Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A well regulated militia

Default Re: A well regulated militia

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    They have one already called the National Guard. Just so long as they do not let them near any centre of learning.
    'Kent State' come to mind...an Iranian neighbour in the digs, propserous enough to have a TV, drew us out of our rooms as the incident was being televised.

They have one already called the National Guard. Just so long as they do not let them near any centre of learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    'Kent State' come to mind...an Iranian neighbour in the digs, propserous enough to have a TV, drew us out of our rooms as the incident was being televised.
    on the other hand, they were integral to the integration of some schools and universities throughout the deep south, but especially in arkansas, google 'the arkansas nine and the national guard' and 'george wallace and the stand in the schoolhouse door'
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

A not so well regulated militia? Perhaps, a better regulated militia to regulate the existing militia?

My point is missed, but no matter. The whole situation is mind bogglingly grotesque.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    A not so well regulated militia? Perhaps, a better regulated militia to regulate the existing militia?

My point is missed, but no matter. The whole situation is mind bogglingly grotesque.
    There is not a lot in the US that at this moment is not mind bogglingly grotesque. Gandhi on western civilisation comes to mind.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

This is no fun without Phillip, I hope he is feeling better.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    This is no fun without Phillip, I hope he is feeling better.
    You valued Phillip's input to gun debates?
    Remarkable!

speaking of phillip, i believe he attended the same high school as the arkansas nine at about the time they were in school there
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    on the other hand, they were integral to the integration of some schools and universities throughout the deep south, but especially in arkansas, google 'the arkansas nine and the national guard' and 'george wallace and the stand in the schoolhouse door'
    Did they politely request George Wallace to stand aside or shoved the guv off ?

My very first visit to the US was in summer´72.... awaiting me at SFO airport in the early hours of the morning was a Brit, an old salt of a globe-trotter cum radar expert; a captain known to him passed by and said "You may not be aware, but just heard that they shot George Wallace at a rally tonight " .

This incident plus the race riots of the late 60´s made me even more reluctant to step out alone from the Howard Johnson´s Motel in Redwood City !

We seem to conveniently forget the fact the 2nd amendment tells us it is there because of the need to a well regulated militia. We also fail to accept it says 'keep', not own. and it says "arms' not guns.

We also forget that the government was responsible to arm that militia. As well as train it and call it up when needed.

At some point this citizen militia was no longer needed and the 2nd Amendment should have been deemed moot. No one ever talks about the 3rd amendment.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    At some point this citizen militia was no longer needed and the 2nd Amendment should have been deemed moot. No one ever talks about the 3rd amendment.
    There is probably a reason for that.

The Third Amendment seems to have no direct constitutional relevance at present; indeed, not only is it the least litigated amendment in the Bill of Rights, but the Supreme Court has never decided a case on the basis of it.
    "'Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil."

C.S. Lewis

This incident plus the race riots of the late 60´s made me even more reluctant to step out alone from the Howard Johnson´s Motel in Redwood City !
    Race riots? Race riots involve battles between races. I lived in inner-city Detroit during the riot in ‘67. Despite being white, I (and plenty of other poor whites) moved about freely on foot and by car. Most of the rioters were black, but that doesen’t make it a race riot. The NG were the danger.
    Well, Mr. Botard, do you still deny all rhinocerotic evidence?

Gandhi on western civilisation comes to mind.
    +1

New great niece born last week. I already have one of those, a delightful child, and I am already feeling the pressure to go across and check her out. I learned from P G Woodhouse the principal duties of a Great Aunt - to vet prospective partners for suitability, oversee the moral welfare and maintain a stern and commanding demeanour at all times. I have practiced stern and commanding with the cats, but they remain unimpressed.

I suppose I shall have to go. The family lives in a relatively sane part of the country and all the denizens of that unhappy land that I have met over many years have been charming (except my - thankfully - ex brother-in-law, of whom I am sometimes reminded by Sky Blue) But, still. I really, really don't want to go.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith
    We seem to conveniently forget the fact the 2nd amendment tells us it is there because of the need to a well regulated militia. We also fail to accept it says 'keep', not own. and it says "arms' not guns.

We also forget that the government was responsible to arm that militia. As well as train it and call it up when needed.
    Not every American has forgotten those facts. Only the most important people: a majority of justices on the Supreme Court of the United States.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Not every American has forgotten those facts. Only the most important people: a majority of justices on the Supreme Court of the United States.
    Well, SCOTUS justices are supposed to be competent and independent. I use "supposed to be" advisedly.

Americans as a rule are ignorant as fence posts when it comes to the elements of their own world view. As a rule, the most they know is "Second Amendment" and "guns".

On this scant foundation an entire culture has been constructed. Revisionist history, popular mythology, government, politics.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

A Bilge Post in another thread with links well worth following. The 2nd Amendment was intended to help preserve slavery: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...86#post5487886

The real reason the Second Amendment was ratified, and why it says "State" instead of "Country" (the framers knew the difference -- see the 10th Amendment), was to preserve the slave patrol militias in the southern states, which was necessary to get Virginia's vote. Founders Patrick Henry, George Mason and James Madison were totally clear on that... and we all should be too.

In the beginning, there were the militias. In the South, they were also called the "slave patrols," and they were regulated by the states.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 02-25-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

"OK. Fine. So he exaggerated a little on that."

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    There is probably a reason for that.

The Third Amendment seems to have no direct constitutional relevance at present; indeed, not only is it the least litigated amendment in the Bill of Rights, but the Supreme Court has never decided a case on the basis of it.
    I'd say that's because it no longer served it's purpose.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.