X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FishoutaFlorida
    • Jan 2017

More Hartley

Greetings and Salutations all!

Let me introduce myself as a long time lurker and occasional bilge participant with absolutely zero boatbuilding experience. Just to clear all questions about my boatbuilding capabilities.

But I have built a hollow wood surfboard!

DSC_0070.jpg

Good looking, but a log to ride. It did keep me riding while ding repair was being applied to my go to ride so it has value beyond the wall display it is currently providing.

Anyway, as a result of an epiphany decision I decided to build a sailboat. One that I could enjoy the build, afford the build and handle the build once we met in the water.

Lots of neat happenings went into this decision and I hope that you folks may inquire about as I tell the story. Just to provide a glimpse, while building the hollow wood surfboard in 1/2 of the garage, I had a visit from my future son-in-law. Warm evening, working with cedar, Dead on the victrola with a single malt nearby and he asks for our daughter's hand in marriage and tells me why he is the one. Wow.

Anyway, time flies and as a result of a lot of sunspots on our journey, we end up in San Antonio TX. Fantastic culture, great food, wonderful Mariachi bands and absolutely no surf to be found. Modified surfboard design to paddle board status and tried to find CNC contractors who could cut me 5 boards of ribs for a conceptual production run. Met some great craftsman, but all unable to make it work.

So, lets build a sailboat!

Again, lots skimmed over regarding details to get to this point, maybe they will come up in the future.

So the story starts in SAT with my promise to restrain occupancy to 1/2 of the garage.

DSCF6266.jpg

More to follow, please excuse my intermittent posting, lack of detail and terms, and persistent lack of accountability.

Enjoy,

Eric
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 03-22-2018, 12:00 AM.
    “Perpetual optimism is a force to live by.”

Colin Powell
  • WX
    Uki NSW Australia
    • Feb 2002

Re: Another Hartley's 14' Trailer Sailer Build

Watch this space eh?
    Welcome.
    Without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
      • Jan 2017

Greetings all,

So there I am in SAT and am looking for Doug Fir for the frame of this little plywood sailboat. Not an easy adventure. But I finally found a place that had some...at $25/bf!

Wowser! This stuff was recycled, about 25 rings/inch, would make a great guitar face, but was completely unusable for a sailboat. But I did finally find some Southern Yellow Pine and brought out the plans and tools!

DSCF6269.jpg

Colin Powell

Comment

• Rich Jones
        What boat to build next?
        • Apr 2009

I'll be following!
        I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
        Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
          • Jan 2017

I hope that it is worth it Rich.

One thing that I didn't discuss earlier was how I chose a Hartley.

After deciding that sailboat building was going to be my next project, which boat would I build? A sloop? cat? Perhaps a Yawl? Well not knowing how to sail and my sailing experience being an afternoon with a hobie cat, a 51' Beneteau in Cabo and a lot of reading, I didn't have too many requirements:

1. needs to fit in my garage,
          2. needs to live on a trailer,
          3. needs to be built of wood,
          4. needs to have a little cubby,
          5. needs to have a history of service.

So I looked at D5's, Melonseed, and even a puddle duck. But I liked the looks of the Hartley, loved the long history, not too sure about plywood construction and a long life, but all in all, the Hartley 14' trailer sailer was the one for me. Then I started to look for stories of building Hartley's, found several, but this one by Geary was what really helped me out. But that Melonseed looks like a fun build too.

<font color="white">&amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp &amp;nbsp </font> <h3>And, you can click <a href="http://forum.woodenboat.com/forumdisplay.php?12-Archived-Reference-Threads">Archived Reference Threads</a></h3>

I read this several times, copied construction photo's, and thoroughly enjoyed his working out all of the challenges that he came across. After reading of his troubles obtaining Hartley 14' Trailer Sailer plans from NZ, I sent my money to ClarkCraft.com and got them a week later. I spent a lot of time reading the plans and working things through in my head and got super confused. But after reading Geary's posts, I came to realize that the Hartley plans were more of a suggestion than a rule. Once I got that clear, everything became clear, time to start building!

More later,

Enjoy,

Eric
          Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 03-22-2018, 12:04 AM.

Colin Powell

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
            • Jan 2017

Absolutely WX, but be sure to read my last sentence in #1.

And thanks for the welcome, it took quite awhile to get my gumption going for this.

Enjoy,

Eric
            Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM.

Colin Powell

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
              • Jan 2017

Greetings all,

So in the name of "transparency" which used to be called truth, I need to share some facts with all of you.

I started this build in 2015 plus or minus, decided early that I would start a thread on this build at some point in time but didn't have a precise schedule for it. The build started in SAT, finished frames but believing that a change in work locations was looming I bundled the frames together and waited for the moving van. As predicted, job changes, location changes and we head west for Redondo Beach.

After settling in and making sure that I could abide by my 1/2 garage commitment, I built a building stock and re-started the build.

But lets start at the beginning.

DSCF6270.jpg

Using bum wad to copy the full size prints to the wood, I was able to pick and choose grain orientation and mark out frame pieces. Cut all of the pieces at one time (actually several days worth of cutting) and stored them together. Tried to cut close but on the outside. Since I am writing this portion from the future, one thing that I was concerned about did indeed come back to bite me. The cut outs for the stringers in the frame were cut at this time in my build. Better way to cut them would be to mark both sides of the frame pieces and then cut after mounting in the building stock which would allow you to account for bevel of the stringers when you make the cut in the frames. Need to account for the frame width on the cuts.
              DSCF6279.jpg

Back to present tense. There were a lot of pieces to cut and I was up for the task.

DSCF6283.jpg

Now it's time to assemble the frames.

Funny how repetitive tasks with wood can while away the hours...

Enjoy,

Eric

Colin Powell

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
                • Jan 2017

Greetings all,

From the photo's in my last post you can see that I used bum wad to transfer the full size plans to the wood. Spent quite a bit of time selecting the right wood for the right part, at least as I saw it at the time. After cutting up the pieces of the frames it was time to put them together. So I built a table, put the full size plans on and covered them with saran wrap, used wax paper as an additional protector of the plans.

DSCF6297.jpg

DSCF6304.jpg

One thing that I wondered about was the bevel of the notches in the frames for chines and stringers. But that didn't keep me from cutting them straight.

DSCF6284.jpg

This proved to be a problem when it came time to install chines and stringer.

OK, full disclosure, I started this project about 3 years ago in SAT, since then we have moved to Redondo Beach. Still not finished, but wanted to get this underway and catch up.

The problem that I brought on myself was in the forward frames, the angle of the chines was not a 90 degree and now I have to figure out a way to fix it through a backdoor. What I should have done is to mark the frames and wait to cut them until the frames where set in the building stock and measured the angle. Note to self, next time I think I should dig deeper...do it.

DSCF6313.jpg

Enjoy,

Eric

Colin Powell

Comment

• Ando56
                  • Dec 2012

I'm very close to finishing my Hartley 18. Started with zero experience and learnt heaps along the way. You will enjoy the experience. Good luck.

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
                    • Jan 2017

Thanks Ando, I appreciate your good wishes!

How long till you splash yours?

Colin Powell

Comment

• asrainox
                      • Jul 2011

i built a hartley ts16 as my first build - was good!

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
                        • Jan 2017

Hey asrainox!

Glad to hear that, wished I had a bigger garage, ts16 was my first choice.

OK, back to frame construction. Using the full size plans (thank you for that Hartley) I set about assembling frames from pieces cut earlier.

DSCF6312.jpg

Prep for epoxy glue mission. First time that I used whole wheat flour as thickener...very nice. Also want to comment on the use of 1:1 epoxy mixes, much less sensitive to measurement errors and has been working for me in a variety applications. No blush observed, but maybe I missed it. Got the epoxy from the same place as the plans.

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6567.jpg

So now all of the basic frames have been completed. I chose to cover all with 1 coat of epoxy. future plans include all painted, no bright. Well may a bright transom if I find some spectacular wood.

But then again, this boat is not about spectacular wood, it's about getting me sailing in a reasonable time frame.

DSCF6772.jpg

Rasp doing it's job on the stem.

Enjoy,

Eric
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 02-16-2018, 01:04 AM.

Colin Powell

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
                          • Jan 2017

Thanks Fred!

Glen-L was a huge source of information and dreaming material for me to get started. But now that I am building, WBF seems to be the best source of feedback for me.

DSCF6779.jpg

Enjoy,

Eric

Colin Powell

Comment

• Ando56
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by FishoutaFlorida
                            Thanks Ando, I appreciate your good wishes!

How long till you splash yours?
                            I'd like to say about 3 months but considering I started it 5 years ago thinking it would take me 2 - 3 years... who knows

Comment

• FishoutaFlorida
                              • Jan 2017

Yeah I've got to believe that there is a reason that I'm not predicting dates...bad juju.

Lots of pieces to cut, this SYP seems to fairly similar to DF in strength so I'm happy about that substitution. Anyway, cut wide with a jig saw and work hard to get down to the line.

DSCF6286.jpg

oops.

Here is putting the plans together. They are full size 1/2 plan so I printed one as a mirror, taped them together and now had a full width of all of the frames.

DSCF6303.jpg

Wrapped it up in saran wrap, put beams behind it to take out the plywood bending and mounted it on my work table.

DSCF6306.jpg

Then it started getting messy.

DSCF6290.jpg

Frame assembly was to screw the frame pieces into place, make sure all fits well (trimming, sanding then gluing.

DSCF6315.jpg

Fun stuff! More later.

Enjoy,

Eric

Colin Powell

Comment

Working...