Page 1 of 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: New Presidential Portrait

Default New Presidential Portrait

A new portrait of Former President Obama has been unveiled. It is by the artist Kehinde Wiley. I doubt it will be to everyone's taste but I love it.

One of Kehinde's, Willem van Heythuysen paintings is in the permanent collection at The Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (VMFA). It is a massive painting 96" x 72" seeing it on a computer screen does not do it justice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kehinde_Wiley

Willem van Heythuysen

The VMFA had the honor and privilege to host a traveling exhibit of Wiley's work last year.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: New Presidential Portrait

To give scale to some of Wiley's paintings

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

I like the portrait bits, but the wallpaper background not so much. But what do I know? I just draw boats.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Symbolism Carnation I think (upper left) represents Chicago, Jasmine and hyacinth Hawaii and Africa!

There is one of herself as well

by Amy Sherald. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43036228
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I like Michelle's portrait too, but I don't know anything about the artist.
    Skip

I like it-wonder what he'd make of Trumpy?

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    A new portrait of Former President Obama has been unveiled. It is by the artist Kehinde Wiley. I doubt it will be to everyone's taste but I love it.

Not very flattering. Not at all!! It does not do former President Obama justice. It does not do him justice.

Looks like Mr Obama is suspended in mid-air and if not, looks like his legs are too short to reach the ground. Looks like an extra finger is under his little finger of his left hand.

I can appreciate some 'artistic' flair but isn't this a portrait of the 44th President of the USA. It does not do him justice.

What is with the wallpaper of leaves as a background.

Sadly it is similar in style of that in Mad magazine.

Obama 1.jpg
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Hmmm. I hadn't noticed the finger. Has he got two right hands?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Hmmm. I hadn't noticed the finger. Has he got two right hands?
    Is his left leg 2" longer than his right.

Is the distance from his knuckles to his wrist on his left hand so much longer than on his right?

His left ear lobe looks somewhat like Mr Spock.

Sorry, but that portrait really does not do Mr Obama any favors whatsoever.

I like the portraits. They're portraits and they're art. That is confusing to a lot of people. I like that too.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I am underwhelmed by the Michelle portrait.

1. She's way livelier than that
    2. The likeness is... only approximate
    3. It looks only half-complete

Oh... I get grey-scale... I just don't like this example.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Perhaps it's just because I ain't got no class, but I think both portraits are hideous. Michelle's doesn't even look like her. These are the official presidential portraits that hang in the national gallery. They should be very traditional and distinguished. These things are too artsy-fartsy for me. I like all art to be very realistic.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

This is why they're great.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Perhaps it's just because I ain't got no class, but I think both portraits are hideous. Michelle's doesn't even look like her.
    Both of the Obamas disagree with you, and they should know better than any of us.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    I like all art to be very realistic.
    Photo-realism! Meh!

I get what your saying but prefer more expression in art.
    Skip

Don't like it (them)? Don't hire the artists or buy one of their works: After all, "Money talks", dunnit?

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There is one of herself as well

by Amy Sherald. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43036228
    No issue with small hands here.

Photo-realism! Meh!

I get what your saying but prefer more expression in art.

Perhaps then, the 'portrait' of Michelle Obama should have been like this

Portrait | Define Portrait at Dictionary.com
    www.dictionary.com/browse/portrait
    a likeness of a person, especially of the face, as a painting, drawing, or photograph: a gallery of family portraits.

Portrait | Definition of Portrait by Merriam-Webster
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/portrait
    Define portrait: picture; especially : a pictorial representation of a person usually showing the face — portrait in a sentence.

portrait | Definition of portrait in English by Oxford Dictionaries
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/portrait
    Definition of portrait - a painting, drawing, photograph, or engraving of a person, especially one depicting only the face or head and shoulders, denoting.

I don't see Michelle in that painting! Do you?
    Skip

I don't see Michelle in that painting! Do you?
    I am trying to point out that a portrait is a likeness of a person. I don't think that Mrs Obama is grey!

Similar artistic expression could have been done for her (given your prefer more expression in art) and could have been done to Mr Obama. Ugh

Critics aghast at former first lady Michelle Obama's official portrait
    I think that these 'portraits' of the Former President of the United States of America and the Former First Lady of the United States of America are absolutely hideous.

Last edited by Rum_Pirate; 02-12-2018 at 05:18 PM.

'Fifty shades of grey' to record the Former First Lady of the United States of America ? Ugh !

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post

I think that these 'portraits' of the Former President of the United States of America and the Former First Lady of the United States of America are absolutely hideous.
    well, good for you. Since you don't have to hang them in your home, it makes no difference if you or anyone else like them or not.

In fact, the only people for whom it matters is the Obamas, and they apparently like them.
    I rather be American than a Republican.

Some other Presidential Portraits --- You will love these!!!

Skip

Obama's portrait reminds me of my dad. He was an artist, art educator and a frequent juror of some of the most prestigious art exhibitions in the country over the years. I use to occasionally sit down with him as he would go through reel after reel of submitted slides when doing the initial weeding-out for art shows. He would essentially "rough-cut" the shows from slides, then later travel to wherever it was being held and do the final judging from the actual paintings.

The backdrop of leaves in this one, which has no actual position in space would have driven him nuts. Are they vertical, like a wall, or horizontal like a floor? If they were both, they wouldn't look the same, and otherwise they're just kind of floating somewhere in space for no good reason. The combination of some very realistic areas, like the face, and some which are a lot closer to being cartoon-like, like the chair's back also don't work well together.

I understand the artist's desire to do something different from most portraits, but sorry Mr. President, this isn't great art by a long shot.

^ What Todd said.

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I like the portrait bits, but the wallpaper background not so much. But what do I know? I just draw boats.
    Reminds me of Gilbert & George. I actually like the combination it feels contemporary which is how I felt about his whole presidency.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    I am trying to point out that a portrait is a likeness of a person. I don't think that Mrs Obama is grey!

Similar artistic expression could have been done for her (given your prefer more expression in art) and could have been done to Mr Obama. Ugh

Did W paint these?

From an art and design perspective, these are both great. Especially after reading bios on the artists, themselves. I like both paintings for different reasons. I'm quite happy they aren't just stiff and boring traditional fluff and ego pieces. Museums are full of that stuff and even with an art background, I tend to walk right past them to find more interesting pieces.

-Trevor

what's up with the area around President Obama's left temple... his hair/ head looks unfinished there?

These portraits are where the conservative in me rears it's ugly head.
    If you want an artsy-fartsy portrait, well, that's all fine and good. Just don't use it to define your presidency. The official portraits should be very formal, no two ways about it.

No body ever better make fun of my velvet elvis ........

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    No body ever better make fun of my velvet elvis ........
    Did you get it from Walmart?

I personally love the Obama portrait the artist is known for his bright, brash, history-laden, kitsch-tinged portraits.

From the "FAILING" NYT review of his 2015 show at the Brooklyn Museum

Since 2001, Mr. Wiley has been inserting black individuals into the generally lily-white history of Western portraiture, casting them in poses — including on rearing steeds — derived from Renaissance and old master paintings of saints, kings, emperors, prophets, military leaders, dandies and burghers. Usually these works have titles identical or similar to their sources, among them “Napoleon Leading the Army Over the Alps,” and “Colonel Platoff on his Charger,” creating the delicious sense that Mr. Wiley’s updates are perfectly normal, which in a way they are. Still, they are conceptually provocative and should startle just about anyone, regardless of race, creed or color, even if his often thin, indifferently worked surfaces can leave something to be desired as paintings.In a way that few other living artists match, Mr. Wiley’s art is overtly, legibly full of the present. His paintings reflect some of the problems and pleasures of being alive right now, in times fraught with corrosive bigotry and inequality; flooded with images, goods and sounds; and enriched by the incessant, even ecstatic interplay of cultures — whether high, low or sub — around the globe.
    In the 44 paintings here, Mr. Wiley’s subjects wear hip-hop fashion or designer gowns, and in addition to posing as kings and saints, they mimic aristocratic ladies in well-known paintings from the Louvre or masterworks of African sculpture. Very occasionally, we see someone famous and in costume, as in “Equestrian Portrait of King Philip II (Michael Jackson)” based on a painting by Peter Paul Rubens. In Mr. Wiley’s reprise, produced in 2009, the face of the tragic pop star, who died that year, is overwhelmed by the ostentatious royal armor and hovering cherubs.
    Often, Mr. Wiley’s subjects are seen against decorative patterns based on textiles from various cultures — rich brocades, British Arts & Crafts designs, Africa-inspired Dutch wax-resist fabrics. Mostly floral designs, they curl across the figures, confusing foreground and background. Anointed with carved black or gold frames that look a little too fake, these paintings keep company with other borrowings from art history: among them six imposing full-length portraits in stained glass that are too photographic, and four bronze portrait busts that muster a terrific hauteur but otherwise are generically academic. In nearly every instance, the figures are larger than life; some paintings are nearly as big as billboards.
    Continue reading the main story

But there are also small-scale portraits of young black men, some on gold leaf, like Byzantine icons, and others ensconced in sturdy wood frames equipped with doors. Resembling portable altarpieces, and based on the austere portraits from the 1400s by Hans Memling, they bring to mind the quiet perfection of Northern Renaissance works amped up with a contemporary sense of seductiveness.
    When it comes to art history, Mr. Wiley has not only scores to settle but also possibilities to explore. He sees this terrain as ripe with potential, a revisionist approach that he shares with artists as diverse as Nicole Eisenman, Dana Schutz, Carroll Dunham, John Currin and especially Mickalene Thomas, who also inserts black women into art history (and with a degree of painterly innovation that exceeds Mr. Wiley’s).
    Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 02-12-2018 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Edited read the red section for emphases

I should also say I'm a big fan of Chuck Close's Clinton Portrait