Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Conservatives More Susceptible to Believing Lies?

Default Re: Why Are Conservatives More Susceptible to Believing Lies?

Quote Originally Posted by ljb5 View Post
    I’m not sure which policy you’re referring to, but you said it goes back 30 years... so that’s Reagan, Bush Sr, Bush Jr and now Trump.
    The court case declaring the practice unconstitutional was in the mid 80s. The practice is still used. Certainly, any president could have ended it. I would not have expected the Republicans to end the practice. I would have expected the Democrats to end it. If you want black people to vote for you, it might be a good practice to not step on their constitutional rights.

I am not going to infer that you are susceptible to believing lies. But to imply that racial discrimination practiced during a Democratic administration is a problem related to Republicans seems to be a false belief.

The specific policy is a HUD or treasury policy to not provide loan insurance for projects that increased the proportion of blacks in white neighborhoods. You might notice the important words - black and white, and see the discrimination. The policy exists today.
    Life is complex.

“The tax cuts are the most significant tax cut -- most significant reform in American history, with tremendous tax relief for working families, for small businesses, for big businesses that produce jobs -- for just about everybody.” DT
    Repeated 57 times: Jan 18, 2018Jan 10Jan 8Jan 8Dec 22, 2017Dec 22Dec 22Dec 20Dec 18Dec 18Dec 13Dec 12Dec 8Dec 1Nov 29Nov 28Nov 27Nov 2Nov 2Nov 2Nov 1Nov 1Oct 31Oct 31Oct 29Oct 25Oct 25Oct 18Oct 18Oct 17Oct 17Oct 16Oct 16Oct 16Oct 11Oct 10Oct 7Oct 6Oct 6Oct 6Sep 29Sep 27Sep 24Sep 22Sep 6Jul 25Jun 26Jun 21Jun 8Jun 7May 18May 17May 5May 4May 4May 1May 1

Trump’s tax cut is nearly 0.9 percent of the gross domestic product, meaning it would be far smaller than President Ronald Reagan’s tax cut in 1981, which was 2.89 percent of GDP. Trump’s tax cut is the eighth largest tax cut — and even smaller than two tax cuts passed under Barack Obama.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

trumps tax cut is not Trump's only thing that's smaller than Obama's.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time
    The Democrats seem to have lost a lot of votes by not giving the groups they claim to have empathy for anything.
    Where did the Democrats lose votes? Are you referring to the 2016 general election? As I recall the Democratic presidential candidate received the most votes.
    War is peace.
    Freedom is slavery.
    Ignorance is strength.
    Trump is doing beautifully.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Does this thread indicate that conservatives believe lies because that is the only currency that they have?
    Interesting opinion piece I just read on it: https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...uld-ncna846456

They need lies to support the false vision they cherish of how things are and how they work.

They value truth in a limited way, e.g. the best means of making a plumbing joint watertight or how to cook a good steak. Or how to steal, cheat, gouge, bully, punish, and oppress, while proclaiming their virtue to the heavens (see Fox News).

But in larger matters, they cannot endure much truth because accepting it will force them to question their precious values and beliefs, which are mostly false.

It also helps to be stupid, so that they are unable to recognize a lie as such, as long as it supports their set of biases and hates. They are really very fragile personalities, constantly teetering on the brink of doom. That's why they are so afraid.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    The court case declaring the practice unconstitutional was in the mid 80s. The practice is still used. Certainly, any president could have ended it. I would not have expected the Republicans to end the practice. I would have expected the Democrats to end it. If you want black people to vote for you, it might be a good practice to not step on their constitutional rights.

I am not going to infer that you are susceptible to believing lies. But to imply that racial discrimination practiced during a Democratic administration is a problem related to Republicans seems to be a false belief.

The specific policy is a HUD or treasury policy to not provide loan insurance for projects that increased the proportion of blacks in white neighborhoods. You might notice the important words - black and white, and see the discrimination. The policy exists today.

I don't know if you're being intentionally cryptic or evasive, or if you really just don't have a command of the facts.

I did a google search for "obama hud policy racial discrimination" and every result returned was about Republicans fighting to reverse anti-discrimination rules that were put in place under Obama:

HUD takes aim at yet another Obama-era anti-segregation rule - Curbed

Trump's HUD Delays Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing - CityLab

Trump Administration Postpones an Obama Fair-Housing Rule - The ...

Civil rights commissioner tells Carson to rescind Obama housing ...

Ben Carson: HUD will 'reinterpret' Obama housing discrimination rule

Under Trump party planner, HUD ends Obama's battle against ...

Obama administration to unveil major new rules targeting segregation ...
    Like I said, I'm not really familiar with this issue, but it appears that pretty much every source I can find (including right-wing sources like Breitbart) acknowledge that Obama put in place new rules to combat segregation.

You haven't provided much information, but as near as I can tell, you've got it exactly wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Does this thread indicate that conservatives believe lies because that is the only currency that they have?
    Yes, pretty much. Contemporary conservatism is not about a different political philosophy than liberalism. Instead, it is all about perpetuating lies for two purposes: 1) to make conservatives feel superior and b) to avoid having to confront the reality that their ideas harm most of the people that support them.
    I rather be an American than a Republican.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Where did the Democrats lose votes? Are you referring to the 2016 general election? As I recall the Democratic presidential candidate received the most votes.

As i recall the worlds smartest woman was bested by trump who was smart enough and tough enough to work the states with the electorical votes..

You needed yo have advised hillary on this back then instead of crying now...

But as we know now libs believed the lies from the polls.

Ironic, huh?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Conservative truths - from a conservative source (so it can't possibly be fake news).
    Will conservatives even listen to their own?

(opinions expressed here are not mine)

Any talk of fiscal responsibility from Republicans, argues Mr. Riedl, is just “empty rhetoric.” He blames his party’s bipartisan deal to raise spending by $300 billion over the next two years on “precisely the kind of inside-the-Beltway, big-government deal-making” that President Trump was voted in to eliminate. How are we to account for Republicans’ reversing course on the deficit? Part of the reason might have to do with Mr. Trump’s election. The other part, he argues, might have to do with the party’s routine “bluff on spending reform.”
    http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...spending-spree
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."
    Robert Menzies - Liberal Party (Conservative) Prime Minister of Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    They want to believe the lies - so they do.

I'm not sure i agree with this one though;
    Ha HA isn't it such a riot! watching the Democrats and their entire political apparatus, including the mainstream media being OUT MANEUVERED by the Dumbest, Least Qualified, Drumph, "Very Stable Genius" of a President!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

As i recall the worlds smartest woman was bested by trump who was smart enough and tough enough to work the states with the electorical votes..

Ironic, huh?
    Truns out the Democrat polling "experts" were the real "Fake News" story! Trumpy said as much weeks before the election!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Ha HA isn't it such a riot! watching the Democrats and their entire political apparatus, including the mainstream media being OUT MANEUVERED by the Dumbest, Least Qualified, Drumph, "Very Stable Genius" of a President!!!

You're laughing now, but when it's all said and done, you're going to end up like the rest of us.... paying interest on trillion-dollar deficits, watching jobs get shipped overseas while health care costs spiral out of control and retirement plans diminish.

The only people who will be laughing then are the billionaires with their tax breaks.

But hey, at least you got a good laugh out of it. May that keep you warm in your old age.

Right wing LIE - Public healthcare is an expensive welfare program.

The truth;
    The USA has conceivably the worst public health system in the developed world. Yet the US Gumbn't spends more on healthcare than any other developed country. It spends about $10k per person per year, whereas the rolled gold 'expensive' system in that communist haven, Norway, spends about $7k. Australia is about $5k.
    Norwegians don't spend a cent more out of pocket on essential healthcare, whereas the average uninsured US citizen is financially screwed if they get seriously sick - even though through their taxes they are already spending more on services than anyone else.

So now Bobby's, why do you believe the LIE, and denounce Obamacare, in the face of facts - not alternative facts, just facts.
    (To note these facts are widely available from many reliable sources including conservative ones).

It is not a question of, can American afford a public health system, its can American afford not to have a public health system.
    However, if reigning in your deficit is not a priority, then spend spend spend on a bad system that provides poor value for money.
    "People should be able to access these benefits [Social Welfare] as a matter of right, with no more loss of their own standards of self-respect than would be involved in collecting from an insurance company the proceeds of an endowment policy on which they have been paying premiums for years."

Ironic, huh?
    I think you only look at the Gerrymandering thread to see how Hillary and the Democratic Party was outmaneuvered. It was not done through hard work on behalf of Trump or anybody in his team, but rather the Dirty tricks the republicans played to maneuver the votes in their favour.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    I think you only look at the Gerrymandering thread to see how Hillary and the Democratic Party was outmaneuvered. It was not done through hard work on behalf of Trump or anybody in his team, but rather the Dirty tricks the republicans played to maneuver the votes in their favour.

More pathetic excuses.

When will libs ever figure out they ran a loser that cheated bernie..

Ironic, huh?
    I'm not sure inaccurate polls equals lies. Maybe i'm being defensive.

Polls depend on accurate data.
    Because the data was inaccurate doesn't mean the polls were lies. You don't believe data, you either accept it or not.

yes - people accepted the data, Fox News predicted a bigger win for Clinton than almost anyone else - (kinda ironic that progressives went with that one. If Fox News said it, surely alarm bells should have gone off.....)

Those polls are generally understood to be inaccurate because Trump voters did not admit to their intentions.
    Clinton actually did slightly better than polled - in terms of numbers of votes. But Trump did way better than polled. Trumpies were, ahem, shall we say, ahem, massaging the truth?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    It is impossible - IMPOSSIBLE - to get right wingers to discuss the fact that the polling data heavily favored Hillary early on, but slowly ebbed away as the fall progressed. The email scandal was the major force, as I recall. The polling data after the Comey letter showed a narrow gap. A few days before the election I had a conversation with a friend who runs one of the major, and most accurate polling agencies - he had just one comment, "Trump might very well win."

No right winger on this forum can be engaged in discussion on what happened.

No right winger on this forum can be engaged to discuss that polling in August is not wrong, if the polling data changes in October.

They would prefer to twirl around until they get dizzy with gloat, or post emojis. They insist on controlling the narrative...because they won.

Remind you of anyone?

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I think there is truth in that statement.
    I don't envy Americans the choice they had to make.
    But to actually vote for a sleaze ball like Trump........ Why would you do it?

Clinton may represent the worst of dynastic insider corporate politics. I'm no fan of that.
    But Trump represents the worst of humankind.

Conservatives were never going to vote for Clinton - fine.
    But to believe the lies vomited out of the Trump campaign and then to vote FOR him ..... and to defend him! Even when his lies are exposed...... Why?

I think the OP and the links explain it well.

Quote Originally Posted by pipefitter View Post
    It's because Liberals suck at handling the alternative.

How does it feel to suck at being right?

The truth is up for grabs, but the liberals just F it up so badly that half of the country can't be caught following the liberal slant on the so-called truth.

It's not conservatives fault that liberals aren't good keepers of the truth.

Look at what liberals have managed with this forum. All they can do is sit around and insult people all day. Who wants to be like that, other than other bitter liberals?

I mean, c'mon. You ran Hillary Clinton and she lost to Trump. Hopefully, the next generation of liberals are better at this game than the current one.
    You appear (among the insults) to be saying that Conservatives believe lies because Progressives don't articulate the truth well enough...? is that correct?

So in answer to the OP, Why are conservatives more susceptible to believing lies?, your response is; because they are not capable of discerning the truth for themselves, and progressives aren't doing a good enough job on their behalf.

Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    They need lies to support the false vision they cherish of how things are and how they work.

They value truth in a limited way, e.g. the best means of making a plumbing joint watertight or how to cook a good steak. Or how to steal, cheat, gouge, bully, punish, and oppress, while proclaiming their virtue to the heavens (see Fox News).

But in larger matters, they cannot endure much truth because accepting it will force them to question their precious values and beliefs, which are mostly false.

It also helps to be stupid, so that they are unable to recognize a lie as such, as long as it supports their set of biases and hates. They are really very fragile personalities, constantly teetering on the brink of doom. That's why they are so afraid.
    Yep. Unfortunately, the ethos demands that if they can't preserve, or build, or whatever, the country of their vision, then they must destroy the country that is. Like a guy murdering the girl that broke up with him so no other guy can have her.
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

More pathetic excuses.

Somebody will have to teach them that gerrymandering has no effect on presidential elections first. I’m not betting it’ll be any time soon.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    I think there is truth in that statement.
    I don't envy Americans the choice they had to make.
    But to actually vote for a sleaze ball like Trump........ Why would you do it?

Clinton may represent the worst of dynastic insider corporate politics. I'm no fan of that.
    But Trump represents the worst of humankind.

Conservatives were never going to vote for Clinton - fine.
    But to believe the lies vomited out of the Trump campaign and then to vote FOR him ..... and to defend him! Even when his lies are exposed...... Why?

I think the OP and the links explain it well.
    It's simple. He's an old white Man. After 8 years of a black man in the Oval Office, they wanted one of their own back.

If it had been Bernie instead of Hillary, he would be 45 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    It's simple. He's an old white Man. After 8 years of a black man in the Oval Office, they wanted one of their own back.

If it had been Bernie instead of Hillary, he would be 45 right now.
    Nah. Bernie was a ridiculous candidate. Too easy to make fun of his age, mannerisms, religion, political philosophy, etc.

Republicans pretended to adore him because he was nipping at Hillary's heels. But if he'd ever actually taken the lead, they would have turned on him with a vengeance and eviscerated him in a minute.

Nah. Bernie was a ridiculous candidate. Too easy to make fun of his age, mannerisms, religion, political philosophy, etc.

Republicans pretended to adore him because he was nipping at Hillary's heels. But if he'd ever actually taken the lead, they would have turned on him with a vengeance and eviscerated him in a minute.
    I don't doubt you, but there were enough "Bernie bros" that didn't vote at all once Hillary got the nod. I also know a few women who would NOT vote for Hillary, so went for Trump. Would it have made a difference? I do not know.

Would have been interesting to observe the reaction to Trump remarking, "He's a jew."
    He's a Mexican. -- Donald Trump.
    America cannot survive another four years of Barack Obama. -- Governor Chris Christie (R) New Jersey
    It wasn't racism, it was an attack on Christianity. -- Fox News
    Crying white mothers are ratings gold. -- National Rifle Association

Not the republicans problem the democrats ran a cheating loser and a socialist..

One would have thought the democrats would have run a centrist, but as we know there no such critter.

Snub fly over country, call them depolrables, only give them her or bernie then complain.

LOL

It's interesting to note that hard conservatives share the widest range of fake news, and also share the most fake news. Research here.

Do they actively seek out lies that reinforce their narrative, integrity be damned, or do they simply not care whether the crap they smear everywhere is factual? I don't know, and I don't think it makes much difference; they are deplorable either way.

What are you doing about it?

Interesting that none of the usual suspects have commented on the research.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Adding an LOL at the end blurs the line of untruths and joke. And you wonder why people didn't take your dog seriously.

No, only one person, but then, its all about him......

However, if libs had told hillary not to go low, more people might have voted for her.

The OP is still on the hate thing.

Course he believed HC was up by 10 points.

He took that lie, hook , line and sinker.

As did 99 percent of libs here.

Now libs are on a mocking campaign again.

There would be some humor there but its sorta sad the democrat party has resorted to going low.

However, if libs had told hillary not to go low, more people might have voted for her.

There would be some humor there but its sorta sad the democrat party has resorted to going low.
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-America-First!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ity-clearances
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Not the republicans problem the democrats ran a cheating loser and a socialist..

One would have thought the democrats would have run a centrist, but as we know there no such critter.
    Hillary was possibly the most centrist candidate to have ever run for the office.

Bill Clinton is in Wikipedia as the politician most identified with centrist, pro-business New Democrats. Hillary's taken a lot of flack from the progressives for being too centrist.

But, of course, Republicans don't care about stuff like that. Anyone who is willing to believe that Hillary Clinton ran a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza shop isn't going to spend a lot of time thinking about the nuances of policy trade offs.

And it was never really about policy, was it?

Hillary was possibly the most centrist candidate to have ever run for the office.

Bill Clinton is in Wikipedia as the politician most identified with centrist, pro-business New Democrats. Hillary's taken a lot of flack from the progressives for being too centrist.

But, of course, Republicans don't care about stuff like that. Anyone who is willing to believe that Hillary Clinton ran a child sex ring in the basement of a pizza shop isn't going to spend a lot of time thinking about the nuances of policy trade offs.

And it was never really about policy, was it?

I never mentioned Bill nor ever commented on a pizza shop but thanks for diverting the post i made then drawing a conclusuion from yer own ramble.