Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Maine BoatBuilder’s Show and EBS

Default 2018 Maine BoatBuilder’s Show and EBS

So the MBBS is coming right up - March 23rd to 25th.

http://www.portlandcompany.com/boatshow/

As usual we will be hosting an Elbow Bending Sympoium on Saturday night after the Show. We’ll provide dinner, feel free to bring something to drink or maybe a starter or dessert.

Rumor has it there will be a few honored WBForum guests coming from out of town.

The Show isn’t in the old Portland Company industrial buildings anymore but the new location is actually more comfortable and easier for the exhibitors.

PM me for directions to our house. Hope to see you here.

I’ll put up the Seminar listings when they become available.

Default Re: 2018 Maine BoatBuilder’s Show and EBS

Looking forward.

I am too! The Bauer get-together is a wonderful thing.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

+1!
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

We'll be there.

I will be there as well =)

We are tabling and presenting at the show so come find us and say hi!
    ACORN TO ARABELLA
    For additional info on this project:

www.acorntoarabella.com
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi...WB1xCp6uuUo0VA

SEMINAR SCHEDULE - DRAFT

Friday, March 23, 2018

9:00 AM Annual Meeting, National Association of Marine Surveyors. www.namsglobal.org

Lectures Beginning at 11:00 Open to All Attendees
    11:00 - 12:00 ANNOUNCED SOON.

12:15 - 1:15 ELECTRIC DRIVES,with Chris Hood, CW Hood Yachts. Chris willtalk aboutthe propulsion system from Torqeedo powered by Lithium batteries. Operators simply turn a key. The control panel and throttle are aft in the cockpit for easy access. Installation is a simple two bolt attachment and has a folding propeller for decreased drag. Web site: cwhoodyachts.com
    1:30 - 2:30INSIGHTS ON MAINE COASTAL SAILING,with Charlie Doane. Charlie is an avid sailor and cruising editor forSAIL Magazine. He has authoredThe Modern Cruising Sailboat (2010) and The Sea Is Not Full (2017). Charlie learned to sail as a boy in the mouth of the Kennebec River and has completed seven transatlantic voyages as well as other numerous ocean passages. He sails from Portland on an aluminum Boreal 47. Web site: sailmagazine.com

2:45 - 3:45MANUFACTURING FOR THE US MARKET AND EXPORTING REQUIREMENTS:ABYC UPDATE, with Craig Scholten ABYC Technical VP. This presentation highlights minimum Federal Regs, CFR updates, the latest issues from the Office of Boating Safety, points that ABYC standards cover, US EPA and CARB fuel systems and new compliance audit tools. Also discussed will be exportingrequirements for Canada, the latest updates for Europe, and ABYC / ISO Differences.
    Web site: abycinc.org

4:00 - 5:00HALF HULL MODELS, with Richard Stanley. what they are for, why making a half model can be a useful and worthwhile part of the design process, the tools used to make them and the process involved in making them from a blank with hand tools. Web site: richardstanleyboats.com

5:15 - 6:00MAINE ISLAND TRAIL ASSOCIATION – 30 YEARS ON,with Doug Welch, MITA’s Executive Director. After 30 years, the Maine Island Trail remains an "only-in-Maine" phenomenon that has inspired many other water trails nationwide. Doug Welch, Executive Director of the 6,000-member Maine Island Trail will discuss the roots of this radical small-boat undertaking, present a short video featuring several of the founders, and talk about the future as MITA the last section of this border-to-border recreational water trail. Web site: mita.org
    Saturday, March 24, 2018

9:00 - 12:30 MARINE TROUBLE SHOOTING COMPETITION.These high school participants represent the next generation of leaders in the marine trades. Sponsored by Portland Yacht Services, Marine Mechanics Institute (MMI) and Universal Technical Institute (UTI) and organized in part by Portland Arts and Technical School (PATHS). This is a timed competition great for the industry. Encourage these students! This effort supported by Universal Technical Institute/Marine Mechanics Institute, Cottage Road Service Center, Snap-on and Portland Yacht Services. Location for the competition to be announced. Web sites:

11:00 - 12:00 METALLURGY OF MARINE HARDWARE,with Roger Winiarski of Bristol Bronze. Roger will discuss advantages and disadvantages of various metal types used on boats (aluminum, stainless steel and bronze) and the various alloying elements used in each. Also, how long each metal lasts and/or deteriorates quickly. Bristol Bronze is a company specializing in the authentic reproduction of fittings for traditional and classic yachts. Web site: www.bristolbronze.com

12:15 - 1:15CELESTIAL NAVIGATIONOVERVIEW, with Captain Rick Miller, Department Chair, Marine Transportation Operations, Maine Maritime Academy.Rick will talk about theory behind the practice of celestial navigation and demonstrate how to find your latitude at local apparent noon. We’ll have a few sextants on hand or bring your own if you like. Rick has been Master of many motor and sailing vessels and has instructed celestial navigation from the deck of ships and in classrooms. Come learn some tips from one of the best. Web site: mainemaritime.edu

1:30 - 2:30 WIRELESS MARINE ELECTRONICS,with Tim Greer, Navtronics Marine. Bluetooth radar and other wireless options ... practical or nightmare? Integration, what systems can talk to what? Remote boat monitoring. Other good stuff.Web site: www.navtronics.com

2:45 - 3:45 BRINGING MARY E BACK, Kurt Spiridakis, Maine Maritime Museum. The Mary E returned to Bath in May 2017 for a major restoration. Built in 1906 by Thomas Hagan, she represents a typical small fishing schooner built on the Kennebec River in the early 20th century. Over the last 112 years she has worked as a coastal fishing boat, mail boat, rum runner, dragger, windjammer and day cruiser. The Maine Maritime Museum is funding a 12-month rehabilitation so she will continue sailing for another 100 years. Shipwright Andros Kypragoras is leading a team of four to replace most of the structure above the waterline. The transom will also be replaced and raised over 12” to original lines.
    Web site: www.mainemaritimemuseum.org/mary-e

4:00 - 5:00 SCHOONER HARVEY GAMAGE CUBA VOYAGING: MAINE STUDENTS NAVIGATING CHANGE IN CUBA, Ocean Passages. Harvey Gamage has summer sailing programs in Maine and winter programs in Cuba. Adventure with a purpose. Web site: www.ocean-passages.org

Sunday, March 25, 2018

11:00 - 12:00 EDUCATION FOR PROFESSIONAL MARINERS BEGINS IN HIGH SCHOOL, with Captain Eric Jergenson, Chairman for Maine Ocean School. Considering a career in the maritime trades? Maine Ocean School is a public magnet high school that provides a “hands-on, minds-on” education on the water, in the lab and in the classroom. Eric will present the school’s vision and answer common questions. What is the Maine Ocean School?What is a public magnet school? Why does Maine need a school like this?Who can attend?What do we teach and how is it unique to Maine and ocean careers?What are the opportunities for ocean-based careers?Our partners in this effort.Admissions information and summer programs.Web site: www.maineoceanschool.org

12:15 - 1:15 CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PREPARATION, FROM A MARINE SURVEYOR’S PERSPECTIVE,with Captain Tom Lokocz Adams, Maine Design Company. After Hurricanes Irma and Maria caused widespread destruction across the Caribbean in September, Tom Adams flew to Tortola and Saint Martin where he inspected hundreds of boats and saw the results of nature’s most powerful force, a category 5 hurricane. Tom will show aerial drone and photographic footage of his findings along the waterfront. Hewill provide considerations for builders and owners prepping for severe storms, what cannot be prepared for. Tom has a maritime career that includes many thousands of miles as captain in the Maine Windjammer fleet, as a boat builder and systems mechanic. He spent much of the last twentyyears in marine surveying, design and engineering services as is based in Camden, Maine.
    Web site:www.mainedesigncompany.com

1:30 - 2:30WOODEN BOATS AND ANECDOTES FORM THE NOT SO DISTANT PAST, with Master Boatbuilder Harold Burnham. In 2015, Captain Burnham got a job working 2-3 days a week as owners representative for the Schooner Ernestina Morrissey at The Boothbay Harbor Shipyard. This is the first job in his life that has lasted more than a year and one of the few that has not required attention every waking hour. Harold will talk about how he has kept himself amused and employed during the four to five days a week not working on Ernestina. An apprenticeship program with his son rebuilding the first vessel his dad built in 1971. “Playing” with neighbors at the Essex shipbuilding museum. Rebuilding the WATERMARK an early apprentice-shop crotch island pinky with at risk youth. Learning to dive and working underwater on the historic railway at Maritime Gloucester. As well as projects around my own yard repairing boats, sail making, sawing, and operating our family pinky schooner Ardelle.
    Web sites: BurnhamBoatBuilding.com and SchoonerArdelle.com

2:45-3:30BUILD, SAIL, LIVE. TWO GUYS, ONE CRAZY DREAM. Steve Dunette and AlixKreder arebuilding a 38’ sailboat from stump to ship, which once completed will take them around the world. The traditional-build wooden boat is a 1934 William Atkin yawl design. Alix and Steve hope to inspire and educate along the way. With a bit of dedication, good company and some old school smarts even the wildest of dreams can be made to come true! Web site:www.acorntoarabella.com
    Subject to Change

Sounds like a great weekend. Sorry to miss it.

If it happens next year - Ill try to be there.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I hope this is the last show I'll have to miss!

I'll be there on the Saturday as long as the weather is OK. I'd like to see the Arabella guys talk but I guess I'll see their table.

I'm really going for Steven and Mary's party.

I plan to be there too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Sounds like a great weekend. Sorry to miss it.

If it happens next year - Ill try to be there.
    +1!

Yup, taking advantage of the offer to help Downeast TSCA out by putting in some table time in exchange for a ticket.... and the chance to sit for a bit.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Me too. I'll be manning the TSCA/MSCC table. We will be announcing and promoting the Maine Small Craft Celebration at the show. It will be a fall boat show focusing on small boats (surprise) to be held downtown Portland. Stop by and see what it's about.

I can swing some free passes if you're willing to sit for a bit!
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Quote Originally Posted by SBrookman View Post
    Me too. I'll be manning the TSCA/MSCC table. We will be announcing and promoting the Maine Small Craft Celebration at the show. It will be a fall boat show focusing on small boats (surprise) to be held downtown Portland. Stop by and see what it's about.

I can swing some free passes if you're willing to sit for a bit!
    This is very exciting news.

Email from PYS, list of endors/ehhibitors as of today:

ABYC
    Acorn to Arabella
    Airhead Toilet
    Artisan Boatworks
    Bad Dog Tools
    Bar Harbor Bank & Trust
    Belmont Boatworks
    Beta Marine US Ltd
    Boats & Harbors
    Bomon Inc
    BRP/Evinrude
    Brunswick Cushion Co
    Buzzards Bay
    Calendar Islands Sailing Co
    Cali-optics importers
    Chart Metalworks
    Chase Leavitt Co.
    Chase Small Craft
    Coastwise Incorporated
    Compass Project
    Cummins Sales and Service
    Custom Float Services
    Derecktor Maine LLC
    Dirty Oar Marine
    Epifanes North America Inc.
    Fatty Knees
    Finger Lakes Boating Center
    Front Street Shipyard
    General Marine Inc.
    Great Northern Docks
    Hallett Canvas + Sails
    Hamilton Marine Inc.
    Hansen Marine
    Harbor Lights Decorative Lighted Nautic
    Harpswell Sailing Co. LLC
    Hodgdon Yacht Services
    Howard Boats
    Hunt Yachts/Yachting Solutions
    Hurricane Island* Center for Science
    Interlux Yacht Finishes
    International Chromium Company
    Irishspan Industries Inc.
    John Deere Marine/Bell Power Systems,LLC
    John Williams Boat Company
    Journey's End
    Kittery Point Yacht Yard
    Mack Boring + Parts Co.
    Maine Boats Homes and Harbors
    Maine Built Boats
    Maine Coastal News
    Maine Island Trail Association
    Maine Maritime Academy
    Maine Maritime Academy-ALUMNAE
    Maine Maritime Museum
    Maine Ocean School
    Maine Yacht Center
    Marine Learning Center
    Maritime Boats
    Maritime Funding of Maine/Block Island
    Martin Walter
    MMES Custom Panels
    Mudd Knives
    Nautulis Marine Fabrication
    New England Bow Thruster
    New England Finishing Solutions
    Newfound Woodworks Inc.
    North Atlantic Inflatbles
    Ocean Classroom/Harvey Gamage
    Ocean Navigator & Professional Mariner
    Ocean Planet Energy
    Old Charts of NE
    Parker River Boat Works
    Paul E. Luke, Inc.
    Peapod Jewelry
    Pettit Paint
    Points East Publishing
    Portland Yacht Services
    Quick USA Inc
    R & W Traditional Rigging and Outfitting
    Rafnar Shipyard
    Ranger Tug Boats
    Richard Stanley Custom Boats
    Rockport Marine
    Ross Bros
    Royal River Boat
    SAIL MAINE
    Salty Boats of Maine
    Sawyer & Whitten Marine Electronics
    Sea Hawk Paints
    Seabags
    Seal Cove Boatyard
    Ship's Coy Forge
    Smithwick & Mariners Insurance Inc.
    SOUNDINGS
    Southport Marine
    Spartan Marine
    SW Boatworks
    Swan Lake Tool Barn (formerly antique tools)
    Swanson Boat Company
    T & L Tools
    The Hinckley Company
    The Hope Group
    The landing school
    The Nantucket bagg co
    U.S. A-Team-Southshore Outboard Assoc
    USCG
    Victron Energy N.A.
    Waterman Marine Corporation
    White's Nautical Antiques
    Wilbur Yachts
    Yankee Marina & Boatyard, Inc

We will be there on Saturday, looking forward to meeting some long time invisible freinds IRL!
    Steve Martinsen

No WoodenBoat again this year.

Yes. Unfortunate. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    No WoodenBoat again this year.
    Damn! I need to renew my subscription & was hoping to replace the hat I left on an airplane. I bet some plane cleaner in Dallas is going WTH is that?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

As far as I know so far, I'll be manning the Traditional Small Craft Association booth Saturday morning. Come by and say hi!

Hear about initial plans for the Maine Small Craft Celebration (MSSC):

Sharing the Joy of Small Boats

September 22-23, 2018

at

Portland Yacht Services, Inc.

100 West Commercial Street

58 Fore Street

Portland, ME 04101

The inaugural Maine Small Craft Celebration will be a 2 day event held on the shores of the Fore River in South Portland. Occurring over the autumnal equinox the MSCC will provide participants an opportunity to celebrate the end of a boating season and to start dreaming and planning for next year’s boat, upgrade or adventure.

Exhibitors will have small boats, sail, oar and power, on display on the water and on land. Demonstrations, workshops, and lectures will be given throughout the event focusing on building, maintaining and safely operating small boats.

The most unique feature will be on the water where visitors can “Try it-Like it.” Designers and builders will be there to discuss and demonstrate the features of their boats. Visitors will be able to take them for a test “drive” after learning the particulars about that craft.

Also on the water there will be boat races, easily viewed from shore, demonstrations on rigging and rowing techniques, and boat tours of Portland harbor. Back on land there will be an exhibitors area where maritime businesses and organizations will be able to show their wares, discuss their programs, and interact with the public. A juried boat contest, a nautical flea market and a children’s marine craft area will be among the other events scheduled. A celebration would not be complete without food and entertainment so there will be music, local food and craft beer available throughout the weekend.

If you have a business or organization that would like to participate in this celebration please contact info@smallcraftcelebration.com for more information
    If I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, eventually they would find me attractive.

Unfortunately I'll be teaching Fundamentals of Boatbuilding at the WoodenBoat School at that time. Building small craft.

Note from someone who cannot attend, please take and post lots of pictures.
    Maybe next year.

What is worse than WB not coming is that there really are very few actual boatbuilders coming.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Yes.

The MBBS is perhaps unintentionally pricing out the actual crafty boatbuilders and their smaller suppliers and it's turning into more like a mass market show. I don't know if the economics will allow for any strategies to reverse that trend. But this way, it's going to be a pale immitation of the Boston show.

We're hoping that the fall MSCC will be buck that trend with a focus on small boats, builders, designers and an emphasis on keeping costs down and the fun factor up.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed
    PAYTON 13' Pea Pod

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

SBrookman, please share what's up with "the fall MSCC".

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    SBrookman, please share what's up with "the fall MSCC".
    Ian, see post #21

Thank you Steven. I'd gazed right past . . . Now I must put it into my plans. Maybe if ready even get Meg there.

I won’t be able to make it this year. Didn’t have any long PWM layovers available. I will be checking out the Long Island Maritime Museum later this week (weather permitting, sheesh it’s SPRING tomorrow people!). I’ll be getting my catboat fix satisfied.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Thank you Steven. I'd gazed right past . . . Now I must put it into my plans. Maybe if ready even get Meg there.
    Wouldn't that be awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I won’t be able to make it this year. Didn’t have any long PWM layovers available. I will be checking out the Long Island Maritime Museum later this week (weather permitting, sheesh it’s SPRING tomorrow people!). I’ll be getting my catboat fix satisfied.
    I’ve long wanted to visit the LIMaritime Museum. You’d think a guy from Garden City might have made it there by now.

Hi, Steven. Just saw this - Meg and I will try to make it down on Saturday from Bath. I see there's a Maine Maritime Museum presentation on the rebuilding of Mary E, which was originally built in Bath in 1906. We're all excited about Mary E - she'll be a permanent part of the Museum fleet and will be crewed by the tour boat staff (M/V Merrymeeting), which I'm a part of. Fun summer awaits! -Ben

I just five minutes ago saw some great pictures of Mary E on Facebook. Wow, she’s coming along nicely!