Thread: The town without roads

Default The town without roads

This looks acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Default Re: The town without roads

I wonder how they manage when they want to move house?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I was transferring a racing boat from Bergen to Stanvanger once and was surprised to see a substantial bungalow to come around a corner in the Fjord. The fact that it was about 1am and the tug pushing it was absolutely tiny only added to the strangeness of the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post

They use a houseboat.

Jeff

I like it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

At 2 minutes into the video, I love how the fella steps on the rail and the boat is rock solid.

Punts as far as the eye can see.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Beautiful, I shared it with a friend who is married to a Dutch girl and he loved it. I want to go there...

This is a surprise: It is near the spot where we will have our Punterweekend. See my invitation in People&Places. Come and try a Punter yourself, and other trad Dutch boats
    Last edited by FF; 02-23-2018 at 04:04 PM.

When the guy who maintains the fields steps out of his punt, you'll notice he's holding something that looks like a spike, with a line attached. I assume this is to tether the boat to the bank. Decades ago, I went boating on the Norfolk Broads in England, and they technique there was similar. The difference was that instead of a spike, you used a kind of spike with the end bent over into a barbless hook. It is called a "rond hook" if memory serves. No doubt those who live closer and have much more experience on the Broads will be along to confirm or correct me.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    When the guy who maintains the fields steps out of his punt, you'll notice he's holding something that looks like a spike, with a line attached. I assume this is to tether the boat to the bank. Decades ago, I went boating on the Norfolk Broads in England, and they technique there was similar. The difference was that instead of a spike, you used a kind of spike with the end bent over into a barbless hook. It is called a "rond hook" if memory serves. No doubt those who live closer and have much more experience on the Broads will be along to confirm or correct me.
    You are correct, it is a rond anchor.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

That video is naught but misleading tourist bait. It's about as honest as saying Venice, CA is covered in canals. In reality, there appears to be a few short streets of well-appointed homes with inlet canals along Bovenwijde, a small lake. I'd bet most of those homes are either used as rentals or are owned by wealthy people from Amsterdam as their country home.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gi...79!4d6.0779779

Quote Originally Posted by cracked lid View Post
    That video is naught but misleading tourist bait. It's about as honest as saying Venice, CA is covered in canals. In reality, there appears to be a few short streets of well-appointed homes with inlet canals along Bovenwijde, a small lake. I'd bet most of those homes are either used as rentals or are owned by wealthy people from Amsterdam as their country home.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Gi...79!4d6.0779779
    I think your comment is very biased, ok, there was this Dutch actor/ comedian/writer, Rijk de Gooyer, who bought an old farmhouse and invited some friends from Amsterdam to come over, which some of them did, and they had a great time for a while in the local pub, to the chagrin of some local yokels, but then his, I mean Rijk's, house burnt down. After that most went back to Amsterdam. End of story. And there are stil 2 (two) boatyards that turn out Punters. Often in wood. Its true. Period. Come to the Punterweekend to see it for yourself.

It's not biased, I looked on a map. The village is not covered in canals; just a few neighborhoods are. Yes, there are lot of canals around there for boats to utilize, but there are also lots of roads and the vast majority of homes are fronted by asphalt, not water. It's fairly obvious by the distribution of residences and businesses that the majority of travel occurs by roadway, not waterway as implied in the video.

Here are the latitude and longitude of the village: 52 44′ 20″ N, 6 4′ 41″ E

Paste it into google maps and notice that not only are there lots of roads, but that the majority of homes do not have water frontage, and the majority of those that do still have road access to the property line. The tag line of the video is "No roads, no cars, just boats". Applied to the entire village as they are insinuating in the video, it is an outright lie.

In terms of who lives in those homes along the canals, I was speculating as evidenced by the phrase "I'd bet...". but given what I've gleaned from the association between water-lined properties and real estate prices in small towns within short drives from major cities, those homes are going to sell for more money than a native villager is going to be able to afford.

I'm happy to be proven wrong. Can the average person living in the village afford a home along the canals like those shown in the video? Given that real estate listing show an asking price per square foot that is nearly twice as high for homes with waterfront as compared to those without in the area, I'm guessing no, and that they are populated by wealthy people. And again, I'm speculating here, but I'm guessing a lot of those wealthy people living in those homes are not native to the village and it is their second home. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I'm skeptical of videos that claim fairyland-like cities exist, and a small amount of looking around online strongly supports the video being a fairytale.
    Last edited by cracked lid; 03-05-2018 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Ko Panyi, Thailand.

Built on stilts over water. No streets there.

https://youtu.be/i41ankeKddg
    I don't remember much asphalt in Giethoorn, was more interested in the boats . About the promo film, si non e vero, e ben trovato. The filmlink is from a film made in Giethoorn.
    Though the film is spoken in Dutch you might try it for you may know more of the language them you realise. The word 'Yankee' stems from the Dutch names 'Jan' and 'Kees', the most common Dutch names.

I should not call you 'biased' in #14. I apologyse.