Thread: oy vey! That's a lot of shekels!

Default oy vey! That's a lot of shekels!

From AP:

Police recommend indictments of Netanyahu

JERUSALEM Israeli police on Tuesday recommended that Benjamin Netanyahu be indicted on bribery and breach of trust charges in a pair of corruption cases, dealing an embarrassing blow to the embattled prime minister that is likely to fuel calls for him to step down.

Netanyahu angrily rejected the accusations, which included accepting nearly $300,000 in gifts from a pair of billionaires. He accused police of being on a witch hunt, vowed to remain in office and even seek re-election.

"I will continue to lead the state of Israel responsibly and loyally as long as you, the citizens of Israel choose me to lead you," an ashen-faced Netanyahu said in a televised address. "I am sure that the truth will come to light. And I am sure that also in the next election that will take place on time I will win your trust again with God's help."

The recommendations marked a dramatic ending to a months-long investigation into allegations that Netanyahu accepted gifts from Hollywood mogul Arnon Milchan and Australian billionaire James Packer, and suspicions that Netanyahu offered to give preferential treatment to a newspaper publisher in exchange for favorable coverage.

The recommendations now go to Attorney General Avihai Mendelblit, who will review the material before deciding whether to file charges. Netanyahu can remain in office during that process, which could drag on for months.

But with a cloud hanging over his head, he could soon find himself facing calls to step aside. During similar circumstances a decade ago, Netanyahu, as opposition leader, urged then-Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to resign during a police investigation, saying a leader "sunk up to his neck in interrogations" could not govern properly.

Former Prime Minister Ehud Barak, a bitter rival of Netanyahu, called on him to suspend himself and for the coalition to appoint a replacement on Wednesday morning.

"The depth of corruption is horrifying," Barak said. "This does not look like nothing. This looks like bribery."
    In a statement, police said there was sufficient evidence to indict Netanyahu in the first case, known as File 1000, for accepting bribes, fraud and breach of trust.

It said Netanyahu had accepted gifts valued at 750,000 shekels ($214,000) from Milchan, and 250,000 shekels (or $71,000) from Packer. The gifts from Milchan reportedly included expensive cigars and champagne.

Police said that in return, Netanyahu had operated on Milchan's behalf on U.S. visa matters, legislating a tax break and connecting him with an Indian businessman. It said he also helped Milchan, an Israeli producer whose credits include "Pretty Woman," ''12 Years a Slave" and "JFK," in the Israeli media market.

In the second case, known as "File 2000," Netanyahu reportedly was recorded asking Arnon Mozes, the publisher of the Yediot Ahronot daily, for positive coverage in exchange for reining in a free pro-Netanyahu daily that had cut into Yediot's business.

Police said there was sufficient evidence to charge both Milchan and Mozes with bribery. There was no immediate comment from either man.
    In his TV address, Netanyahu said that his entire three-decade political career, which included serving as Israel's ambassador to the U.N., a stint at prime minister in the 1990s and a series of Cabinet posts, were meant only to serve the Israeli public.

He acknowledged aiding Milchan with his visa issues, but said Milchan had done much for Israel and noted that the late Shimon Peres, had also been close with Milchan.

He also said that over the years he had taken decisions that hurt Milchan's business interests in Israel.
    "How can allegations be taken seriously that in exchange for cigars I acted for Arnon Milchen's benefit?" he said.
    He said all the allegations over the years against him had one goal: "to topple me from government."
    He said past scandals had all "ended with nothing" and "this time as well they will end with nothing."
    As the police investigation gained steam in recent months, Netanyahu has claimed to be a victim of an overaggressive police force and a media witchhunt.

Netanyahu, who has been prime minister for nine straight years, and his family have become embroiled in a series of scandals in recent months.
    Recordings recently emerged of his wife, Sara, screaming at an aide, while separate recordings emerged of his eldest son, Yair, on a drunken night out at a series of Tel Aviv strip clubs while traveling around in a taxpayer-funded government car with a government-funded bodyguard.
    Netanyahu has said the scandals are all the work of media out to get him.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default Re: oy vey! That's a lot of shekels!

Shouldn't happen to a better man! Waiting for him to use Trump's tagline; It's FAKE NEWS, I tell ya.

There it is again that phrase "Witch Hunt".
    I think the Israeli police are Anti-Semites and need to be sanctioned for this outrageous behaviour.
    Maybe Shurat HaDin should sue.

!! Damn libs!!!!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    !! Damn libs!!!!

How has Mr Netanyahu responded?

"Over the years, I have been the subject of at least 15 enquiries and investigations," he said in his TV address.
    "Some have ended with thunderous police recommendations like those of tonight. All of those attempts resulted in nothing, and this time again they will come to nothing."
    The 68-year-old is in his second stint as prime minister, and has served in the role for a total of 12 years.
    He has faced a number of allegations in his time in office.
    After his first term as prime minister two decades ago, police recommended that he and Sara face criminal charges for keeping official gifts that should have been handed over to the state. The charges were later dropped.
    In July 2015, the couple were accused of charging the government for the services of a contractor who did private work for them. The charges were later dropped.

Too bad it wasn't Mueller on the case - "He always gets his man."
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Bye-bye Bibi.

What are you doing about it?

Wonder what AIPAC has to say about this?
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

The recommendations now go to Attorney General Avihai Mendelblit,
    My understanding, although with limited knowledge of Israel's internal politics, is that he is a part of the far right along with Bibi, and that the lack of indictments should not come as a surprise. Perhaps Anthony Zucker can fill in more detail.

It could set the tone for another embattled leader, one can always hope.
    Last edited by SMARTINSEN; 02-14-2018 at 07:36 AM.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    Too bad it wasn't Mueller on the case - "He always gets his man."

So much for the trials........

Why do libs detest the justice system..