Thread: Tampa, Fl-Everglades Challenge

Default Tampa, Fl-Everglades Challenge

I debated whether to post this in the bilge or up here. I decided it was a legitimate boating related question so I put it up here.

I was thinking of catching a cheap flight to Florida to see the start of the Everglades challenge on March 2-3. Work prevents me from taking part this year but I'd like to give it a try. Maybe next year.

It starts near Tampa and when looking at maps, hotels, etc. I couldn't help but notice several reference so the crime rate.

Here is a random but representative quote:

The overall crime rate in East Tampa is 51% higher than the national average. For every 100,000 people, there are 11.8 daily crimes that occur in East Tampa. East Tampa is safer than 27% of the cities in the Florida. In East Tampa you have a 1 in 24 chance of becoming a victim of any crime.

My question to those who may know, is it really as bad as it sounds? I was thinking flying in, probably renting a car, and sleeping in a tent or cheap hotel near the starting beach.

But given the warning, I have reconsidered the trip entirely (and perhaps participating in the race).

I know of several places in Texas where I would recommend you not go....simply not safe. Is Tampa one of those places in Florida?

Thanks

Tom

Default Re: Tampa, Fl-Everglades Challenge

Don't sweat it, it wont be a problem where you will be. I looked up the Race start and it is in Fort DeSoto Park. They have camping in the park so you would be right there where it starts. http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm#fortd

Just call now and get your spot reserved.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMEraJsbEjo

Come on down. I'm in St Petersburg (west side of Tampa Bay, where Ft Desoto is located) It's a short Interstate drive from the Tampa Airport to South St Petersburg and Ft Desoto. Tourism is the main industry here, there are probably a couple of hundred visitors here this time of year.

If you do come, you should be at the starting beach on Friday afternoon while the boats are being set up. They start at first light on Saturday.

Ft Desoto is not near Tampa or any other congested area but is on the Island of Mullet Key outside of Tampa Bay. The race starting time is 7 AM on the first Saturday in March every year (emergencies seldom change this). Camping in Ft Desoto Park is very popular this time of year so best to do your homework.
    Tom L

Great. Thanks! I may be a little late with my planning this year. If so, the money will go to my Sawstop fund.

I was unaware Tampa had enough crime to prevent visitors. I had always thought it was clean and safe. It must be their glorification of the pirate life, and their annual pirate festival, Gasparilla. Watch out for spring breakers though.