Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy

Default Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy

Remington, one of the oldest and most well-known gun companies in the world, plans to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/12/news...ans/index.html
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: Gunmaker Remington says it will file for bankruptcy

Lots more where that came from.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Ironic, isn't it? Business boomed when it looked like Hilary was going to win but now that Trump's in office - the guy who promised to increase American jobs - an America gun maker is going bankrupt.
    I rather be American than a Republican.

GUNS IN USA = saturated market (Situation where practically every prospect already has the product (or its substitute) and, thus, it is a replacement market with only a little chance of new sales.)
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

remington is filing bankruptcy b/c they make crappy products and people quit buying them. but, blame trump.... no sense in changing horses now.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    GUNS IN USA = saturated market (Situation where practically every prospect already has the product (or its substitute) and, thus, it is a replacement market with only a little chance of new sales.)
    yes, I can see that. Guns are meant to be taken care of and held onto for years if not generations. Once you saturate the market, how do you continue to sell more?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    remington is filing bankruptcy b/c they make crappy products and people quit buying them. but, blame trump.... no sense in changing horses now.

I don't se how one could blame Trump for Remington's problems. Nor do I think Remington makes a poor product. I have a model 870 and a model 700 and have been happy with both. But I do think the gun market is saturated.
    Skip

I don't se how one could blame Trump for Remington's problems. Nor do I think Remington makes a poor product. I have a model 870 and a model 700 and have been happy with both. But I do think the gun market is saturated.

the 870 and 700 are great. it's all the new JUNK they've been making for the last 10 years. go look up a review on the 770 for starters

Sure 770's aren't great but .... What do you want for $250

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington...8-Win/17474416

Are as many people hunting as used too? When I stop at the gun and tackle place to pick up fishing equipment the only guns that seem to be selling are AR's or auto-pistols.
    Skip

Sure 770's aren't great but .... What do you want for $250

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Remington...8-Win/17474416

Are as many people hunting as used too? When I stop at the gun and tackle place to pick up fishing equipment the only guns that seem to be selling are AR's or auto-pistols.

man, it's getting SO DANG expensive to hunt these days. the hunters i know are dropping 10 times them money i'd be willing to spend to go hunt. the land costs, the feed costs, the equipment costs... TOO HIGH. i laugh at the "$/lb" their meat must be. i bet deer meat is costing them $300/lb

I have a relative who owns a big gun store in NC. He says Obama was a godsend but he knew it was all BS. Business has never been so bad since two scoops. He's getting so desperate that he prays for a "We're gonna come get yer guns" panic.
    The best statement I've seen from this latest carnage came from a student who lived through it -

"My generation will not allow this to continue!"

Remember voting age is 18. Read it and weep reds.

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    I have a relative who owns a big gun store in NC. He says Obama was a godsend but he knew it was all BS. Business has never been so bad since two scoops. He's getting so desperate that he prays for a "We're gonna come get yer guns" panic.
    I can see that! You still here a lot of that panic on YouTube.
    Skip

The major expense is the initial layout for equipment. Once you have been doing it for a few decades the cost is nil.
    man, it's getting SO DANG expensive to hunt these days. the hunters i know are dropping 10 times them money i'd be willing to spend to go hunt. the land costs, the feed costs, the equipment costs... TOO HIGH. i laugh at the "$/lb" their meat must be. i bet deer meat is costing them $300/lb
    The best helping hand you will ever receive is the one at the end of your own arm.

They used to make damn good typewriters.
    IMMIGRANTS BUILT AMERICA - IMMIGRANTS BUILD AMERICA

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    yes, I can see that. Guns are meant to be taken care of and held onto for years if not generations. Once you saturate the market, how do you continue to sell more?
    More Americans, immigration. First you get them there, then you scare them by saying that the rednecks are armed and out to get them, and then they buy more guns to protect themselves…………………easy………………...

Quote Originally Posted by Iceboy View Post
    The major expense is the initial layout for equipment. Once you have been doing it for a few decades the cost is nil.
    In a lot of states especially down south you need to lease the private land you hunt on.

Are Remington just making the wrong sort of guns? Guns designed for hunting humans seem to be selling OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    In a lot of states especially down south you need to lease the private land you hunt on.
    Chris is right, the public land available for hunting is way over crowded (thing shooting gallery). I wouldn't even consider it during deer or turkey season.
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Are Remington just making the wrong sort of guns? Guns designed for hunting humans seem to be selling OK.
    there are dozens and dozens of companies making AR-15 variants.
    Skip

Isn't Remington in the midst of very large Class Action Lawsuit concerning defective triggers on one of their rifles?
    I believe,I read somewhere that a teen in Texas(?) is in prison due to a faulty trigger lock that failed.
    The gun went off and Killed his Brother.
    Seems there were multiple instances of this defect, that weren't as lethal, but cause for concern.
    Remington, refused to address the issue and sought to sue the individuals that had brought the defect to the company's and the Public's attention.

I'm sure this is going to cost them a whole lot of cash, if it hasn't already.
    Malfeasance is expensive, just ask VW.
    Last edited by Barry; 02-13-2018 at 03:09 PM.

Chris is right, the public land available for hunting is way over crowded (thing shooting gallery). I wouldn't even consider it during deer or turkey season.

we have TONS of public lands around here. but most of it doesn't allow hunting. the places that do, you won't catch me out there during deer season. so yeah, the only "good" hunting is private land. and even though land here is "cheap"... well, i guess i'm just poor. or have different priorities.

i have run across a nifty little thing called TVA undeveloped resource areas recently. the TVA set aside about 19k acres of land all across the southeast way back in the 60's i think. it's all over the place in small sections. most of it is hard to get to, so i'm thinking the hunting pressure will be lower. there's a few islands out on the TN river near my house that's TVA land. i pulled up to one last fall and about a dozen does came running off of it into the river to go back to the mainland.

There was a very heavy eight point behind the house the other morning. There is a large herd in the woods around the neighborhood, but we are in the suburbs so hunting is out.
    Skip

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

I didn't know they made guns. I thought they made electric razors. All my guns are Winchester's.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

There was a very heavy eight point behind the house the other morning. There is a large herd in the woods around the neighborhood, but we are in the suburbs so hunting is out.

crossbow man.... CROSSBOW.

I'd rather be fishing anyway!
    Skip

. There is a large herd in the woods around the neighborhood, but we are in the suburbs so hunting is out.
    Henrico?
    Midlothian?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Henrico?
    Midlothian?
    Midlothian // between Midlothian and the city. Right off Powhite Parkway
    Skip

i laughed at the name so i looked it up.... but still don't know if you're SUPPOSED to say 'PO-white' or 'POW-hite'.

i'm going to say PO WHITE no matter what though

i laughed at the name so i looked it up.... but still don't know if you're SUPPOSED to say 'PO-white' or 'POW-hite'.

i'm going to say PO WHITE no matter what though
    The funny thing is no one here can agree, it is pronounced both ways!
    Skip

When I was growing up and the Powhite was first built (early 60's) it was definitely the Po White expressway. Then when I was living in Richmond from 1978 to 1987 the name was officially change to the Pow Hite. You should have heard the DJ's making the traffic reports trying to get it right...

i'll be making it a point to use po-white as much as possible if i visit. that's just hilarious. skip, i really thought it was a self deprecating joke when you typed it. "i live off PO WHITE rd so i can't afford to hunt"

Have you ever watched "the Cleveland Show"?

The fictitious town they live in is called "Stoolbend, Virginia". The writer is from Richmond, you figure it out!
    Skip

While I've certainly heard about the lower quality of some modern Remingtons, I think they (& all gun mfr's) have been hit by substantial drops in sales due to Reps being in charge. However, others are still hanging in there & I think Remington's abysmal handling of the trigger issue has ticked off a lot of people.

Another gun mfr had a "possible" trigger issue on one of their pistols & immediately set up a recall. They handled it so well that it actually improved most people's view of the company. Standing behind your product (especially if it's a gun ) is always good business.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

If it weren't for the fee they can charge to handle FFL transfers from online purchases 75%+ of the gunshops by me would go out of business. A saturated market, stacks of old long guns nobody really wants, and extremely poorly differentiated new product on the market. Not sure even another panic of gun-grabbers will help.

Figured it was Midlothian,. Chock full of Deer.
    I lived at Reeds landing off of Old Gun Rd for a few years and the area was full of deer.
    I don't know if you know Old Gun Rd (Off Huguenot), but it's extremely narrow and curvy.
    Could be nerve wracking to drive at night. Pretty common for Deer strikes at least once a week.

I even have a "Flying Squirrels" ball cap and have been to the "Squirrel's Nest" at the "Diamond" many times.
    I even have an old "Richmond Braves" cap (or what's left of it) from when they were an Atlanta Braves farm team.