Thread: T-Shirt Recall?

Default T-Shirt Recall?

scn2136 - Version 2.jpg

We are told that this t-shirt is very popular at the WB store, but what does it actually say? (I am not sure how these Nordic letters will traverse the web, but here goes) I understand that Icelandic is the closest we have to ancient Norse, so I contacted friends at Menntaskóllin á Akureyri (a college in the North of Iceland), Hildur says, "Bundinn er bátlaus mađur is a proverb but in this case (the t-shirt) it's misspelled and has a letter from Danish/Norwegian/Swedish alphabet (ĺ)." Meanwhile the highly respected teacher of the ancient Sagas, Sverrir Páll E. says, "In Faroese there is a proverb like this: 'Bundin er bátleysur mađur'. Bĺtlaus is a word known in North-Norway. and there you could say and write 'en bĺtalus mann er bunden'. "I think this T-shirt is made by someone who thinks this looks like Old Norse - but doesn’t know the history of language well enough to do it right. This is no particular language, this is a mixture of Norse, Faroese, (and perhaps Icelandic.)" So www, have at it, Get your Viking on and let's settle this! In any event, if this was ever written down at the time it would have been in runes, so all you rune scholars (including Hermione) let's get this right, or at least have some fun....

Ken

Default Re: T-Shirt Recall?

You question the wisdom of the folks at the WoodenBoat Store? Blasphemy! Burn him! Burn him!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Translating via Google "Bound is the boatless man" in modern Norwegian is
    Bundet er bĺtlřs mann

You silly herring!!

The t-shirt is actually written in SandsGrit.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Keep it coming, We need the rune translation! I want to carve this into the boat I am building and runes are easier to carve than letters (for obvious reasons)

Ken

Well put, David G.

I have a friend who had that in runic over the door of his boat shed. He probably has what he wrote and knows his source. No runic in my computer alphabet.

You could wing it phoenetically: http://www.ancientscripts.com/futhark.html

Except that my understanding of runic is that it is not necessarily phonetic:it's concepts and modifiers, like love,sex, war, death, boats,... all the important stuff :-) and if you put a cross over part of a character it is negative to whatever that character concept was, and if you put a lot of crosses over it, it's like writing an email in all cap's. The link makes it all look like stand-ins for the spoken word, and I have heard that it is (or can be) more abstract than that. Admittedly, my information is a bit suspect, like coming from supposed dictionaries and charm bracelets you can buy in tourist shops in Reykjavik.......

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    You could wing it phoenetically: http://www.ancientscripts.com/futhark.html

Haven't enjoyed (listening to) a discussion of this sort since listening to "Tolkien-ites" argue the finer points of the Tengwar!
    Last edited by Vince Brennan; 02-21-2018 at 06:10 PM. Reason: verbus completely missingus againus

Also, wasn't that Chris Benco's sigline?