers to homemade alcohol burners.)

The one I got, the EnviroFit M5000, is by no means a backpacking stove (over 9 pounds). Part of this owes to the ceramic base and cast iron top plate. The best comparison is to an open fire on the floor of a hut, which this is meant to replace.

The sheet-metal add-on is part of the accessory grill, and also serves as a windscreen for outdoor cooking. The fuel is twigs and sticks. Livestock dung would also work, given enough tinder to start the fire. Despite the oft-spewed BS about using pine cones for fuel, the best source is dry, non-resinous twigs and branches up to the thickness of a thumb. Our section yields quite a lot, as prunings and cuttings, as I reduce our fire hazard.

Pine cones and branches with the bark on produce a sticky, tarry soot. Even with high-quality fuel, this stove will soot up your pots and leave a fine black scrim on grilled foods. The cure would be to build a hot fire and then grill on the coals (which don't last long) or pop in a few briquets.

A promotional video shows an L. L. Bean guy setting a pot on his rocket stove and then wading in to fish, coming back to his dinner. Absolute horseradish! This stove requires tending (pushing in the sticks and adding more) at short intervals, 3-5 minutes, or the fire will burn out. Again, it's perfect for someone who's used to tending an open fire, rather than a fossil-fuel chef.

That said, it delivers lots of heat for the amount of fuel.

Three quarts of water boiled in about 12 minutes. The best use is for family cooking with larger (3+qt.) pots, boiling and fast-stewing. A simmer takes some concentrated attention, as maintaining a low flame isn't easy. If you stick to twigs, it has to be fed minute-to-minute.

I got the accessory grill, which includes a lower skirt, a cast-iron flame diffuser, a cast-iron grill, and a vented lid (not shown).

I grilled some premium foot-long hot dogs and used the lid. They cooked nicely, with a bit of char. But they also had a slight coating of soot, which put black smears on the buns and on napkins. Better fire management or using some briquets might eliminate the problem. But the best use is boiling family-size pots.

This is a buffalo stew for two. A bit small for the stove, I reckon.

Chip is that a Cobb Cooker I spy in the background?

If I'm solo, or have just one companion, I simply sleep in the pickup bed. I put some gear in the back seat of the crewcab, and - if completely solo - the necessaries on the other half of the bed. Though I spilled some diesel one the nifty non-woven fabric bedliner a while back, so will need to shampoo it before I try and sleep back there this season.

If there are more folks - wife, kids, etc., or in this foto my buddies J.Richards, and M. Storer, (and the dog)... I set up the 4-man REI dome.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Is calling someone a bogans anything like calling someone a Newfie? As far as camping goes....is there anything more depressing than a fire base, base camp, boat cabin or a campground in the rain?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Chip is that a Cobb Cooker I spy in the background?
    Right-O! I've had it a couple years and like it. My favourite uses are for meatloaf and spatchcocked roast chicken.

It also does a nice whole chicken, with an overload of briquets.

First heard of it on the Forum. Someone posted about using one on their yacht.

Is calling someone a bogans anything like calling someone a Newfie? As far as camping goes....is there anything more depressing than a fire base, base camp, boat cabin or a campground in the rain?
    Pfffttt... I rather enjoy camping in the rain at times. Different mood. Quieter. Water's different. Crowded sites far less crowded. Yahoos mostly disappear. Different critters to be seen. Fishing sometimes improves.

Wouldn't want to do it every time, though. The gear would never get dry <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks