Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Default Re: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Grant,

I enjoy your builds and threads very much.

Some considerations I'd like to mention with reference to your planned sidelights placement. First, if the lights are mounted beside the console, a person standing beside the console may be blocking the light. Second, the all around light on a vessel less then 12 meters needs to be 1 meter above the sidelights--a geometry that may be more difficult to achieve mounted on the console than at the bow ( which I think is lower than than the console). Finally, there may be some vertical, "spill, " from the lights that degrades your night vision.

To be clear, I am not wagging a finger at you, as much as just pointing some things out that you may not have been aware of.

Carry on!

Kevin

EDIT: Link to light regs:
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id....1.84&rgn=div5
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=annex_1Intl
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

All good points. Also, side lights are supposed to be forward of the midpoint and the console is just aft of the midpoint so.... time to rethink.

I have been working on BUNKY II, but not much to show. Mostly I have been getting our boats ready and in the water. The dinghy, a rescued Cape Dory 10, is tied to the dock and ready to haul us out to FESTIVUS, our 22 foot house boat which will live out at a mooring in Coates Bay, an arm of Mallets Bay in Lake Champlain. Three times I pulled the lower unit off to replace the impeller and three times I put it back together. I did not work. Frustrated, I was about to haul it 25 miles to the nearest Honda dealer when a mechanic friend suggested using my air compressor to blow air back into the pee tube. It WORKED, and saved me a huge amount of time and effort. It is a trick worth knowing. I had checked for a mud dauber nest so it must have been something further removed from the outlet. Anyhoo, now that they are wet, I can get back to the Peeler.

good tip on the blow job. really.

jim

Many years ago I rebuilt the engine in a friend's Chris-Craft. 351W V8. Shelburne Shipyard installed it & I got a call a week later saying "There's something wrong with the engine". I spent hours going through it, checking cam timing, regular timing, compression, you name it - everything checked out fine. I asked the (no longer working there & probably still arrogant) mechanic if he was sure that there was no exhaust blockage. "Of course I am! I'm a certified Mercuiser mechanic.". I checked more stuff, still nothing. It'd idle fine, but no power at all. My friend was starting to get PO'd & the mechanic had mostly convinced him that it was my fault. Luckily, the mechanic went on vacation for a week & I got to talk to another mechanic at the shipyard. "Sure does feel like an exhaust blockage, doesn't it?" He said. I agreed & he pulled the bellows, etc. & found that there was a mouse nest in there holding the backflow flap on the exhaust closed.

He pulled the nest out, put it back together & my friend & I took it for a test spin. As we idled away from the dock, driving from the flybridge, he started to give it full acceleration. I told him to sit down first & he told me he knew the boat "didn't have any balls" & nailed it. Luckily he was able to grab the seat back before he went off the back of the flybridge & I pulled back the throttle. He was rather surprised....

I gave the Shipyard a bill for my time & was told that "I should have insisted he check the exhaust". Sheesh. Anyway - blockages suck.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A bit of progress on the project. Fore deck installed, glued in place, filletted, taped and sealed with epoxy inside and out.
    The seat is huge and begs to be used in a more functional way, so I will divide it and make the fore part an anchor locker.
    P1010012.jpg
    The "partition" is only a rough template for the final one. It will be topped with the same spruce
    material as the gunnels and will hopefully make a pleasing line as it curves around. There will be
    scuppers at each corner of the divider to allow any drainage from a wet rode.
    I have built the center console. The front portion is to the plans but the aft side is much reduced.
    I was concerned about fitting the steering into the smaller space, but a trial showed it fit easily.
    P1010013.jpg
    Here is the aft side.
    P1010014.jpg
    Another change I made was to give in and fill the cockpit seats with foam board
    and will permanently seal them up per the plans. This created a problem—two actually.
    Here is the foam.
    P1010019.jpg
    The problems were that now I would need to install one half of the mounting brackets for the transom
    boarding ladder and now I would need to find another use for the hatches I had purchased and now would
    not need.
    P1010007.jpg
    I will have some storage though in the bow. Originally that area under the seat was one open area to be filled
    with foam board. I added another bulkhead, dividing it into two spaces. I will put a hatch on the face of the one
    facing the cockpit and access the forward one with a deck plate which will be in the anchor locker.

Looks fantastic, you have me wanting to build one now.....