Thread: Elevator "Close Door" Buttons

Default Elevator "Close Door" Buttons

If you get in an automatic elevator and press your floor, the door closes in a second or two. If you press the "close door" button the door closes in a second or two.

Do the Close Door buttons do anything, or are they just there to keep hurried people occupied?
    I will beg you for advice, your reply will be concise, and I will listen very nicely and then go out and do exactly what I want! (Apologies to Lerner and Lowe.)

Default Re: Elevator "Close Door" Buttons

An ineffable and un-answerable question, according to a friend who works for Otis Elevator.

She is of the opinion that, while performing no obvious mechanical function, they DO give the punters something to punch repeatedly.

I am of the opinion that the company should incorporate (much like the penalty light used by Jeopardy!) a delay, so that the more the button is pressed, the longer it takes the door to close, but then, I have an odd sense of humour.

They always work for me. You must be pushing it wrong!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

This question took us some time to answer, experimentally: If you keep the door closed button pushed the entire descent, does it prevent the elevator from stopping on intermediate floors?
    bccphalarope(dot)com

When we were upgrading the freight elevator in our old building from the 19th century technology to 20th... the tech asked us about various setting preferences. Apparently... the 'door close' button CAN be set to slow down the process. Or do nothing. Or speed it up. Having a peculiar sense of humor as well... I requested that the button speed things up.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

The doors close slower on intermediate floors. Some elevators are set for quite a bit of " courtesy " open door time.

For example, you board an elevator with me. I am getting off at 5 and you at 10. At floor five, the door opens and I walk off in a second or two. You can wait 10 or more seconds for the doors to close by themselves ( according to their setting) or you can press the, " Close Doors," button. In a building with a lot of floors, with a lot of elevator traffic, you may make three-five-seven stops before you get to your floor. Using the door closed button can speed up the trip in those scenarios.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    When we were upgrading the freight elevator in our old building from the 19th century technology to 20th... the tech asked us about various setting preferences. Apparently... the 'door close' button CAN be set to slow down the process. Or do nothing. Or speed it up. Having a peculiar sense of humor as well... I requested that the button speed things up.
    But.... but.... THAT'S no FUN!! I'd rather have the elevator, once the button has been pushed several times in rapid succession, intone gravely, "I'm sorry, Dave... I just can't DO that!"

I use the stairs...

^Bingo!
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    The doors close slower on intermediate floors. Some elevators are set for quite a bit of " courtesy " open door time....
    This is the thing.

For the vast majority of elevators, the programmed door-open time is brief enough that the "close door" button has little or no effect.

Freight elevators, hospitals, and other applications that typically need longer loading times will have a much longer door-open time than the general public usually experiences, and on those the "close door" button certainly speeds the process.

I know of at least two nursing home / eldercare facilities in which, in addition to the long door-open time, the doors close VERY slowly and gently for obvious reasons.
    On those elevators, the "close-door" button also allows the doors to close at a normal rate upon command. Of course, you need to have inside knowledge of this, as it's the one button on which the text has completely worn-away.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I can never find the "open doors" button fast enough when someone is racing to catch the elevator. I wind up sticking my foot in the door if I have the presence of mind.

I have sometimes wondered whether a tiny part of the success of my erstwhile employers might be due to the similarity between their logo and the button that you press whenj you are in a hurry:

It actually started as a house flag on CNCo ships, in 1872.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    This is the thing.

For the vast majority of elevators, the programmed door-open time is brief enough that the "close door" button has little or no effect.

Freight elevators, hospitals, and other applications that typically need longer loading times will have a much longer door-open time than the general public usually experiences, and on those the "close door" button certainly speeds the process.

I know of at least two nursing home / eldercare facilities in which, in addition to the long door-open time, the doors close VERY slowly and gently for obvious reasons.
    On those elevators, the "close-door" button also allows the doors to close at a normal rate upon command. Of course, you need to have inside knowledge of this, as it's the one button on which the text has completely worn-away.
    yes but that does not help me when I push the close door button so people cannot get on the elevator.
    Also there is supposedly a button combo to push so the elevator will not stop on any floors except the one you pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by redeye1962 View Post
    yes but that does not help me when I push the close door button so people cannot get on the elevator.
    Also there is supposedly a button combo to push so the elevator will not stop on any floors except the one you pushed.
    i push the close door button to keep people from getting off

fart

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

And I assume everyone here knows the trick to make an elevator go straight to your floor without stopping at intermediate floors.

i don't get inside the devil's levitation boxes. i take the stairs. fool around with that black magic if you want, but don't say i didn't warn you.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    And I assume everyone here knows the trick to make an elevator go straight to your floor without stopping at intermediate floors.

This only applies if no one else is aboard?

Kevjn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i don't get inside the devil's levitation boxes. i take the stairs. fool around with that black magic if you want, but don't say i didn't warn you.

What happens if you get room 2409 or your friend lives on the 9th floor?

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    What happens if you get room 2409 or your friend lives on the 9th floor?

Kevin

i don't make friends in high places.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    i push the close door button to keep people from getting off

fart

if there’s 2 people in an elevator and 1 farts everyone knows who did it. . .
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    if there’s 2 people in an elevator and 1 farts everyone knows who did it. . .

depends on how old they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    I use the stairs...
    My question concerns elevators and stairs. They all seem to have a sign telling you to use the stairs in case of fire, but very few point you to those stairs.
    How do we form a mutiny? Our new captain is navigating poorly.

I can never tell which is close door and which is open door. >< Could be arrows pointing inwards, or could be indicating make the opening larger.

My son is 4.
    Group Health Hospital.
    On our way to a 4th floor appointment.
    Crowded elevator.
    Big red button that is labeled "Emergency Stop".
    4 year olds can't read.
    He pulled it.
    Screaming ensued.
    A woman actually wondered if she was about to die.

That switch worked.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

The elevators in the hospital I interned at had a very rapid close-door cycle - for a very short period of time. We interns loved it; get on, go. But after a few weeks, must've 'winged' a few geriatrics, and it was suddenly very slow.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Yeah, I stand in front of the panel and raise an eyebrow like The Rock whenever someone else reaches for a button. Works a treat.
    No adversary is worse than bad advice.

I once read a story, perhaps by the anthropologist Napoleon Chagnon, of a Yanomamo indian who was taken to visit a large city. He wasn't so impressed by the airplane ride, it was just the view that the gods had. He was most impressed by the brass ball at the base of the banister in the hotel lobby, and the elevator. He was amazed that people would go into the elevator, the doors would close, and when they opened again different people and different numbers of people would be in the elevator.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

It's like the pedestrian button for traffic signals. Some cause a four way red for cars and "WALK" for pedestrians. Some are just decorative emotional relief. Actually, traffic planners disarm the walk button if they want more planned control over how the intersection is timed.

I don't know how to do that but if I'm on the second floor and my co-workers are staying on the 12th i know how to make it stop at every floor in between as I am getting off.
    Tom

I like the close button, just as i like the open button when i see someone trying to catch the elevator.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wilkinson View Post
    I don't know how to do that but if I'm on the second floor and my co-workers are staying on the 12th i know how to make it stop at every floor in between as I am getting off.
    ha!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.