Thread: Woodworking Show of Texas

Default Woodworking Show of Texas

I'd first like to say that I did not know such things as woodworking shows existed. It never occurred to me.

Now that I can see having some free time to do funner stuff, and since I am planning on getting some new/more/better equipment, I googled and found this:

https://www.woodworkingshowoftexas.com/

Looks reasonable convenient and timed right. Is this one any good? Are there other big woodworking events to know about?

As always, thanks in advance.

Tom

Default Re: Woodworking Show of Texas

I remember my very first woodworking show.
    1985, Jacksonville Florida, Norm Abram was the "Host Craftsman"
    and the next year, his sidekicks, Steve Thomas and Tom Silva also shared their wisdom.
    it was well worth the $10 entrance fee.
    [now, you can tape all their shows for free ~ and basically obtain the same information].
    but to walk around and see all the tools and gadgets and talk with the vendors is always a hoot.
    if you can put it in your schedule, it will be a very fun and rewarding adventure.
    highly recommended for any skill level !!!!

We had a woodworking show come to Maine about 15 years ago. I enjoyed going but I guess it wasn’t well attended, they never came back.

Some of these shows are aimed at commercial users. Lots of CNC's, egde banders and other automated equipment. Still gun to see though.

NavyDog - you have a point - but still fun to attend something different with the family.

I am a retired sign maker and the first "sign shows" of the '80s were
    tailored towards the "Old School" sign painters and fabricators.
    then when the electronics and CNC boom hit - the shows are now
    saturated with commercial electronic LED message and billboard companies.
    CNC carving machines out the ying-yang. a very heavy population of Asian exhibitors.
    for the Old School Craftsmen that balk at change, the sign shows are not fun anymore.

any outdoors shows such as fishing, boating, camping, woodworking, etc always has my support.

These people hold woodworking shows in many parts of the country. http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

Three hour drive to get there. Somewhat disappointing for a city like Houston.

Vendors did not seem well suited to sales. . Few had any energy. Only the tracksaw guy really working the crowd. Got to see a sawstop job site model. Valid criticisms aside, it is pretty handy looking. And folds down in a snap. I'll probably pick one up in the fall.

Lots off cnc type gadgets behind plexiglass. And some good lathes and carving vendors.

Interestingly, no dust collection anywhere as far as I could see on the demos.