Thread: Bubbles in Paint

Default Bubbles in Paint

I'm painting my boat with Interlux Brightsides and I keep getting small bubbles. I thinned it with the recommended thinner, Interlux 333. It was about 55 F in the garage where I was painting. The surface was sanded Brightsides. I painted using a Purdy natural bristle brush. Does anyone have any hints to prevent this?

On a related topic does anyone know how to search with ANDed terms? I tried searching for paint and bubbles but it returned paint OR bubbles.

Thanks.

Default Re: Bubbles in Paint

Search here is pretty useless Just use google and the site comes up with the topic searched... don't even have to write wooden boat forum in the search.

seems cold for painting.. and if the temp is rising as you paint, you could get bubbles. you painting over paint or new primed wood?
    Denise, Bristol PA, Oday30, Anchor Yacht Club, On tidal Delaware River. my current project; http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...0-Ducker-Resto

As far as searching goes, I've had the best luck with prefacing a google search with "woodenboat forum" like: "woodenboat forum + paint + bubbles" which gave me a bunch of returns.

More thinner...Sometimes I have to exceed Interlux's max % to get best results...and I have to continually add thinner as I paint. Roll and tip THIN coats. If you are only using a brush and no roller you have to brush from gunnel to chine. Weird but tipping later to remove bubbles works better vertical than horizontal concerning brush marks. Mineral spirits instead of 333. Those pin bubbles happen but are easily tipped away as long as the coat is thin and paint is thinned to meet conditions. Here in Fl that means 80F+ temps, 90%+ humidity and lots of thinner. Last time I was in Sacramento the humidity was something like 40% with 112F temp so I can't say the techniques I use in FL will work the same in your climes.

Might be too cold. If the paint skins over before all the volatiles have dissipated those volatiles will cause bubbles as they leave your project. Trying a sample in a warmer environment could tell you what's up.

I think you guys might be correct that the temperature is a bit too cold. I have used this same paint before without getting the annoying bubbles. Unfortunately, the weather here has has gotten noticeably colder. The painting is the last stage of a major rebuild of the transom. I can't install the gudgeons until the painting is done. Thanks for the feedback.

I used to keep a chart to benchmark resins and paints for forcasting future use. Temp, humidity, volume, thinner, kick time, etc. I did very little work under 60F degrees and 45%ish humidity but humidity impacted how they worked way more than temps.

55 is not too cold. Wish I could help. I use Brightsides frequently, over a wide range of temperatures, cannot recall ever having a problem with bubbles. Brush, foam, roll and tip, you name it. Any possible contamination? Bubbles ought to brush out and stay out. Possible plunging overnight temperature and high humidity? Can you take off the chill with a modest source of heat?

The humidity is low and the painting was done with falling temperatures. I readily admit that I'm not a great painter. As a matter of fact, I think the most difficult part of boatbuilding (at least for me) is getting a decent paint job.

Clean the surface better? Wipe really well with thinner and make sure it dries before laying the paint? Thin coats.

You do remember 'stirred, not shaken'... right?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

New, uncontaminated or thoroughly clean brush?

I used a foam brush and the paint was indeed stirred not shaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike V. View Post
    I used a foam brush and the paint was indeed stirred not shaken.
    Foam brushes are fine, but they do promote 'foaminess' in the finish. Are you being careful to unload your brush after every dip so as to avoid the foamies?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In case anyone is interested, I applied another coat of Brightsides last night and it came out as good as I can expect. There were no bubbles. It was much warmer when I applied it this time, probably high 60's, maybe even 70. Thanks for your help on this issue.