Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Default BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

If you have seen my Russell R. build thread or the one where I confessed that my 84 year old body was not up to the task and my 22' 5" shop was too small for a 22' boat you will be all caught up and ready for the next installment. Having the Russell R hull (it was a bare hull, assembled on molds, joined and glassed) now in four pieces, I was ready to move on to reducing the mess to a size that would be manageable. Here are some pics to bring you up to date. First the hull.
    P1010005.jpg
    Then the hull and surgical instrument.
    P1010006.jpg
    My skill saw with a fence attached allowed me to make a neat cut at the chine separating bottom from sides. I did the transom and bow cuts freehand.
    Next is a pic of some of the forms, the bottom and one of the sides leaning up against my bench.
    P1010001.jpg
    I got the bottom up on a temporary work table and cut off the portion of the bottom I would not need for the Peeler, peeking out from behind it is the transom.
    P1010003.jpg
    The plans for the Peeler (by CLC) are drawn full size. This is new to me as was the lofting I needed to do for the Russell R. Here is the sheet that has one half the bottom and some other misc. parts.
    P1010002.jpg
    I snapped a chalk line down the center of what was left of Russell's bottom and taped the plan in place. There was no room to spare as the beam of each boat is very similar even tho Peeler is almost 7 feet shorter. The method recommended for transferring lines from plans to wood is to mark with an awl about every 1 1/2 inch and then connect the dots. When I have finished with this side I will flip the plan, line it up with the chalk line and repeat on the other side. After that the skill saw comes out again, cuts outside the line and we finish up with a nice sharp plane.

Very good, I'd still be having reservations as I was plunging in with circular saw.

The peeler is a nice little boat, looking forward to following along.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Default Re: BUNKY II由ussell R to Peeler

Quote Originally Posted by master of nun View Post
    Very good, I'd still be having reservations as I was plunging in with circular saw.

Me too. You're a braver man than I Oldad.

Great to see the dismantled boat resurrected into another vessel. So many such projects become abandoned in a back yard, left to rot.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by master of nun View Post

Sometimes a man's just gotta do what a man's gotta do... Not as scary as it sounds and so happy that the lines of both boats bottoms seem to flow together. Just before the cold drove me back inside I was able to connect the dots. Not nearly as satisfying as tracing around a batten to draw a fair curve, but those are the way the plans are writ. Tomorrow the skilsaw goes back into action.

Very cool project!....I've seen lot's of items repurposed, but never a half finished boat hull...nice job.

interesting project and glad you came up with a solution to your problems. sure will be watching.

jim

Day three (?) into BUNKY II and we are making progress. Dots all connected lines drawn and waste cut away.
    P1010001.jpg
    After trimming the waste it was necessary to use the bench plane to bring it to the lines.
    That worked well until the plane began to balk at taking off an eighth and I dragged out Mr. Power Plane to finish it.
    I tried to split the divots made by the awl.
    P1010005.jpg
    The pile of Russell removed from Peeler grows larger.
    P1010003.jpg
    Next I need to put a layer of additional ply onto the bottom. The plans call for a 3/4 inch bottom and what you see is only half inch.
    I plan to double it with half inch pieces rather than 1/4 for a one inch thick bottom rather than 3/4. I do not want to see any oil canning
    which can happen with flat bottomed boats. I guess if I am going to add weight to the boat, the bottom is the place to put it.

The pile of hopefully usable scrap from Russell grows larger as each new piece of Peeler gets trimmed to size.
    Today I cut both port and stbd sides using the full size patterns that came with the plans. Going around the plan
    using an awl and then connecting the "dots" goes faster than it sounds.
    The manual that comes with the plans suggests cutting outside the line and then using a plane to get to the line.
    I did that with the bottom and wondered why after using the same skilsaw for at least 40 years I needed to be
    that cautious? I cut the sides "to the line" without any problems.
    P1010001.jpg
    I took my time and they are done. I have been using the bottom as a workbench and have been careful to put scraps of 2 bys
    underneath to make sure I do not cut what i don't want to cut.
    I need to finish doubling up the bottom. Plans call for a 3/4" bottom, I am using two layers of 1/2". My boat will
    be heavier. I plan to cut every thing before I do any glue ups so I wont waste any firewood. It has been unseasonably warm so I have been able to
    work in the cold shop with no problem. Wishing I had more energy, but like my materials, it is what it is.
    Last edited by Oldad; 04-10-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Warm and pleasant here today in Vermont. Unlike any February I can remember, but I do know this: we always pay for a
    good day in winter with a helluva snowstorm later towards spring.
    More work on the Peeler today. The plans call for an inch and a half thick transom, made up from two pieces of three quarter.
    Since I only have half inch, I am making it in three layers.The plans call for an inner and outer layer, so, after I finished doubling the
    thickness of the bottom, I found the print with the inner transom, laid that out and then did the outer transom. I will make two of
    the outer transom
    Here is a shot of the bottom doubled up. I will not do any gluing until everything is cut and ready.
    .P1010001.jpg
    This what the print looks like. I am still not a fan of doing dot to dot, but it seems to work.
    P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    I remember 50 years ago connecting the dots with my little girl to see a picture appear after we had finished.
    This is not as much fun, but in the end I have a picture of a transom. Not too bad.
    P1010004.jpg

Looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldad View Post
    If you have seen my Russell R. build thread or the one where I confessed that my 84 year old body was not up to the task and my 22' 5" shop was too small for a 22' boat you will be all caught up and ready for the next installment.
    A couple of quotes come to mind.

"To thine own self be true."

and:

"If you've gone up a blind alley, the quickest way forward is to go back."

I really respect your self knowledge and the courage you display in cutting your losses and converting the remains of one now-obsolete project into progress toward a newly identified goal.

Good on you, Dad!

Thanks Chris and Rich. I was actually feeling pretty bad about giving up on the Russell R when
    I first made the decision, but as the work on the new boat progresses I know I made the right choice.
    I have to go to a meeting this morning but am counting the hours until I can get back in the shop. I had
    lost that enthusiasm and am glad to have it back.

Looking good. Thanks for sharing!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Cut out the three layers of the transom. I have pretty much decided that I do not like full size paper plans, especially the ones that show one half of the part. I would much prefer a drawing with a baseline and offsets that you can lay out on the work and draw out with a batten, but not the case with CLC. Extreme care must be taken when flipping the plans to do the other half. My transom came out ok, and stitch and glue can be very forgiving but still not a big fan.
    I had to stop work to run to Lowes to get a trim bit for my router. When I applied the second layer of 1/2 inch ply on the bottom I left it just proud so I could take the router and trim off an eighth or so. Pica tomorrow. Making progress. Record warmth today in my neck of the woods. Don't think it will last.

Doubled layer of 1/2 inch ply all trimmed and ready for glue up.
    P1010004.jpg
    and the transom is ready as well. The transom is in three layers, the inner layer is in two pieces but I
    am sure once it is epoxied and glassed it will all be one solid piece.
    P1010005.jpg
    I plan to post some pics from the builder's manual that came with the plans because I am surprised at the
    large gaps that they call for. Seems like it could be built just a bit tighter, but I guess S&G likes gaps.

Gaps might be there to let you adjust things as you tighten up the wires holding everything together.
    I built on S&G boat, but it was so long ago, I forget all the details. Whatever I did worked, because it's still floating after 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Gaps might be there to let you adjust things as you tighten up the wires holding everything together.
    I built on S&G boat, but it was so long ago, I forget all the details. Whatever I did worked, because it's still floating after 20 years.
    Quite right, Rich, but two of these gaps seem excessive. I have not started the assembly yet, but the space, I really cannot call it a gap is more than 1/4 inch. I'm sure it will all work out. This will be my fourth or fifth S&G including one self designed kayak and I have never seen something like this. The manual suggests a pastry bag filled with thickened epoxy. I am started to get excited as I get more pieces ready to begin the assembly. I will post some pics from the manual

All three layers of the transom glued up. Fun trying to align three layers that are held together only with what acts like layers of grease. I was prepared though and had drilled a pair of reference holes on either corner of the transom and after putting it together it was easy to align by dropping a nail into the holes and then clamp heck out of it. Lots of thickened epoxy oozing out but that will be easy to take care of. Also glued half of the bottom in place before I ran out of steam and came in for the day. Tomorrow is another day! Pics after I am finished with the glue up.

Progress, progress, progress. Bottom doubled up and glued at last, transom ready to be scraped of epoxy nerds and sanded to be ready for installation
    Tomorrow will be time to clean the shop and let the epoxy cure. Progress....

Back at it today, removed clamps and screws from transom and front half of the bottom,
    scraped away errant bits of epoxy and did a bit of trimming on the transom.
    P1010002.jpg
    The top edge of the transom needs to be sanded and shaped a bit but will
    wait until it is installed. The plans call for the cutout to be 20 inches which leaves
    me wondering what will happen when I add the thickness of the bottom?
    Will I have to trim the height to get the motor in the right place. Time will tell.

Back at it today, removed clamps and screws from transom and front half of the bottom,
    scraped away errant bits of epoxy and did a bit of trimming on the transom.
    P1010002.jpg
    The top edge of the transom needs to be sanded and shaped a bit but will
    wait until it is installed. The plans call for the cutout to be 20 inches which leaves
    me wondering what will happen when I add the thickness of the bottom?
    Will I have to trim the height to get the motor in the right place. Time will tell.
    I would think the designer allowed for that. I believe the website says this design calls for a long shaft engine?

I would think the designer allowed for that. I believe the website says this design calls for a long shaft engine?
    Yes, 20" shaft, but as it is I will be at 21 inches once I add the bottom, that might put the motor a bit high. I wont trim anything until I get the motor.
    I will check but I think the cav plate is supposed to be about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the boat.
    Can't wait to start putting her together.

I will check but I think the cav plate is supposed to be about 1/2 inch below the bottom of the boat.
    Actually, 1/2 -inch above is the nominal measurement.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Yes, 20" shaft, but as it is I will be at 21 inches once I add the bottom, that might put the motor a bit high. I wont trim anything until I get the motor.
    Can't wait to start putting her together.
    The owner's manual for my Merc 15hp four stroke short shaft says the cav plate should be at least 1" below the bottom of the transom.
    But, like you say, it would be best to get the motor, mount it on the boat and see how things look. Easy enough to cut out a bit more of the transom cutout.

Bottom all doubled up and ready for the next step which is to route a 3/8th kerf around the sides from transom to bow, but not across the transom.
    The side are to be held in place by wire to the bottom, then "spot welded" together. Looks pretty crude in the picture leaving a lot of the bottom
    to be ground away before the joint can be taped from the outside. Here is a pic from the 160page manual that comes with the plans.
    P1010001.jpg
    BTW, I was able to transform the false transom from Russell into the forward bulkhead in Peeler. Nice that I am able to reuse so much.

The owner's manual for my Merc 15hp four stroke short shaft says the cav plate should be at least 1" below the bottom of the transom.
    But, like you say, it would be best to get the motor, mount it on the boat and see how things look. Easy enough to cut out a bit more of the transom cutout.
    Here is an article concerning cav height explaining the reason for choosing different settings.
    http://www.boats.com/how-to/the-outb.../#.Wp2EjaWp36c

Here is an article concerning cav height explaining the reason for choosing different settings.
    http://www.boats.com/how-to/the-outb.../#.Wp2EjaWp36c
    Thanks for that link. I'll be fooling around with my engine height as soon as the water in the lake isn't so hard!

Rabbit routed to receive the sides.No rabbit needed for transom as it is to sit on top of bottom.
    Will be wonderful if it all comes together.
    Still have to drill holes in sides and bottom to feed the wire ties.
    P1010002.jpg
    The full size paper plans are getting a bit ragged, but guess good enough to layout the holes.

Moving forward on Peeler (BUNKY II). All bits and pieces ready for assembly on the newly glassed interior of the bottom.
    P1010002.jpg
    Once the epoxy set up nicely it was time to trim the excess—not as easy as if I had used the 6oz. called for in the plans
    instead I used 12 oz. biax which is what I had on hand for the Russell R. The bottom should be pretty much bullett proof.
    P1010004.jpg
    The biaxial cloth was just the width of the bottom at the widest point.
    Now there is a nice clean rabbit on which to place the side planks. Of course
    all of the previously drilled holes for the wire ties are now covered over with
    glass and need to be redrilled. No biggy.
    BTW—we got about 6 to 8 inches of new snow last night. Much less than other
    areas of the state.

You won't have to worry about beaching that boat!

Two helpers coming tomorrow to help install the side panels. They are much too floppy and ungainly to install by myself. Hoping all goes well.
    Pictures to follow in any case. It should begin to look like a boat.

Success. Side panels wired in place and ready for some tack welding.
    First I installed two of the bulkheads to help align the sides.
    P1010001.jpg
    Then the panels were put in place and wired. The first few wires were a challenge but then
    we got a good flow going and the entire process took less than one hour. This is Dan.
    P1010002.jpg
    The bow went together with the help of extra pairs of hands . This is, left to right, me, Eb, and Dan.
    P1010009.jpg
    In case you wonder what old looks like, here is a picture.
    P1010004.jpg
    We had some laughs and everybody had to take pictures.
    P1010003.jpg
    Tomorrow I will begin the spot welding (with epoxy) remove the wire ties
    and then fillet and tape the inside of the hull.
    Last edited by Oldad; 03-15-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Almost forgot, here is a pic of Bunky standing next to BUNKY II
    P1010013.jpg

Nice pictures! Thanks for sharing and great progress.

Kevin