Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8171819 LastLast

Thread: More Hartley

Default Re: More Hartley

Coming along very nicely.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Thanks for the info Bbg! I think that I'll make a mast step out of...wood and then go from there. Not sure how I feel about drilling a hole in the mast, so maybe I won't. There sure are a lot of different yet similar mast designs out there. Now I need to figure out how to rig/find/conjure up a gooseneck fitting...

Gary, thanks for the kind words. More than anything else has lately, the overall effect of getting that paint on it (even if it was just primer) is huge! Every time I look at it in the garage or even just the photos, I'm saying WOW to myself.
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Good decision to cut back on the varnish.
    Almost there!
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Good decision to cut back on the varnish.
    Absolutely right about that! Onward!

So I've started to paint the topside. Using Wet Edge for vertical and "covered" surfaces and Total Tread for the horizontal surfaces, both are TotalBoat products. Haven't gotten to the Total Tread yet.

IMG_5778.jpg

Will be masking all edges to leave a topside border around the non-skid stuff. Both are the same color.

IMG_5779.jpg

I'm hoping that two coats will do the job. The photo above was taken right after the second coat. May need to come back and detail some areas before I start masking for the non-skid. This stuff really needs their own thinning product or xylene for clean up. Cleaning the primer with mineral spirits was a complete disaster. I knew that I needed to be applying this thin. Used a 3/16" foam cover roller and thought that I was staying within limits, but some of the areas where I brushed took a couple of days to cure. I thinned the mix by about 10% since it was 90 degrees (F) out.

One of the things that I tried to do on this project was to buy my all my wood at one time. I did that about 2 moves ago when we were in Redondo Beach. Found a HUGE box store that actually knew how to pronounce Clear Vertical Grain Doug Fir and bought all my lumber and the ply there. Carted it from SoCal to Charlotte NC and then down here. This is what I've got left.

IMG_5776.jpg

Some of the white oak in the foreground is from a friend who gets his wood from pallets and gave me some. I've been doing a lot of laminating with the remaining wood and still have a boom to build so I might end up a little light on the boards. Or I might just get into a lot of scarfing! We'll see. Whatever works out, I'm glad there is not a single piece of junk wood wood anywhere in this boat, and am proud of how close my original purchase was to the actual total used. Even more glad that I found Ganahl Lumber. I don't work for them, nor am I paid for this statement.

I do know another Floridian who practices/enjoys this art, but are there any others who work up a material estimate and go with it? Or does the majority just go get it when they need it? I'm curious, let me know!

But I also know that I've got a lot of ply scraps that won't make it into this boat. Hmmm...

More later.

Thanks,

Eric
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

I have mostly bought as I needed.
    The exception is where I need to work large amounts first, like a million strips for a strip build.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I have mostly bought as I needed.
    You know Trev, with lumber prices the way they are, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't do now what I did back then.

Michael Bennett

Greetings,

Hope all are safe, well and in the right spot for the time being. I think that I'd like to be a little further along in the boat, but some progress is being made.

Continued working on the rudder that was started back in CA I think. But I've got some pintles and gudgeons so I decided to start back on it. I had drilled oversize holes and filled them with thickened epoxy, but hadn't drilled and assembled them to date. That's what I started out with. Interesting clamping to get it together and in the right spot.

IMG_5806.jpg

No problems.

IMG_5805.jpg

I dry fitted them together, cut the pivot boat to the right length, sealed them with all with epoxy, light sanding and then glued the cheeks and spacer together with thickened epoxy. Set them all back by the wall where they'll wait till I'm ready to do some metalwork. Oh boy.

Anyway the majority of the work done lately has been primering the topside, painting the horizontal pieces and putting down non-skid on the places where required. Using some techniques from a fellow forumite down in South Florida, I decided to put a couple coats of topside paint adjacent to where I was using the non-skid, tape over them with an 18 mm masking tape and hopefully get a somewhat classy finish. In spite of the nails, screws, bumps and gash's...

IMG_5813.jpg

And that was the rest of the past couple of days, with one coat a day, 16 hours dry/cure between them. Today I got finished with the last coat of non-skid. yahoo! Now I can wait for a bit before i remove the masking tape and see what I've got left to do. Boring photo of paint, masking and oopsies doesn't do too much for me, so I'll spare you.

Some folks may have detected my angst regarding adapting a 20' aluminum mast to the Hartley. Mostly trying to figure out what kind of boat the mast came from so I could get the right parts, like the mast step and gooseneck fitting. So I've been all over the internet (came within a kilometer of it at one point in time) until I was able to find some old mast production drawings, hand drawn. Compared them to my mast and found a gooseneck that looked like it would fit. With no better options visible to me I sent off $8 plus shipping and today it came.

IMG_5815.jpg

This is a gooseneck for the 14'/16' Hobie Cat. So this seems to be a mast for the 14' Hobie. I am a super happy guy now. I think my questions about how to step and rig this mast have been answered. To a certain degree anyway.

So I've got that going for me.

Which...well you know the rest.

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

Greetings!

Well the topside paint in done, the non-skid paint is finished and I've got very little left to do to get out on the water. Other than rigging the mast, building a boom, finding some sails, detail painting in the cockpit, rigging the running lines, cut and install the windows, painting and installing the rudder, repainting the hull above and below the waterline...

Anyway.

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

No doubt that it's a 20/20 paint job, but it's my 20/20 paint job!

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

That's one good looking 20/20 paint job! I really like the color combination with the brightwork!

Hello Eric,

WOW!

It's great to see you going gangbusters on your beautiful build. We're fans of using "leftovers" by scarfing, laminating and repurposing in lieu of buying new - so we salute and commend your efforts.

The hull and deck work is outstanding as is your color scheme; a color combo we believe to be "comforting" and pleasing. . . as sailing should be!

So here is the curiosity question we've been asking forum posters this week. . . what's her name?

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    That's one good looking 20/20 paint job! I really like the color combination with the brightwork!
    Thanks for the compliment Hugh! I'm told that the brightwork will be a PIA, but we'll see. The colors may be a bit close to duck colors, but I won't let that bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapiteinterzee View Post
    Hello Eric,

WOW!

It's great to see you going gangbusters on your beautiful build. We're fans of using "leftovers" by scarfing, laminating and repurposing in lieu of buying new - so we salute and commend your efforts.

The hull and deck work is outstanding as is your color scheme; a color combo we believe to be "comforting" and pleasing. . . as sailing should be!

So here is the curiosity question we've been asking forum posters this week. . . what's her name?

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    I certainly appreciate your kind words Joe!

With regard to naming her, I may or may not have a name for her. It needs to fit her style, composition and owner's proclivities. My thought is to let her remain at "the boat" until we get to splash her.

But then again I may choose to change my mind on that matter.

More later.

Thanks again!

Eric

Michael Bennett

Greetings all!

Long time no see! I've mostly completed all of the house remodeling so I'm back on the boat!

To bring everyone up to speed, I'm looking for some HELP!

Back on Post #602 I mentioned that I thought that the mast was from a Hobie 14/16 because the gooseneck for the Hobie 14/16 fit the mast. I even found old drawings of the Hobie 14/16 mast section and felt pretty good about the mast's background. Even bought a mast foot and step for a Hobie 14/16, used of course. But when I went to check it out.

DSCF8553.jpg

It didn't fit. The mast isn't from a Hobie. Right? The guy I bought it from didn't know where it came from. But he did have these to go with the mast.

DSCF8555.jpg

They fit in the mast slot and I believe are used with hanks to attach the sail luff to the mast. Right? Does anyone have any idea of how I can find out where this mast came from? If so, speak up please! Here are a couple of other mast shots to help out. I can always take more too.

Mast1.jpg

Too many photo's so I'll emulate another forumer's presentation method. Thanks Joe.

Any here are the descriptions:

1. This is the top of the mast with two small main halyard blocks, one on the forward side and the other on the aft side of the mast.
    2. As we go down the mast, here is a shackle for the forestay.
    3. Just a bit further down is a shackle for the shrouds and a block for the jib.
    4. Down at the bottom of the mast. There is a cleat installed in the slot and another on the side of the mast that are kind of hard to see in this picture.

More photo's

Mast2.jpg

5. Here is a view of the section of the mast.
    6. This is a J/24 Mast Step, shape looks right, but dimensions? On top of that it's $155!
    7. The Hartley 14 Mast Step plan.

OK, for those that have made it this far, here are some questions.

How can I find out what type of mast this is?

Can I cut the bottom of the mast to match to bottom of the design mast and use the design step?

The design mast has a diamond stay, but this mast doesn't appear to have had one. Do I need a diamond stay?

I've got all sorts of other questions, but these are the big ones. The reason I've got these problems is that I decided that getting this aluminum mast would hasten my splashing. I could then take time to find the right wood for a wood boom and mast. Maybe I should sell the mast and stuff and just build the wood mast?
    As you can see, I've gotten myself into an analysis/paralysis condition and I'd really appreciate some input help me out!!!

More later,

Thanks.

Eric

Michael Bennett

Hi Eric,
    Looking good! On the mast, I'd look here: https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon...ast%20Sections to see if you can identify the section for sure. That'd be a good place to start. It does look like a Kenyon section so you should be able to find some data on it. Were it mine, I'd saw that old step off there, build a hardwood plug for the inside and shape the whole thing to fit the original step system. Run the hardwood a few inches past where the slot for the step is, bevel the top aft with a drain hole and leave a flange for the mast to rest on so the loads are borne by the wood. That way if you decide to build a wood mast later you're already set up for it. Or, as you say, sell that to a multihuller and use the funds for some nice spruce. The Hartley info on SailboatData doesn't show jumpers and the rig I see there doesn't look like it'd really need them. I'd have to see your plans to see why they feel they're needed.

Hey Hugh!

Thanks for the reference, it looks like the Kenyon C-6 has the right dimensions. The only exception being the sail slugs for the C-6 are 3/8" and the ones that came with the mast are 1/2". I'm pretty sure that would be no problem.

My second question above was the method I was leaning toward, but I like the idea of a wood plug to match the Hartley design. Perhaps with some DF though. It's almost a hardwood and resists rot so... But I like the idea, thanks. That way I don't have to wonder if the C-6 step was really going to fit. My mast is smaller than the wood design (2.83" X 2.15") which is good for this option.

I've added some of the drawings for your general info.

Mast5.jpg

I've marked up the design detail for the mast step to show you my understanding of your suggestion. Basically, get a piece of good wood conforming to the lower foot or so of the design detail and then carve down the upper portion to fit the inside of the mast as tightly as possible. Perhaps send a bolt through the aluminum and wood to keep everything together. And include the drain hole in the wood. In the markup I showed a trough for the mast to fit into, but the more I think about it, the less I want to do that. Any more thoughts Hugh? Thanks for the ones you've already given me!

Not sure about jumpers either. Their is no sign of the mast having one in the past, so I think that I'll just keep going without it.

Thanks again!

More later.

Eric

Michael Bennett

Cool! Glad that gave you what you needed Your mast step idea is pretty much what I had in mind. I had an old Merit 25 that had a bad step so I whittled one out some teak I had laying around and it worked fine. As far as the jumpers go, I think I'd try it without first and if the mast looks wobbly you can add them in later. A through bolt to keep it all together should be all you need, as the loads will all be in compression and into the bottom wood bit. I think a shoulder would be better than a trough just to prevent a moisture trap and, frankly, the trough would be beyond my meager woodworking skills

Greetings all!

Boat work has increased lately due to completing a wide variety of household renovations and improvements.

Anyway, my use of an aluminum mast with a rectangular wood mast step continues.

DSCF8565.jpg

So I laminated and trimmed a hunk of DF to the size of the base of the mast per drawings and transferred the inner outline of the mast to the wood. By the way, the mast section size was the first instance of conflict in the Hartley drawings. Naturally I went with the largest one. After lining up the template, and transferring it to the wood, I started carving.

DSCF8567.jpg

The idea here is to build a transition from the aluminum mast section to the wood mast section per the drawings. I've been very careful with carvings, taking heed to advice to "sneak up" to the correct dimension.

DSCF8569.jpg

OK. I think. The foot is tight and appears to be square. I'll need to use that as a criteria when I detail the bottom of the foot. But I'm glad I've got this far! Now I need to shape the bottom of the mast to match the design profile.

DSCF8571.jpg

I've drawn in the design final profile on the wood and just started in shaping it when I realized I should record it. As it turns out, design modifications may have been made in the profile while carving. I still need to drill a drainage hole and give it an epoxy coat as well as other details.

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

NICE! Much like what I did on my old Merit only it was a plastic boat, so I used UHMW (seemed appropriate).

Hello Eric,

We're very happy to see your flurry of activity, Eric. Tally-ho!

The mast step looks great. . . all we can add to your design is to suggest that you make a very light arc from the edges to the center to where you drill the water drainage hole.

Oh, and by the way - use penetrating epoxy to give the wood a chance at longevity.

Stay safe, stay healthy.

J.
    "Ships are the nearest thing to dreams that hands have ever made." Robert N. Rose

Greetings all,

Thanks Hugh, I even enjoyed carving it too!

Great minds think alike Joe! I drilled down in the forward portion of the plug and took the shortest route out to daylight. When applying epoxy, the first thing I did was plug the lower hole and fill it up with epoxy, vibrated and stuck a needle in there to vent it out. Took off the tape and drained it back into the cup and spread it all over the plug.

DSCF8574.jpg

Now on to the ports/windows. I'm using 1/8" Tinted Acrylic so I started off, getting the port/window outline.

IMG_5929.jpg

Added 1 1/2" all around the window and transferred that outline to the acrylic.

IMG_5930.jpg

Then cut out the larger shape. Jig saw with blade for metal materials and went very slowly.

IMG_5932.jpg

What's next? Not sure but I'll be working on it tomorrow.

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

Greetings!

Not too much going on in assembly right now. I've been perusing the catalogs and have ordered about 95% of the running rigging and at least 75% of the standing rigging. With completion of the mast heel, now I'm working on the mast step.

DSCF8578.jpg

I cut out the side plates from 1/2" ply, drilled oversize holes and filled them with thickened epoxy.

DSCF8581.jpg

Slapped the two together, re-measured everything and drilled the 3/8" for the bolt. Not much visible gain, but I'm still gaining!

DSCF8582.jpg

Speaking of small gains, here is another one using some old baseball bats and a piece of the house demo prior to renovation. One of the bats is a bat that my dad gave me and the other is one that I got for my son. They were just collecting dust and getting in the way, so I thought that they would be much more beneficial as companionway grips.

Unfortunately work on the remodeled bathroom turned into a hurricane today when I unearthed another electrical problem. Replaced the GVCI, no power, no joy. So now I'll have to bring in someone who knows what they are doing. Now I need to solve this issue.

DSCF8583.jpg

So I stacked up the pieces for the next day's work. Whenever that may be...

More later.

Thanks!

Eric

Michael Bennett

Looks good, but there's always something​, isn't there !?!

Always! Just got back from the left coast for our nieces wedding. 2nd wedding actually, the first was a year ago but the virus prevented anyone from attending. So they had another when folks could travel. Nice to find some heat without the humidity of FL and Rancho Las Lomas is a beautiful venue.

My boat time lately has been spent down in the weeds with the details. As major construction turns into the final touches, my next big challenge is rigging the boat. With the use of a different than design mast, I'm kind of on my own. Present company excepted of course.

Actual progress has been limited, but I got some stuff done.

DSCF8594.jpg

The mast step is now ready for final sanding and painting. I couldn't find a 5" 3/8" SS bolt at the local box, so I used a slightly shorter one to keep things aligned during assembly. Had to order what I needed online. I should buy some stock in Fed Ex or UPS...

Anyway to get some information/instruction regarding rigging sailboats I got a copy of The Complete Rigger's Apprentice by Brion Toss and have been reading it when I can. To echo others. This is a great source of information presented with actual experiences to illustrate. I've only just begun to dig into it and believe it will be a big part of finishing off the Harley.

I've decided to us Quick Attach terminations on the shrouds and forestay. I think it will help me make better measurements as to where to cut the wire and will look better than standard cable crimps. I haven't ordered these yet but will be doing that this week.

I tackled running rigging size, type and quantities, and used a spreadsheet to order. Basically all 1/4" with 3/8"anchor and dock lines. That order should be delivered sometime this week. Kind of getting ahead of myself, but maybe that will motivate me see it stacked in the corner.

Big item purchase was a 2.5 hp outboard. Distributors kept on running out of them, but I finally got an order in on Friday. Not sure when it will be delivered.

Next items of construction will be the chain plates, mast step and shroud and forestay measurement.

More later,

Thanks.

Eric
    Last edited by FishoutaFlorida; 08-01-2021 at 04:18 PM.

Michael Bennett

Greetings,

Lots of small things going on, but they all enable big things.

How about the tiller and rudder? The rudder pieces were constructed some time ago, but the tiller has only recently been assembled and was waiting for shaping.

DSCF8604.jpg

Kind of hard to take a good photo of a stick, but there it is. Laminated DF to build up the piece and then have at it with a Shinto blade and lots of sandpaper. Then epoxy. Then paint.

Using primer for the topcoat product.

DSCF8606.jpg

And more of the deck topcoat.

DSCF8609.jpg

This stuff takes forever to cure, so I will need to leave them alone for a couple of days. Then flip and do the other side. Repeat.

Maybe the most exciting part of this week was FedEx on Thursday.

DSCF8607.jpg

So I had to do a quick build stand. Unit was delivered upside down.

More later,

Thanks!

Eric

Michael Bennett

Greetings,

Kind of a big day around here today, the bat handles are in! Not too sure what handholds on a sailboat bulkhead are called. So the bat handles are glued and screwed in!

DSCF8610.jpg

At least the supports are anyway... I was planning on using some old DF plugs that I had, but soon realized that I had do better than that!

DSCF8611.jpg

So I retrieved bat remnants and cut me some bat plugs! Out of bats! How cool is that?

DSCF8615.jpg

Tomorrow I'll trim the bat plugs, sand it back to where it should be and then epoxy/varnish the plug. It may be stupid, but I'm liking them!

Another item that has been occupying my grey matter is the standing rigging for the non-standard mast. And sails. And the rudder. But not the bat handles!

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

I think those are extremely cool, Eric! I love using "found items" in unusual applications. A friend of mine just found an old Ranger 11 and the tiller is a Louisville Slugger.

Like it.

This is one of my favorite build threads here. Your documentation of figuring things out along the way is really helpful for thinking about how a larger building project might unfold.

Love it, looks terrific.

Greetings all,

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. Any kind of feedback is awesome!

One of my mantras in my past career was "Do the toughest job first". I'd look through all that I had to accomplish and pick the toughest one first. The one that I really don't want to do. Just do it. In this case, the task that I was avoiding was installation of the chain plates. I had cut them originally when my BIL was down and he brought a great big saw. But that is 16 GA SS 316 and the saw is gone. So I laid out the holes on the plates and figured out how to do the job on my drill press. Ready to install right?

DSCF8618.jpg

Nope, its hard to see, but the distance from the top of the hole to the end of the plate is larger that the space available on the rigging jaws. Then got out my 3" Harbor Freight air saw and another grinder (& safety glasses) and took out my frustrations on the chain plates. Used a fine file to take care of all the sharp edges and test fit them all. OK.

Now I got a chance to use my new multi purpose vibrating whachamacallit to cut a hole for the chain plate through the decking. Wasn't sure how it was going to go but only one way to find out.

DSCF8620.jpg

Things started out well, but when the cutting blade fell off, I knew something was off.

DSCF8621.jpg

Once I tightened the blade up, it actually went kind of fast. The shrouds were cut through about 2" of DF and the forestay was only two thicknesses of ply.

DSCF8625.jpg

All in all, I felt good about dealing with dragons (things I don't like to do) by just sticking to it until you get it done. There's always another dragon around the corner so just get used to it. Upcoming drag...err tasks include measuring the standing rigging and building it. After that I need to build a boom and measure for sails. Wahoo! Apologies for the facts of life commentary. I was used to working as a part of a team, with all sorts of individual qualities. I think moving from a team environment to a solo builder has challenged me in interesting ways.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll figure out the backplate for these plates and go about getting that out of the way. Maybe even have time to install the mast step. Could be, maybe.

More later.

Thanks,

Eric

Michael Bennett

Nice! Oscillating saws are kinda fun, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    Nice! Oscillating saws are kinda fun, aren't they?
    Yeah Hugh, once I got my operational issues sorted! But then it cut like there was no tomorrow. Another successful chapter in "Educating Eric"!! And there is a tomorrow!

Today, the mast step had finally cured it's last coat of topside paint and I was ready to install that puppy.

DSCF8627.jpg

I found and marked the boats CL as well as the mast step. I also had to cut back the front of the step to match the windscreen slope. Then I needed to figure out a clamping program.

DSCF8633.jpg

I think that this will work and was why I haven't installed the windows yet. The attachment method for the step will be to bed it in a healthy supply of 3M 5200 and then use 1 3/4" #10 Bronze screws from below. 8 of them all told.

DSCF8635.jpg

Process worked well, did need some help setting that forward clamp layout but it worked! Now screwing in the attachments from below wasn't the easiest task. The garage was 92 f and felt like 120,000 f. But it got done!

DSCF8638.jpg

Decided to bow to the heat after almost finishing everything, need to bring back a blade or two tomorrow and clean this up.

I think tomorrow may be dedicated to cutting and planning boards for trim around the bulkhead door. In addition I should also try to attach the 2 shrouds and forestay chain plates. Will definitely need to go through my fastener inventory to see if I've got what I need or am going to have to go out and find them. Yahoo!

More later.

Thanks!

Eric

Michael Bennett

Cool Re: More Hartley

Quote Originally Posted by FishoutaFlorida View Post
    I think that this will work and was why I haven't installed the windows yet.
    When I was reading this, I saw it didn't really make sense without this shot.

DSCF8631.jpg

I used the top of the window openings as a bearing for my garage build clamp for the front part of the step.

Carry on.

Michael Bennett

The photo helps.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The photo helps.

Sometimes I have these great discussions with myself about what to write. Translating them to the rest of the world still seems to be a challenge to me, but this is a great venue for that goal. Anyway, onward.

DSCF8642.jpg

So my idea of trading cleaning uncured 5200 right after application, for a sharp blade later may not have been my best idea. But it was hot!!! I was ready to take cover in the AC world away from the heat. A bit later, it did cool down a bit.

DSCF8643.jpg

Once again, the "Educating Eric" principles apply as I did a better job on the other side of the mast step. I believe that I'll still be painting over the 5200 here.

That was yesterday, today I went into production mode.

DSCF8644.jpg

Turning pallets with rough slabs into finely planed trim and a lot of sawdust. This material will be used in the cockpit and around the companionway entrance. So planing and ripping was the name of the game today. Decided that we could use some mulch material and tossed the debris to the side yard.

Tomorrow tasks will be to drill hull holes for the chain plates and bolt them down.

Yahoo!

More later,

Thanks!

Eric

Michael Bennett

YAHOO! Make sure you seal the raw edges well with 'poxy