Thread: A Pleasant Kindness

Default A Pleasant Kindness

Brother Chris was lecturing in Glasgow yesterday, and someone handed him this photo.

What a wonderful surprise!

It was taken on my Dad's retirement flight in March, 1994. This was also the last scheduled flight of the DC-8 at Air Canada -- both airplane and pilot were retiring together.

It was a DC-8-71, and the pairing was Toronto-Prestwick-Zurich, layover, and then back by way of Shannon (although we had to stop in St. John's on the way back because of very strong headwinds, and the small, poor, wing of the 61/71-model DC-8). I was an F/O on the A-320 in Winnipeg then -- that's me with the True Canadian Pilot's Moustache -- and on my left is brother Phil. He was laid-off from AC at the time, but we wangled him a security tag by some devious means, and the two of us came along just to be there. The working F/O and S/O are next to the aircraft.

Dad appears to be wearing the Official Approved Air Canada Prestwick Tam'o'Shanter.

How very thoughtful and kind of whomever-it-was to dig this out and give it to Chris. (He had just moved to Houston then and was on the Shuttle course.) What a great family memento.

I'm gonna grow that 'stache back...

And get that thin again.

Dave

Default Re: A Pleasant Kindness

excellent photo

The family business. Lovely picture. Your brother sets the moustache bar pretty high.

Yes, lovely.

quite lovely. a bitter sweet moment, no doubt

Love it!

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    Brother Chris was lecturing in Glasgow yesterday, and someone handed him this photo.

What a wonderful surprise!

It was taken on my Dad's retirement flight in March, 1994. This was also the last scheduled flight of the DC-8 at Air Canada -- both airplane and pilot were retiring together.

It was a DC-8-71, and the pairing was Toronto-Prestwick-Zurich, layover, and then back by way of Shannon (although we had to stop in St. John's on the way back because of very strong headwinds, and the small, poor, wing of the 61/71-model DC-8). I was an F/O on the A-320 in Winnipeg then -- that's me with the True Canadian Pilot's Moustache -- and on my left is brother Phil. He was laid-off from AC at the time, but we wangled him a security tag by some devious means, and the two of us came along just to be there. The working F/O and S/O are next to the aircraft.

Dad appears to be wearing the Official Approved Air Canada Prestwick Tam'o'Shanter.

How very thoughtful and kind of whomever-it-was to dig this out and give it to Chris. (He had just moved to Houston then and was on the Shuttle course.) What a great family memento.

I'm gonna grow that 'stache back...

And get that thin again.

Dave
    Nice! And I totally believe you on the 'thin' part. But the 'stache? A stache like that only comes along once in life, eh? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

There are a lot of wonderful people in the world. Nice he ran into one of 'em.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Definitely needs a nice frame
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Was that a DC-8-71 freighter? I believe we got them next at DHL. I never was crew on them, but jumpseated many times. I think some were partially modified to fly without a FE. The FOs seat could be slid back to work the FE panel. We never operated them that way.
    Last edited by CK 17; 02-17-2018 at 01:31 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

A family of airplane captains, to say the least !

Here is another family which I came across some weeks ago while browsing the web, but on the other side of the world :

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india...6sjpggRCN.html

Thanks for taking the time to share a good deed. May it lead to many more...

-M

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Was that a DC-8-71 freighter? I believe we got them next at DHL. I never was crew on them, but jumpseated many times. I think some were partially modified to fly without a FE. The FOs seat could be slid back to work the FE panel. We never operated them that way.
    DHL got our good ones, the DC-8-73. They had a larger wing and were a very capable airplane, long-range and able to get up high. We practically gave them away.

Thanks all, for the remarks!

And that is a very impressive family there in India.

DHL got our good ones, the DC-8-73. They had a larger wing and were a very capable airplane, long-range and able to get up high. We practically gave them away.
    My first flight on a DC-8 was with Air Canada from Toronto to London in ī72, with a couple of stops en-route in Canada, prior to crossing the Atlantic (in common parlance, the milkmanīs run).

Their fuselage length seemed longer than most on the ground, but pbserving them flying up in the air, left no doubt that this first impression was no optical illusion.

A couple of decades ago or more, Iberia operated similar DC-8īs on their regular weekly service between Rio and Madrid; their sheer length while airborne had them stand out over other aircraft

And that is a very impressive family there in India.
    In my youth, such phenomenon were observed to occur, here and there, in the conventional professions of medicine, law, science, teaching etc.....but not in the profession of piloting aircraft, a field reserved for dare-devils !

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Very cool. And what a lovely family bond.

Finastkind.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Finastkind.
    Beat me to it.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thats really nice , Dave.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Great picture and memories Dave.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

Quote Originally Posted by carioca1232001 View Post
    ...In my youth, such phenomenon were observed to occur, here and there, in the conventional professions of medicine, law, science, teaching etc.....but not in the profession of piloting aircraft, a field reserved for dare-devils !
    The 'Engineer brothers' - from the subcontinentīs tiny but talented Zoroastrian ethnic group - were outstanding aviators, and their near-simultaneous tenure in the profession defies conventional wisdom .

In that part of the world siblings often duplicate a profession, or simply play 'follow the leader' (father) for as many generations as are able to comply with family pressure, but that many aviators in one go...... is unheard of.

Obviously, their own fatherīs profession (engineering) did not meet their fancy

https://zoroastrians.net/2017/09/21/...neer-brothers/