Thread: Photo Challenge - Week of 12 February 2018 - Black & White Photography

Default Photo Challenge - Week of 12 February 2018 - Black & White Photography

The intent: There are no real rules. Just grab any camera, any format, and take a photo (or as many as you like) this week and post it to this thread. My hopes are to foster friendly discussions on the subjects of photography as well as the content of the photographs as they relate to each week's challenge. The challenge this week is 'Black & White Photography'.

Have fun. Use your imagination.

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: Photo Challenge - Week of 12 February 2018 - Black & White Photography

Thin-skinned individuals need not apply, or are discussions to eschew critique? <wink, grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Default Re: Photo Challenge - Week of 12 February 2018 - Black & White Photography

My hopes are to foster friendly discussions on the subjects of photography as well as the content of the photographs as they relate to each week's challenge.
    . . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Oh, OK... I'll go first. (Bunch of wusses... ) <grin>

Simon Watt's boathouse, Middle Island, Lahave Islands, 2013:

Middle Island, Watts' boathouse, B&W.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

OK, I'll kick in. I can't claim credit for the photo, although it was taken with my old Nikon. I gave the camera to Megg, to take some shots at the farewell party on Saturday night for my girlfriend's daughter.... who is off interstate to uni. It came back with some lovely images.... and, unfortunately, a no-longer working flash. Here's one that I've de-saturated.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

This one misses the week by a couple of days.... but seeing how entry one missed it by, ahem, four years.....

It's B&W.... in the subject matter, at least. Magpie

More from the party on Saturday

There's always one, eh? His mother was called to come collect him.

and on a nicer note

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

Steve Martinsen

Ian, the image of the young man would make a good perfume ad.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    It's like herding cats. If you say this week the photos are guaranteed to not be from this week.

I saw that too.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Ok... two from today.

Both actually taken in monochrome on the P&S Canon G16

Patiently waiting to take me fishing.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    It's like herding cats. If you say this week the photos are guaranteed to not be from this week.
    Guilty.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

My desk, walked passed it on my way out and thought about this thread. Pic taken on my iPhone 5 and edited in iPhoto......

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

I was too lazy to move my butt off the couch so this is what you get.

F16A1162-C5F7-4EA6-A783-2FF79B7FD85F.jpg

Another without moving my butt from the couch.

BEBA7F98-294C-46FB-B65B-8C3293CE830B.jpg
    Last edited by ron ll; 02-13-2018 at 10:09 PM.

And the home made lens that shot it.

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

From my daily walk.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Moon between Clinton and Madison col
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Ranger emerging from the fog .

And other things, too.

Schooner and beetle cat.

And other things, too.

On my walk today.

And other things, too.

From today....

This week? Nah.

I took a lovely B&W image of a Ferrari Testarossa and another of a special Ferrari that's worth well over double the TR's value yesterday, as I perused a mate's car collection.... but he doesn't want images posted. The ten cars in that garage were all special... all mouthwatering - and he's got another shed-full too.

So.... given his request, I'll post an older one. A work colleague's AMG G63. The G was originally built for army use in the 70's... but they have a bit of a cult following. This one's got 563 hp and oodles of torque.

Our 15 year old Kenmore clothes dryer gave up the ghost. This lead to yesterdays trip to the coin laundry. The nearest one I knew of was over in a Latin and African immigrant neighborhood. Clean little place for a public laundry that must be over 60 years old. New Whirlpool dryer will be here this afternoon. Really quick service from Lowes.

[IMG]B&amp;W February 2018 by Skip Kilpatrick, on Flickr[/IMG]

Then an afternoon of fishing with a buddy at a local pond. Nothing much to report, a couple of sunfish and a couple of bluegills. But, it was a nice pretty day for February.

Then over to a dive bar for a beer and a burger.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Yeah yeah... I posted these yesterday on the car thread... but hey, they are from Saturday.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

This is from a few months back. I took some today that I might put up later if they are any good.

cypress preserve B&W 01 800.jpg

Bald cypress?

Very pretty.
    Skip

Yes, bald cypress.

Three photos from this afternoon. I don't think these are really particularly good, but I'll post them anyway.

Brick Mill Ck 02-19-2018 800.jpg

Brick Mill RR 02-19-2018 800.jpg

RR crosstie 800.jpg