Thread: last post

Default last post

I'd planned for something better, but things just aren't on my side. I stole this pic of my Sonja from the Racine acbs show. Peoples choice winner. the thousands of hours it took to bring it back from a graveyard were worth it. But I and the wife had cruising plans with her. All the work gave us a new boat. She's special, 1940 + 22 square great lakes champion.

If I'd known who the buyer was, I wouldn't have sold. imho jerk.

I've enjoyed sharing the journey with you, but the stroke just isn't going to give me back my eyes. Sail on friends.

Paul Pless-- call me.through PM.

Default Re: last post

Absolutely beautiful boat Rich.A huge credit to you and even if the current owner isn't up to your standards the work you did should give the boat a long enough life to land a suitably discerning custodian.All the best for your future.

She's beautiful. Sorry you are not happy with the new owner, and of course sorry about your stroke and eyesight. Best wishes.

Brilliant job Rich. Very sorry about your sight. I hope that you have friends who will get you out in a little wind and spray.

Thirty or so years ago I was promoting 'Able Sail' with boats and sailing skills adapted to almost any possible physical condition. Most were physical - para- and quadraplegic people for whom a little Freedom with counterweighted seats for at least a little mobility was just the thing, adaptations for various amputees, some adult thalidomide survivors. All of our skippers had some challenge. (Shake-a-leg is one of the organizations in the US that have now decades of improvement on what we had in the eighties.)

One crowd favorite was a blind sailor. Leaving the dock, he'd follow the sound of a companion boat sailed by "One Arm Mike", a triple amputee. For the landing - all under sail, I'd vector him in by voice. We had the police boat keeping to gently keep other traffic clear. So anyway, one young couple and their mutual seeing eye dog got aboard for a sail. After a bit they mentioned that they'd enjoy a description of what they were going past. At that, the blind sailor told them that their dog was the only one who could see anything.

Hope you're able to afloat with good friends.

What a beauty! Nice work.

Sorry about your troubles. Hang in there. Hope you can visit later. Lots of adaptive tech these days.

Damn on all counts. Mostly your troubles - but also on the boat.

Please stop back in if you can - you'll be missed.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Rich, I chatted with the new owner of your boat. I can't remember if it was this forum,or if it was by private message. I was inquiring after yhou. My impression was that he was a thoroughly nice guy, who cared about you.

I'm sure there are things that I don't know about, and I doubt he's looking after the boat the way you would, but he's her caretaker now.

I'd say unless he's done something egregious, give him another chance

Hi Rich. I saw your name on an old post on the bumped 12 Metre thread. I see you recently checked in and was wondering how you were doing.

Take care, sir. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Best wishes, Rich
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

An achingly beautiful boat Rich. A legacy.

All our best wishes to you and yours Rich.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Terribly sorry for your loss.
    FWIW, My eyesight just got a bit better from looking the photo of your old boat.
    bruce

Beautiful boat! Best wishes Rich.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.