Thread: Resurrecting Jamesí How to Build a Gimbaled Stove Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Resurrecting Jamesí How to Build a Gimbaled Stove Thread

On another thread, a couple of people asked whatever happened to the thread mentioned in the title. I asked myself the same question. Imagine my surprise, when, looking for something else on my hard drive, I found that I had saved a copy of the thread.

So, in the spirit of public service, I am re-posting the how-to parts of that thread. I won't bother re-posting all the discussion and comment that came after, as those will likely spontaneously regenerate.

Build your own gimballed boat stove -- step-by-step, by James McMullen

A steaming mug of piping hot tea or coffee or soup is often all that stands between abject wretchedness and a brisk but exhilarating sail this time of year. But the trick of cooking aboard a little boat while underweigh requires a stove that is gimballed and will keep the kettle in its place no matter how much the boat heels or pitches. I got a nifty new little backpacker's kettle from REI this x-mas that just needs a stove to fit it and I'll be all set.

I used to have a commercial version of this kind of gimballed boat stove called the SeaCook, but I sold it along with the boat it was in a couple of years ago, and when I went to look into a replacement to put aboard Phoebe, I experienced some horrible sticker shock. These things were ex-pen-sive! Well phooey on that! My shop gets lonely and misses me if I'm away for longer than 24 hours in a row anyways, so I went in today and made one out of a simple Coleman camping stove I already owned for the cost of just a couple of used sauce pans from the local thrift store.

Here's a step-by-step guide for any of you others who need to make one for your own boat.

Start by heading to the local Goodwill or garage sales or equivalent and get a couple of cheap saucepans to use for materials. You can use steel or aluminum pans, but aluminum is easier to cut and drill with basic shop tools. These heavy-wall aluminum pans I got cost me all of nine bucks for the pair of them. You'll want a pair with straight walls that nest, and make sure that the smaller one is big enough that the pots or kettles that you plan to cook with will be able to fit down inside it as well.

The pots:

The single-burner Coleman stove designed to screw onto a standard propane bottle (I've had this thing for years):

And that sexy new GSI camp kettle--which almost certainly cost more than the entire stove, actually:
    Last edited by AJZimm; 02-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.
    Alex

"A man who is not afraid of the sea will soon be drowned, for he will be going out on a day he shouldn't. We do be afraid of the sea, and we only be drowned now and again" Aran Islands Fisherman