Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234 LastLast

Thread: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Default Re: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Grant,

I enjoy your builds and threads very much.

Some considerations I'd like to mention with reference to your planned sidelights placement. First, if the lights are mounted beside the console, a person standing beside the console may be blocking the light. Second, the all around light on a vessel less then 12 meters needs to be 1 meter above the sidelights--a geometry that may be more difficult to achieve mounted on the console than at the bow ( which I think is lower than than the console). Finally, there may be some vertical, "spill, " from the lights that degrades your night vision.

To be clear, I am not wagging a finger at you, as much as just pointing some things out that you may not have been aware of.

Carry on!

Kevin

EDIT: Link to light regs:
    https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id....1.84&rgn=div5
    https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=annex_1Intl
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

All good points. Also, side lights are supposed to be forward of the midpoint and the console is just aft of the midpoint so.... time to rethink.

I have been working on BUNKY II, but not much to show. Mostly I have been getting our boats ready and in the water. The dinghy, a rescued Cape Dory 10, is tied to the dock and ready to haul us out to FESTIVUS, our 22 foot house boat which will live out at a mooring in Coates Bay, an arm of Mallets Bay in Lake Champlain. Three times I pulled the lower unit off to replace the impeller and three times I put it back together. I did not work. Frustrated, I was about to haul it 25 miles to the nearest Honda dealer when a mechanic friend suggested using my air compressor to blow air back into the pee tube. It WORKED, and saved me a huge amount of time and effort. It is a trick worth knowing. I had checked for a mud dauber nest so it must have been something further removed from the outlet. Anyhoo, now that they are wet, I can get back to the Peeler.

good tip on the blow job. really.

jim

Many years ago I rebuilt the engine in a friend's Chris-Craft. 351W V8. Shelburne Shipyard installed it & I got a call a week later saying "There's something wrong with the engine". I spent hours going through it, checking cam timing, regular timing, compression, you name it - everything checked out fine. I asked the (no longer working there & probably still arrogant) mechanic if he was sure that there was no exhaust blockage. "Of course I am! I'm a certified Mercuiser mechanic.". I checked more stuff, still nothing. It'd idle fine, but no power at all. My friend was starting to get PO'd & the mechanic had mostly convinced him that it was my fault. Luckily, the mechanic went on vacation for a week & I got to talk to another mechanic at the shipyard. "Sure does feel like an exhaust blockage, doesn't it?" He said. I agreed & he pulled the bellows, etc. & found that there was a mouse nest in there holding the backflow flap on the exhaust closed.

He pulled the nest out, put it back together & my friend & I took it for a test spin. As we idled away from the dock, driving from the flybridge, he started to give it full acceleration. I told him to sit down first & he told me he knew the boat "didn't have any balls" & nailed it. Luckily he was able to grab the seat back before he went off the back of the flybridge & I pulled back the throttle. He was rather surprised....

I gave the Shipyard a bill for my time & was told that "I should have insisted he check the exhaust". Sheesh. Anyway - blockages suck.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

A bit of progress on the project. Fore deck installed, glued in place, filletted, taped and sealed with epoxy inside and out.
    The seat is huge and begs to be used in a more functional way, so I will divide it and make the fore part an anchor locker.
    P1010012.jpg
    The "partition" is only a rough template for the final one. It will be topped with the same spruce
    material as the gunnels and will hopefully make a pleasing line as it curves around. There will be
    scuppers at each corner of the divider to allow any drainage from a wet rode.
    I have built the center console. The front portion is to the plans but the aft side is much reduced.
    I was concerned about fitting the steering into the smaller space, but a trial showed it fit easily.
    P1010013.jpg
    Here is the aft side.
    P1010014.jpg
    Another change I made was to give in and fill the cockpit seats with foam board
    and will permanently seal them up per the plans. This created a problem—two actually.
    Here is the foam.
    P1010019.jpg
    The problems were that now I would need to install one half of the mounting brackets for the transom
    boarding ladder and now I would need to find another use for the hatches I had purchased and now would
    not need.
    P1010007.jpg
    I will have some storage though in the bow. Originally that area under the seat was one open area to be filled
    with foam board. I added another bulkhead, dividing it into two spaces. I will put a hatch on the face of the one
    facing the cockpit and access the forward one with a deck plate which will be in the anchor locker.

Looks fantastic, you have me wanting to build one now.....

Finally back at work on BUNKY II. Two coats of paint on the outside of the hull
    and more done on the center console.
    At first not so sure about the color but is starting to grow on me. SWMBO is
    starting to like it too. Hey, it is just paint and can easily be painted over.
    P1010001.jpg
    Taped the corners, glued on a stiffener for the helm,
    and coated most with neat epoxy. I will finish coating the rest when I
    tape it into the boat. I also need to cut in a door somewhere
    under the wheel, just not sure how big to make it. Need it to
    access the battery, etc.
    P1010002.jpg
    I am really getting fired up. Went to visit the motor on Friday,
    still sitting in the showroom with a sold sign. and my name
    on it as well.
    While there I ordered the controls and cables.

Back at work after looking at all the CL boats Grant? I bet it's some kind of hot in the boat shed today!

What are you doing for a motor & where are you buying it?

I bought the motor (15hp merc tilt and trim long shaft) from the merc dealer on Industrial Ave.
    It was not too bad in the shop. It was decent first thing in the morning and I kept it closed up
    all day. Much cooler than outside and of course, it kept me out of the sun.

Excellent! I was in the garage much of the day working on posts/cable railing installation for our front deck. I was drenched.

Plugging away despite the heat.Spruce trim laminated onto the seatback
    P1010003.jpg
    Epoxied doublers on all of the seat leading edges
    P1010008.jpg
    epoxied and taped the center console in place and rounded off the seat back trim
    P1010017.jpg
    P1010014.jpg

High build primer applied to inside of hull. Made a big mistake and mixed too much
    denying myself the opportunity to apply a second coat. Hate to waste material.
    P1010019.jpg
    Ah, sorry, this is the only pic showing the primer. The finish coat is almost the exact same color.
    If it was not so dang hot in the shop I would be painting right now.
    What the pic really shows is the neat triangular bow chock.
    I have also been able to get three coats of paint on the gunnels and sheer strake.

One problem I cannot seem to fix is how to install the hatch for the compartment
    under the bow seat Of course I should have cut the hole before installing that bulkhead
    but I did not have the hatch at the time. I will need to be a contortionist to get in and undebr /> the bow seat especially with the console in place. Maybe I can teach SWMBO to use the sabre saw.
    .P1010013.jpg
    One nice thing about this pic is it shows how I separated the bow seat into an anchor locker
    and seat. There is ample room on the seat for two and plenty of room for rode and anchor
    up forward. There will be a vertically mounted bow cleat on the stem.
    Last edited by Oldad; 07-17-2018 at 01:35 PM.

looking good. maybe make a pattern and screw it to the bulkhead and the use a router to cut it out?

jim

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    looking good. maybe make a pattern and screw it to the bulkhead and the use a router to cut it out?

jim
    It would work if I could get in there... I have a friend, quite a bit smaller and much younger and therefore limber.... i will try to convince him to try.

yes, younger and more limber. i distantly remember.

jim

Talk about timing, friend Thom just returned from Florida, and he is just the right size for the job... knows how to use tools too.

I will need to be a contortionist to get in and undebr /> the bow seat especially with the console in place. Maybe I can teach SWMBO to use the sabre saw.
    Can you invert the boat upside down--a sling bow and stern? Then you could stand in the bow and cut your hole.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Can you invert the boat upside down--a sling bow and stern? Then you could stand in the bow and cut your hole.

Kevin
    Excellent idea. I have a come a long at each end that I have used to flip the boat as needed, however, now that the center console is in it might be a bit of a trial to flip it, but worth considering.
    Now I will give Thom a chance to see what he can do.

A bit more progress. Got some paint on the inside, Benny Moore porch and patio satin.
    P1010001.jpg
    This one shows the pry out bow deck plate in the anchor locker.
    P1010005.jpg
    Installed steering cable, wheel and set helm seat in place (loose)
    so I can find the best place for it for standing and sitting operation.
    P1010002.jpg
    Last edited by Oldad; 07-21-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Shifter cables and electrics run along starboard side as per the plans
    I almost changed the design so I could have a small side deck under
    which to hide wires and cables but decided to go with the plans.
    P1010007.jpg
    Shifter on the side of the console, ugly wires/cables etc. in plain
    sight as per plans. Once all is tidied up and zip tied, motor installed
    and we are out on the water it will not matter. I guess.
    P1010010.jpg
    I am liking the red more and more as time goes on. Can't wait to get it outside
    so I can stand back and admire the classic sheer. The white should make it stand out.
    P1010009.jpg
    The last thing we did today, Bunky and I, was to slide the trailer (not shown)
    under the boat and she seems to fit pretty well.
    Did I mention earlier that four of us lifted the boat to guess the weight
    and concluded she was about 250 to 300 pounds.
    Last edited by Oldad; 07-22-2018 at 01:45 PM.

Sorry, I dont know what happened to my post #02. I will try another pic
    P1010008.jpg

OUT OF THE SHOP AND INTO THE SUN...
    used a comalong to let the boat and
    trailer down the apron. Too steep to do by hand.
    P1010001.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    And now the motor has been installed
    P1010005.jpg

Fantastic! You've been a busy boy Grant!

Great looking boat!

dang, lookin good! that my kind of lil boat. I've kind of avoided this thread since your intentions to build the Russell R didn't pan out... but the alternative turned out great! congrats.

Any launch date yet? My 18 year old 15hp Merc runs fine, but only on ethenol-free gas. The boat looks great and the red paint job fits it perfectly.
    The stern ladder is a great idea. I might just slap one of those on my boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Any launch date yet? My 18 year old 15hp Merc runs fine, but only on ethenol-free gas. The boat looks great and the red paint job fits it perfectly.
    The stern ladder is a great idea. I might just slap one of those on my boat.
    Luckily, Grant & I have a gas station that sells ethanol free premium fairly close by.

Launch date might be postponed. My wife, aka BUNKY, has been called back to Japan due to her mother's ill health. Hopefully just for a couple of weeks. That will give me time to do a few finishing touches and get all of the paperwork done. Today I received the swing away kit for the draw bar which I need to get the garage door closed. That and the helm seat will kill a couple of days.
    Thanks for the kind words, cant wait to get her in the watah.
    PS just put 6 gallons of non ethanol in the tank and my test barrel is in place under the lower unit. I plan to run her a bit before launch so I am comfortable with starting the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by telenorth View Post
    dang, lookin good! that my kind of lil boat. I've kind of avoided this thread since your intentions to build the Russell R didn't pan out... but the alternative turned out great! congrats.
    I am glad you came back for a look. I never could have finished the Russel R as much as I wanted to. Would have been a nightmare in my tiny shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    I am glad you came back for a look. I never could have finished the Russel R as much as I wanted to. Would have been a nightmare in my tiny shop.
    This boat will be a delight to pop on and off the trailer for a quick spin around the lake!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

really fine looking and great job grant. hope your mil will be ok. still thinking about an access port under the front seat?

jim

Here is a pic of several friends who, at one time or another have lent a hand when my two were not sufficient. That's me in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by MADOC1 View Post
    really fine looking and great job grant. hope your mil will be ok. still thinking about an access port under the front seat?

jim
    Thanks for the kind words. Yes, sooner or later I will get that hatch in place.