Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: More Hartley

Default Re: More Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post

Attachment 27043

Look ma, no clamps!

Now most of you out there have probably done this lots of time and may chuckle at my celebrations, but this is a first for me! And now I just have 11 more pieces to finish the hull (well at least the planking).

Yahoo!

More later,

Eric

The irony is that just 30 seconds ago, while reading another thread, I was thinking about how thrilled I will be when I get to hang that first plank. Imagining how those who've done it, maybe several times, might smile and roll their eyes! But you are exactly right...each new "milestone" deserves it's own celebration. Good for you, keep on keepin' on!

Ken

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

I get a buzz out of having the planking underway. I've only done it a few times, but it's great - you feel 'at last, after all that prep, that you are in fact building a boat that might actually float - and its not that hard'.
    But wait till you turn it over. That's a really great buzz. (For about 5mins, as you digest the work still to be done )
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Hi FL
    The above pic is my hartley ts12... is been literally years since i was actively following this forum and it looks like i need to go back in to the faq page and see how to publish a photo properly. I'm just sending this photo along for information. When i looked in a few weeks ago i noticed your thread and I'm about to start it from the beginning... looks like you are coming along really well. Later gene

The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

Hey there WX... thanks. I remember getting some posts from you almost 10 years ago... closer to 8 i guess... with a picture of your Hartley i believe. Thanks again, but i still need the photo posting training. Gene

Quote Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
    Hey there WX... thanks. I remember getting some posts from you almost 10 years ago... closer to 8 i guess... with a picture of your Hartley i believe. Thanks again, but i still need the photo posting training. Gene
    I used the edit tool on my iPad to rotate it.
    I have thread called Redwing Update if you want to see what I’ve been up to with my Hartley.
    The definition of stupid has got to be the belief that more guns will negate the bloodshed done with guns.

WX Excellent...i shall check it out...thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    I think you made a bit more work than you needed. Gluing the buttstraps between the stringers and chines would have been sufficient but having said that what you have done will be strong.
    Yeah, I've got a bad habit of making easy things a bit more difficult.
    God is great, beer is good and people are crazy.

Billy Currington

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Eric, looking good. A suggestion on screwing down large panels. Start in the center and work out toward the sides and ends. If you do the perimeter first and the ply isn't laying snug against the stringers in the center, either it won't go down when you do get to it or, with lighter ply, it will but you'll have some wavyness. It's kinda like smoothing out a very stiff bedsheet when you fasten a large sheet. You don't want to lock in a high spot between the edges.
    You know Dave, after reading this I went back in the memory banks and tried to recall the exact process. I started at the keelson and worked forward to the stem. But I remembered going partway on the diagonal stringers as I encountered them working down the keelson. So my bonding started at one edge and moved to the other, but I did notice a slight gap from the hull skin to the butt block. Clinching the copper nail s tightened that up but now I'm wondering if that might have distorted other areas?

Hmmm, just another thing to keep my grey matter sparking. Comments like this are the reason I post here, Muchas Gracias Amigo!

Billy Currington

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Looks great mate - nice lines. She'll be heaps of fun.
    Thanks! Fun is the motivating goal. New challenges coming up!

Billy Currington

Must be nice to see that first plank on.
    Gary I can't believe it. While I always thought that I could visualize the hull in 3D while only the ribs were showing, I was impressed by the curved ply and realized I was blind before. I must have spent about an hour just walking around it after finishing the nails. Couldn't keep my hands off of it. I can't imagine what will happen to me when I finish the hull!

So finishing the hull has now been handed a schedule. Work transfer to the other side of the lower 48 has taken over our short term life. My plan, for better or worse, is to drive east with the finished hull (only the finished hull to final paint coat) on a trailer. Yup, from the current state to a finished hull in about 2 1/2 weeks. I hope.

More later,

Eric
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 11-29-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Billy Currington

Quote Originally Posted by gmiller View Post
    Hi FL
    The above pic is my hartley ts12... is been literally years since i was actively following this forum and it looks like i need to go back in to the faq page and see how to publish a photo properly. I'm just sending this photo along for information. When i looked in a few weeks ago i noticed your thread and I'm about to start it from the beginning... looks like you are coming along really well. Later gene
    Greetings Gene,

Thanks for pitching in, especially since you've been down this road and ended up with a super sanitary little dinghy. Your photo's are in my storage as a detail reference, thank you very much.

But with reference to the bold text above, are you considering a new build? "about to start it from the beginning" might indicate that another boat build is around the corner? Perhaps starting this thread from the surfboard photos or??? Looking at your boat photos, I know that I could benefit from your observations and recommendations.

My goal is to learn from my mistakes and perhaps help others as I figure out the details.

P.S.

Way out of the thread topic, this was our breakfast view this morning.

DSCF7466B.jpg
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 12-01-2018 at 02:50 AM.

Billy Currington

So finishing the hull has now been handed a schedule. Work transfer to the other side of the lower 48 has taken over our short term life. My plan, for better or worse, is to drive east with the finished hull (only the finished hull to final paint coat) on a trailer. Yup, from the current state to a finished hull in about 2 1/2 weeks. I hope.
    image4.jpg

When I look at this photo, instead of seeing the overall shape and lines with ply grain as an additive, I'm seeing details that will be addressed with in future work. Why do I keep showing the raw stuff?

Form is beginning to show up, this shot is from several days ago and is a bit behind the times. But the task remains, finish the hull as much as possible, put it on a trailer and head east about 2,500 miles. In December.

I've currently up to having placed 9 out of 12 ply planks. More to get added very soon. with regard to final finish paint, I think that I've selected the color, but maybe not the paint type. Ideas out there for a trailer sailer with budgets?

More later,

Eric
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 12-06-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Billy Currington

Default More Hartley

Hey Eric, there is a paint thread live at the moment that might be worth a read.
    Considering your restraints, waterbased undercoat and waterbased enamel top coat. You can go at it with fancy two pack poly at a later date if you feel the need.

If your colours are not off the shelf, get enough extra to touch up.

Much empathy for your time restrictions.

It would be good if you can glass and paint the hull before you roll.

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Philip K. Dick 'Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away'.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    It would be good if you can glass and paint the hull before you roll.

Best of luck!
    Thanks gypsie, that is my plan, glass and paint. Will be interesting to see how it works out. But this thread is going to take a bit of a diversion in the next couple of weeks. I'm still in the push to finish the plan portrayed above, but then will be a road trip. So that will mean no boat work going on. But what do you need to take your Hartley Trailer Sailer on a road trip with? A trailer!

trailer.jpg

More later,

Eric

Billy Currington

image4.jpg

When I look at this photo, instead of seeing the overall shape and lines with ply grain as an additive, I'm seeing details that will be addressed with in future work. Why do I keep showing the raw stuff?

Form is beginning to show up, this shot is from several days ago and is a bit behind the times. But the task remains, finish the hull as much as possible, put it on a trailer and head east about 2,500 miles. In December.

I've currently up to having placed 9 out of 12 ply planks. More to get added very soon. with regard to final finish paint, I think that I've selected the color, but maybe not the paint type. Ideas out there for a trailer sailer with budgets?

More later,

Eric
    Looking good but what happened with that starboard bow bottom plank?

Looking good but what happened with that starboard bow bottom plank?
    You mean these?

DSCF7508.jpg

Been hard at work, arrived at this status a couple of days ago, here is what has been going on since then.

Shaping and sanding.

DSCF7510.jpg

Seal coat of epoxy before glass.

DSCF7519.jpg

More soon,

Eric

Billy Currington

Greetings all,

Next step in my plan is to get the glass installed, had ordered 60" wide assuming it would be wide enough for a longitudinal fabric lay direction. That didn't seem to work so it so I changed the layout plan. Figured I'd deal with transitions with some rough grit.

DSCF7521.jpg

This layout was certainly easier to work with than the original idea.

Anyway, midway product.

DSCF7531.jpg

Laying fiberglass onto a wood structure is semi-similar to herding cats. One stroke may result in a perfect outcome, while the same stroke in a different situation may end up with iodine and band aids! An evening inspection shows me that I am nowhere near the planned schedule.

Original plan was to lay another coat of epoxy above the first coat. I do have some fabric weave showing in some areas and would really like to cover them up to give some sanding room. So I definitely view this second coat as a necessity. My problem is time.

To do the best thing for all would be to forgo the second epoxy coat, and the first coat of hull paint. But I need to load the boat onto the trailer and head east in 3 days.

So here is the question!

• Will 1 month of UV exposure on epoxy create adverse situations? The real question is do I trailer this hull across the nation in the winter with just epoxy/fiberglass exposed on the hull, leaving it open for future shaping, or do I slap a coat of paint on to protect the epoxy for this temporary situation? What do you think? Second coat of epoxy or a first coat of paint?

I need to get this hull to the east coast. Not much time to do the task, but would sure appreciate any suggestions. Let me know what your thoughts are!

More later,

Eric
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 12-10-2018 at 03:13 AM.

Billy Currington

I would not paint it yet.

Move the boat , cover with black blastic or tarps to protect it from contamination and UV exposure , until you can saturate ( fill ) the weave of the glass with more epoxy.

Wash the hull thoroughly with water to remove any amine blush before you apply more epoxy.

If you cant put another epoxy coat on it, just wrap it up. Dont even think about putting paint on it, unless its epoxy based. You really do not want any dry spots or places where moisture might get sucked in, if its going into storage for some time.

I agree, just wrap it up in a plastic coccoon until you're ready to get back to work on it.
    -Dave

Thanks beam reach, skaraborgcraft and Dave,

I appreciate your input, it always helps! Now to find some labor to help me get it off the stock, rolled right side up and onto the trailer.

More later,

Eric

Billy Currington

If the inside is near done it might be worth considering a coat of epoxy in there. But replace some framing to keep the shape!
    If its going to be in storage indefinitely - what climate?

What say others? Danger of delamination from humid/dry cycles....?

(I hate that kind of input myself - just more problems when what you want is solutions! Sorry - ignore if too hard.)

Any chance of any work when you arrive?

Looks GORGEOUS!!
    You must be stoked.

PS - as of now you have a boat - it'll float!

I should clarify, wrap it up for transport, but if it's in storage you'll want ventilation.
    -Dave