X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldad
    • Jan 2008

Re: BUNKY II—Russell R to Peelebr />
    Danged attached thumbnails. Can't seem to get rid of them
    Next day I flipped her over. The method was a come a long at each end of the boat.
    Fortunately I hit the balance point just right. One at the bow eye and one where the
    transom drain will be. She went up and over without any drama.
    P1010011.jpg
    You can see the two come a longs. After the flip I move them out of the way
    Here she is in the air just after turning.
    P1010013.jpg
    The plans call for "canoe" type gunnels. While attractive, I am not building a canoe
    and choose to simple put inwales and move on from there.
    P1010005.jpg
    Inwhales installed last night, will remove clamps later today and fair up any places that need
    the touch of my plane. I'm sure there will be a few places—and more than a few runs to scrape off.
    Last edited by Oldad; 05-06-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Oldad
      • Jan 2008

Transom knees installed, rails rounded over and problem of boarding ladder solved
      with a beautiful Garelick transom ladder. The extreme flare of the sides of Peeler made
      using my over the gunnels ladder a problem, plus there is no room for storing a ladder
      on such a small boat. This new one will be a dream. Permanently installed, flips down and
      extends well below the water line. Can be deployed from in or out of the boat. Great for an unexpected swim. Here is the up position (roughly where it will go)
      P1010004.jpg
      and here it is deployed... now to finish the boat so I can install it.
      P1010002.jpg
      Ha ha, just noticed the cured epoxy on the toes of my shoes.....

Comment

• Garret
        Hills of Vermont
        • Apr 2005

The boatbuilder's version of:

I like the ladder!
        "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Comment

• Oldad
          • Jan 2008

Wholesale Marine $130 and free shipping. All stainless and built like a brick out house.dl
          A bit early, Garrett, but are you going to Mystic again this year?
          BTW, I enjoyed the tape.

Comment

• Garret
            Hills of Vermont
            • Apr 2005

Not sure - though I'd say chances are agin it. If this silly house wasn't taking time, I'd be over working on my boat - which I need to do & probably will be instead of Mystic.

Comment

• Rich Jones
              What boat to build next?
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Oldad
              Wholesale Marine $130 and free shipping. All stainless and built like a brick out house.dl
              A bit early, Garrett, but are you going to Mystic again this year?
              BTW, I enjoyed the tape.
              I might be getting one of those for my plywood powerboat. When I built it 20 years ago, I could re-board from the water by myself. Not so much anymore!
              I haven't been to the boat show in something like ten years. Maybe this year.
              I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
              Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Oldad
                • Jan 2008

I will start a thread on Mystic I guess. Rich, if you are thinking of going it is a good time to make a reservation.
                Yes, when I was much younger I would not hesitate to clamber in over the gunnels... not gonna happen now.

Comment

• Oldad
                  • Jan 2008

Quarter knees are in, nothing fancy
                  P1010001.jpg
                  seats roughed out and scribed to fit
                  P1010002.jpg
                  once cut along scribed lines, it should fit
                  there seems to be just enough room to eliminate this overlap
                  P1010004.jpg
                  (it did)

Comment

• Rich Jones
                    What boat to build next?
                    • Apr 2009

I like the curved seats. Classy!
                    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
                    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• Oldad
                      • Jan 2008

Seats have been scribed and trimmed and now fit beautifully.
                      Built the center console, installed the bow seat and generally seeing some progress.
                      P1010002.jpg
                      P1010005.jpg
                      bow seat (loaded with tools, sorry)
                      P1010003.jpg
                      you will notice I decided to forego the rather fussy
                      breast hook as designed. Not really set up for a bow cleat. The
                      cleat will fit on the inside of the stem.I used the heavy rope
                      in the pic above to help me decide how long the steering cable
                      should be as it laid nicely in place compared to my tape which
                      is stiff and does not follow contours as well.
                      P1010006.jpg
                      and I was able to score a triangular bow chock which will sit
                      directly on top of the stem and is almost exactly the same
                      dimension
                      P1010007.jpg
                      The bow seat is huge so I will divide it with a curved partition, the front half
                      will be an open anchor locker. Curiously the plans make no provision for
                      storage and I am not fond of things underfoot, especially in such a small
                      skiff as the Peeler. I checked with a friend, ex USCG, and asked about
                      putting the running lights on either side of the center console and he
                      thought that might just work.
                      The all around light will be back by the transom as usual.
                      Last edited by Oldad; 05-27-2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

• Breakaway
                        • Mar 2007

Grant,

I enjoy your builds and threads very much.

Some considerations I'd like to mention with reference to your planned sidelights placement. First, if the lights are mounted beside the console, a person standing beside the console may be blocking the light. Second, the all around light on a vessel less then 12 meters needs to be 1 meter above the sidelights--a geometry that may be more difficult to achieve mounted on the console than at the bow ( which I think is lower than than the console). Finally, there may be some vertical, "spill, " from the lights that degrades your night vision.

To be clear, I am not wagging a finger at you, as much as just pointing some things out that you may not have been aware of.

Carry on!

Kevin

EDIT: Link to light regs:

There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Comment

• Oldad
                          • Jan 2008

All good points. Also, side lights are supposed to be forward of the midpoint and the console is just aft of the midpoint so.... time to rethink.

Comment

• Oldad
                            • Jan 2008

I have been working on BUNKY II, but not much to show. Mostly I have been getting our boats ready and in the water. The dinghy, a rescued Cape Dory 10, is tied to the dock and ready to haul us out to FESTIVUS, our 22 foot house boat which will live out at a mooring in Coates Bay, an arm of Mallets Bay in Lake Champlain. Three times I pulled the lower unit off to replace the impeller and three times I put it back together. I did not work. Frustrated, I was about to haul it 25 miles to the nearest Honda dealer when a mechanic friend suggested using my air compressor to blow air back into the pee tube. It WORKED, and saved me a huge amount of time and effort. It is a trick worth knowing. I had checked for a mud dauber nest so it must have been something further removed from the outlet. Anyhoo, now that they are wet, I can get back to the Peeler.

Comment

• MADOC1
                              • Jun 2017

good tip on the blow job. really.

jim

Comment

• Garret
                                Hills of Vermont
                                • Apr 2005

Many years ago I rebuilt the engine in a friend's Chris-Craft. 351W V8. Shelburne Shipyard installed it & I got a call a week later saying "There's something wrong with the engine". I spent hours going through it, checking cam timing, regular timing, compression, you name it - everything checked out fine. I asked the (no longer working there & probably still arrogant) mechanic if he was sure that there was no exhaust blockage. "Of course I am! I'm a certified Mercuiser mechanic.". I checked more stuff, still nothing. It'd idle fine, but no power at all. My friend was starting to get PO'd & the mechanic had mostly convinced him that it was my fault. Luckily, the mechanic went on vacation for a week & I got to talk to another mechanic at the shipyard. "Sure does feel like an exhaust blockage, doesn't it?" He said. I agreed & he pulled the bellows, etc. & found that there was a mouse nest in there holding the backflow flap on the exhaust closed.

He pulled the nest out, put it back together & my friend & I took it for a test spin. As we idled away from the dock, driving from the flybridge, he started to give it full acceleration. I told him to sit down first & he told me he knew the boat "didn't have any balls" & nailed it. Luckily he was able to grab the seat back before he went off the back of the flybridge & I pulled back the throttle. He was rather surprised....

I gave the Shipyard a bill for my time & was told that "I should have insisted he check the exhaust". Sheesh. Anyway - blockages suck.

Comment

Working...