Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could I cast this in Bronze?

Default Re: Could I cast this in Bronze?

1121.jpg1122.jpg

I don't think I have any pics of the finished mold or part, but you get the idea.
    Chuck Hancock

Very impressive Chuck, I would never have though to mould it that way. Thanks for the lesson !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Thanks Peter, there are so many ways to get something done. Of course the technique I used as an example wouldn't work for Mr. Madison's sample. The flange that attaches to the deck in my case turns outboard, whereas Mr. Madison's turns inboard. There are some tricks you can use to accommodate this and still go the following board route. Making the pattern in multiple pieces connected with removable pins for example. But this approaches the level of time/complexity/expense found in using cores. And frankly, just using one big honking core is the route I'd go if I couldn't get away with reversing the flange on Mr. M's piece. Once you go the core route it frees you to choose your molding/casting orientation and that pays in being able to pick the best position for gating/risering and runners.
    Chuck Hancock

Wow! That is really something! I could be content with the flange turned the way you show, would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Rock View Post
    Thanks Peter, there are so many ways to get something done. Of course the technique I used as an example wouldn't work for Mr. Madison's sample. The flange that attaches to the deck in my case turns outboard, whereas Mr. Madison's turns inboard. There are some tricks you can use to accommodate this and still go the following board route. Making the pattern in multiple pieces connected with removable pins for example. But this approaches the level of time/complexity/expense found in using cores. And frankly, just using one big honking core is the route I'd go if I couldn't get away with reversing the flange on Mr. M's piece. Once you go the core route it frees you to choose your molding/casting orientation and that pays in being able to pick the best position for gating/risering and runners.
    Agreed, a core would be the way to go for me. A core box would be easier to make than that follower.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Following boards!!! Ohboyohboyohboyohboy!

Here I was, lurking on this thread, thinking a simple split pattern would to the trick. But if you can use a following board? Oh yes, that's much more fun.

And no, I don't actually have anything useful to add to the discussion.

Alex

As an alternative to casting or the big wood pile, you could do something like this. All you need is some plate and either the ability to weld bronze or silver solder. This base has a large hole and curved sides just for looks. The small hole forward serves as an attachment for a jackline shackle when using a harness in a seaway.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hzFm1sEXFifdqocv2

There's a certain elegance to that one major.sortudo. I like it.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-