Thread: R2AK 2018, we got wood.

Default R2AK 2018, we got wood.

A 52-foot sloop, that is going to be interesting in the narrows.

https://r2ak.com/2018-teams-full-race/team-ziska/
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Default Re: R2AK 2018, we got wood.

Cool! Although I think its only 52 ft if you include the bowsprit, and the boom, and the flag staff, and the personal aspirations of the crew....

Is there a weather scenario that could put them up front?
    -Dave

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Ziska will have the best tasting coffee I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Is there a weather scenario that could put them up front?
    “We’re choosing steady southerlies”…meaning “We have no idea.”

As a fellow Luddite with a boat designed in 1945 and nothing but two old tube radios for entertainment I applaud their ambition to challenge the modern world with 19th century technology

"yarbidar saltiness" ???
    "The enemies of reason have a certain blind look."
    Doctor Jacquin to Lieutenant D'Hubert, in Ridley Scott's first major film _The Duellists_.

Great writing.

" ... shantying their pants off while they pick things out of their beards."

Thats a long way from Morcombe Bay......it a 38ftr

Picturing this boat trying to beat to weather to get through Seymour Narrows in a strong North-Westerly brings to mind that old definition of sailing: "The fine art of getting wet and becoming ill, while slowly going nowhere at great expense"
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

If she has to do much of any upwind work....
    Im not familiar with the assorted narrows or water involved... could she go through when the current is in her favor and endure the rough water being a large tough boat rather than at slack tide?

Man, I don't know. Seymour Narrows is no joke... The current frequently runs faster than 10 knots. Commercial boats line up and wait for slack or near slack water. I wouldn't and I've been through there a few times (including in a 30 foot 18th century replica long boat). I'd start my attempt in the last of the counter current, and only if I had a good breeze.
    The cure for everything is saltwater - sweat, tears, or the sea.

OK...so maybe they'll have to wait for the Winter southwesterlies? Oh wait...here comes the chase boat...

I've been through Seymour Narrows literally dozens of times in everything from a Blanchard Knockabout to crew on a 215 foot small cruise ship. If someone with no engine gets there at the start of the flood, they'll go through the Narrows whether they like it or not.

Jamo

That of course would be backwards, and back through, on a turn to flood. The first race passage was nailed by the tri crew, using timing and backeddies on their approach to the slack turning to ebb. You can get seriously messed up in a wind over tide event at Seymour Narrows. / Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jamo View Post
    I've been through Seymour Narrows literally dozens of times in everything from a Blanchard Knockabout to crew on a 215 foot small cruise ship. If someone with no engine gets there at the start of the flood, they'll go through the Narrows whether they like it or not.

Jamo
    Like a leaf on a stream.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

In other news the 70/48 race website has participants up and as you would expect there is a little something in there for everyone. Including wood.

https://www.seventy48.com/teams/

Any WBF rats up for this?

Cheers,
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.

The most up for the race I'll be is to be out in the Sound watching for them as they row-paddle-peddle by our island. If its a hot day I may even break a sweat cheering them on.

Jeff

Tracker junkies, start your refresh.

Another R2AK starts tomorrow. I'm also following the VOR65. TTOP breaking my heart every leg.

So, favorites, guesses about the weather, the first place and steak knife finishers?

I'll be watching Josh Collins on a sup for sure, the wooden boat and Roger Mann. As the race develops I usually pick up a few more to check in on besides the tri-s.

I'll be up there for the pre-race Ruckus tonight and start in the morning. Waiting to see how things look before I start handicapping, in the past some decent looking entries were struggling with basic things like their rigging the night before the race.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

From a half mad half baked lark R2AK has turned into a real thing. Finastkind.

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    I'll be up there for the pre-race Ruckus tonight and start in the morning. Waiting to see how things look before I start handicapping, in the past some decent looking entries were struggling with basic things like their rigging the night before the race.
    Sounds like fun, a few of us are interested in hearing about the ruckus if you come back with stories to tell. Are you going to any of the seminars?

I was walking around, emptying garbage cans, picking up sandwich boards that were being blown over and looking at boats. Don't think was anything like a seminar going on. Most of the teams were pretty well settled by the time it got dark last night, the only one still working was Waterworld Impending, they were fussing mightily with rigging the boat. At one point a line they were using to haul up the mast parted but he managed to catch it before it went to far. He started without his mainsail only to have one of the two props for the pedal drive fall off. As of this moment (10 hours after the start) he is still on the beach trying to fix things up, there is time left for him to make it to Victoria.

The whole thing felt a little bit subdued compared to the previous years. After striking the last tent and putting the beer garden away I opted to try sleeping in the back of my Suburban, let's just say it is not as comfy as my Westy. Good sized crowd showed up to see the start, light wind far enough abaft for a few spinnakers to sprout as the fleet headed out to the strains of the Russian anthem. You'll have to ask Jake about that one.

Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Cool, Thanks. I watched the video of the start and wondered at the music. Any idea why Roger Mann (Team Gas Monkey) did not start?

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    If she has to do much of any upwind work....
    Im not familiar with the assorted narrows or water involved... could she go through when the current is in her favor and endure the rough water being a large tough boat rather than at slack tide?
    I have sailed through Seymour Narrows in a comparable boat.....Timing is everything.....

We have very high Solstice tides right now....Current could reach ~16 knots max.