Thread: The Mini Robodog From Boston Dynamics Can Now Open Doors to Get Out

Default The Mini Robodog From Boston Dynamics Can Now Open Doors to Get Out

/* Or IN */

The Mini Robodog From Boston Dynamics Can Now Open Doors to Get Out (ARTICLE LINK)

Image: Boston Dynamics

Excerpt
    SpotMini, Boston Dynamics's dog-like quadruped robot, is back, and it's learned a new trick.

The robot, which was unveiled in June 2016 and then updated in November 2017, can now open doors and hold them open.

While opening a door is slightly old hat for a Boston Dynamics robot - Atlas barrelled through a push-bar door two years ago - SpotMini's operation is more fluid.

The robot uses its fifth appendage, an arm mounted essentially where a canine's head would be, to swiftly assess the door, locate and twist the handle, and pull the door open.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: The Mini Robodog From Boston Dynamics Can Now Open Doors to Get Out

The slipping on a banana peel is funny!

I had a Gordon Setter that could open the door. But I never got her to load the dishwasher. Although one time she cleaned a pie plate quiche Lorraine and all with out knocking it off the kitchen table. How she did that is still a head scratcher.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Both the cat and the parrot can open doors.

trippy

It would be great for when salesmen knock on the door.

When I see something like this, it reminds me of a printing press that was in at a shop where I used to work. Mechanical logic went pretty far even before electronics: