Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: How is everyone camping?

Default How is everyone camping?

I have a vision for a month long hunting camp this fall.

This is "Camp Hasty" on the Minam Rim the last weekend of bow season.

20170923_163359.jpg

A bit ramshackle but there was no wind to speak of and I slept two nights on that cot happy as a clam.

I'd like a big white canvas outfitters tent with a woodburning stove and no cell signal...

Default Re: How is everyone camping?

Calling Gib Etheridge and Dave Hadfield.

A month eh? How will you keep the beer cold? Hell, how will you pack in the beer? On your motorbike?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Calling Gib Etheridge and Dave Hadfield.

A month eh? How will you keep the beer cold? Hell, how will you pack in the beer? On your motorbike?
    Going to start drinking whiskey.

Jail trustee pants?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post

Cotton socks?

Got new tent last summer 8'x8' cabin style, and cot. Learned in the autumn how cold the tent got because it had so much headroom that I could not warm up. Forgot about why backpacking tents are small. Cot required foam padding to keep body heat from vanishing through the canvas, but much more comfortable when nature called two or three times a night. It was luxurious to have a chair and table inside the tent, especially on foul weather days.

Where I camp no food can be left unattended (except in vehicles) due to bears, so anything like your photo would be completely out of the question. Either find a tree and hang it, or camp near a lockable vehicle. Bug netting is also essential.

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

of course!

Ceiling is entirely net, so heat escapes readily. In summer good, in autumn bad. Cot is too narrow but everything's a compromise.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

By numbers?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Got new tent last summer 8'x8' cabin style, and cot. Learned in the autumn how cold the tent got because it had so much headroom that I could not warm up. Forgot about why backpacking tents are small. Cot required foam padding to keep body heat from vanishing through the canvas, but much more comfortable when nature called two or three times a night. It was luxurious to have a chair and table inside the tent, especially on foul weather days.

Where I camp no food can be left unattended (except in vehicles) due to bears, so anything like your photo would be completely out of the question. Either find a tree and hang it, or camp near a lockable vehicle. Bug netting is also essential.

Beautiful photograph Emily. Almost enough to make me want to take up camping.

Ive been living in one like this for five months on a 16 x 24 deck. Except theres WiFi. 5 walls, 10x 12 with 10 x 12 foyer. If you didnt want to go with full aluminum frame and all that Id be inclined to utilize a few heavy cotton/poly tarps to wall off a space.

just replace the mts and scrub with oaks and hickory.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I’ve been living in one like this for five months on a 16’ x 24’ deck. Except there’s WiFi. 5’ walls, 10’x 12’ with 10’ x 12’ foyer. If you didnt want to go with full aluminum frame and all that I’d be inclined to utilize a few heavy cotton/poly tarps to wall off a space...
    Mmmhnn, I'm actually happiest without walls until the weather goes sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Puttputt View Post
    Beautiful photograph Emily. Almost enough to make me want to take up camping.
    Yeah, think I just saw Henry Fonda out there fishin'.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

Four man Eureka timberline.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Mmmhnn, I'm actually happiest without walls until the weather goes sideways.
    that’s where the heavy tarps are nice if you have to contend with hard rain. I’ve got a few 12’ x 14’ polyester/cotton tarps that make good cover with 3/8” line lacing through the grommets to trees.

http://www.tarpsonline.com/tarps/colorworkhorse.aspx

I don't backpack any more. So I sleep in the bed of the crew-cab long-bed Toyota Tundra with a canopy. Gear goes beside me, or in the back seat, or out on the picnic table (I have a portable aluminum one for those campsites without).

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I have a vision for a month long hunting camp this fall.

This is "Camp Hasty" on the Minam Rim the last weekend of bow season.

20170923_163359.jpg

A bit ramshackle but there was no wind to speak of and I slept two nights on that cot happy as a clam.

I'd like a big white canvas outfitters tent with a woodburning stove and no cell signal...
    The bugs would eat you alive around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    The bugs would eat you alive around here.
    Yup. In the Midwest too. And the South. And Texas? Don't get me started.

I keep my tailgate and hatch open, along with the sliders on the side of the canopy. Unless it's gonna rain.

Just another way that the Northwest RULES <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I applaud you guys who camp out.
    When we first bought our property in Vermont 25 years ago, we'd camp out on the property with the two kids while the vacation cabin was being built. Once the floor was framed, we'd pitch the tent inside. Lots of good memories and good times.
    Now? No thanks. My warm bed is too inviting. That vacation cabin is now our full time home and the wilderness is still just outside the window.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I didn't know they sold tents with no cell signal.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Here in California the bears don't need a can opener to open cars.
    "The future is already here it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Two man tent, small cook stove, sleeping bag, clean clothes, rain gear Michlien maps, and my bicycle, good to go. Oh insect repellant for the Scottish Highlands definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Two man tent, small cook stove, sleeping bag, clean clothes, rain gear Michlien maps, and my bicycle, good to go. Oh insect repellant for the Scottish Highlands definitely.
    I think we're talking this millennium. Who uses paper maps nowadays?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I do. It took me more then ten yrs to buy a GPS sailing and I never used it for navigating. All I did was estimate the arrival time. loved watching it go from one extreme, hours to the other depending on the wind conditions. And I'm basically an old fashioned guy, Less to break.

http://www.deluxewalltents.com/?gcli...SAAEgILyvD_BwE

Photo from their website.

These are expensive, but they're the best.

I lived in the 8x10 model for the summer and it was more than adequate.

You can get a porch for it but I just got the heavy duty tarp cover that was long enough to provide a roof extending several feet out from the door. That was nice to have for covered storage for firewood and what have you. I used a rope strung tightly (trucker's hitch) between 2 trees as a ridge for the tarp, and the price was well worth it for the tubing frame, which is the most durable I've ever seen.

I had the ground cloth too, necessary in a wet environment.

Perry will sew up your tent to your own custom specs, meaning doors, windows, stove pipe flange. I would ask him to shorten the canvas sides about 8" and add 8" to the plastic skirt. Where the canvas touches the wet ground all of the way around it is prone to rot after a while. An option would be to make some wood blocks to put the posts on to bring the canvas up a bit.

Nikon Summer 2017 128.jpgNikon Summer 2017 049.jpg

I never left my boots or coat out under the porch though, the wolves are like overgrown puppies and would have taken them away and chewed them to bits.

Nikon Summer 2017 032.jpgNikon Summer 2017 192.jpg

That was in a relatively rainy environment so I got the stove they sell, which is a very good quality stove. It certainly is heavy though at 54 pounds, and bulky. If I were to purchase another I would get the shorter model just for the weight savings. The company that manufactures the stoves is down in the states, Idaho perhaps. The tent manufacturer (Perry) only sells the 28" model, but I think there's a 16" model available from them. I'm sure Perry would be glad to give you their address etc. I'd get it for you but it's behind a bunch of big heavy stuff right now.

A nice thing about the 28" model that I have though is that you can pile a whole lot of rocks on the top. That helps a lot with heat modulation. Without the rocks it would get up to about 130 or 140 degrees pretty quickly, and things would cool too quickly when it went out.

Elf is dead on about having a chair. When it rains hard for 3 days it's worth having something you can lay back in and read a book or 2. I had one of these.

A folding cot and an inflatable mattress made for true comfort when the nights were cold and wet and the wind and wolves were howling.

I like to have a kitchen tent as well, a bit removed from the sleeping tent. Here's a photo of one from 2016 when family and friends were there. The shelves and counters are from driftwood.

Camping 2016 (98).jpg
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-24-2018 at 08:09 PM.

man look at that driftwood!
    we don't get much of that in hell. . .

More tips....

Looking back I see a lot of people offering setups with no head room. That's a recipe for a sore back for me.

Assemble the tent at home one time before heading out.

Get the stove pipe kit, including the support tubing. Add a twist drill and some small sheet metal screws and a screwdriver to hold the pipe sections together in high winds. The kit comes with a piece of perforated metal strapping to hold it to the support. Add one more strap and bolt, and bring a roll of stainless wire for guys. Don't let the pipe between the elbows slope toward the tent, rain water will follow it in. Get a stove pipe cap to keep rain from getting into the pipe.

Bring some newspaper for getting the fire lit.

I prefer a bivy sack. But I am happy enough sleeping in my rain suit - with a bug hood and gloves.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    man look at that driftwood!
    we don't get much of that in hell. . .
    You wouldn't believe your eyes Paul, and lots of that is old growth cedar.

Camping 2016 (49).jpg

None in this photo, but there are a lot of really really big logs.
    Last edited by Gib Etheridge; 02-25-2018 at 12:42 PM.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    I prefer a bivy sack. But I am happy enough sleeping in my rain suit - with a bug hood and gloves.
    Good for hiking, but not for a long term base camp.

Honda has me all fixed up...

It would be hours of fun trying to get up into that thing--and when that was accomplished I'd spend the next ten minutes telling myself that I really didn't need to pee, before more good times roll...

Jeff C

IMG_2351.jpg

Rich understands--this is my tent, and my home. No camping required...

Jeff C

You all certainly love your creature comforts. I have a completely different definition of camping. Hiking in the rockies with a pack horse with grub etc. and a pack, three months of solitude although I did see two biologists and a handful of geologists. Canoeing across Quebec with a wanagen (sp) for portaging. Did see a few lumber camps but, more wolves, moose and bear etc.

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    You all certainly love your creature comforts. I have a completely different definition of camping. Hiking in the rockies with a pack horse with grub etc. and a pack, three months of solitude although I did see two biologists and a handful of geologists. Canoeing across Quebec with a wanagen (sp) for portaging. Did see a few lumber camps but, more wolves, moose and bear etc.
    My own bed in my house. I like to sleep.

Jeff C